Decline request

I understand.

Maybe I should make it two notes: a short note on checkout and on the checkout day itself the note on leaving a review. That seems like a better idea as I write it. Thank you for pointing that out.

I would hope that they don’t feel that way on the stocking of our supplies for two reasons: 1) If they did tell us on the day before checkout that would be really helpful as it would give us an extra day as we might have a new guest that next day and 2) there’s a lot to check, so if the guest noticed it, ut would seem no extra effort to tell us about it. But maybe I should take that out. Let’s see what others here think.

Thanks for the feedback.

Wow! Honestly? I don’t/wouldn’t read more than a short list of explicit “must do’s” when checking out- or in for that matter.

I wouldn’t need/want a review of the glories I’ve enjoyed; and, forgive me, but I’m just not concerned about your and your team’s job satisfaction when packing and getting to the airport.

But that’s what’s wonderful about hosting - all the different styles of vetting, hosting and, yes, ensuring (hoping for?) job satisfaction😉

1 Like

OK. OK. I’m convinced that I should separate it into two separate notes. Thank you for your feedback.

So, here’s a question. Should I send the note on the review on the day of the checkout? Or the next day?

I was thinking that they might have a lot of down time on the day of checkout if it’s a long ride or flight home.

BTW, it’s a self checkout, so no keys. I’ve changed it to:

Dear short code start
[guest first name]short code end

We so hope you’ve enjoyed your stay!

You needn’t do anything special to checkout tomorrow. No need to strip the beds, that kind of thing. If you’ve moved anything, please return it to its original place. Recycling should be in recycling bins and the place should be tidy.

When you leave just leave us a note on the platform that you’ve checked out. Press the RED AUGUST logo on the keypad to lock the door. Our cleaner has been scheduled to arrive at or shortly after the check-out time of 10 am, so we’ll turn off any lights, A/C etc.

If we’re short of snacks or if any of the spices or condiments are getting low, or you’ve seen something that could benefit from our attention, or just have a suggestion, please send us a note on the platform before you leave or a text so we can try to address it before the next guest arrives.

As you pack up please don’t inadvertently pack up bathroom toiletries that we’ve provided for use during your stay.

If you need to update the number of guests for your reservation, now is the time to do that.

Thank you for choosing our home as your vacation home.

Safe travels home!

– Tania, Glenn and Bob

That were my thoughts as well but didnt’ say. Less is more in most cases

1 Like

Yep, I kind of have an issue in that regard.

But I’m working on it!

Do you think I need to even ask that? Because typically at 10 am we ring the door, and whether they answer or not (we wait a respectful time), or have left or not, we’re coming in to clean. As we say.

So maybe it’s not necessary? I ask in case they leave early and I want a head start.

As a guest, I really don’t mind giving my check-out time, as I assume cleaners want to start ASAP. As a host, I find that my “thank you/ checkout reminders” note the night before prompts many guests to give a general “we’ll be out by 9” response.

The freebies is only for an instant book booking.

The freebie cancellations (3) are only if you instant book.

Are you sure they requested to book vs inquiry. They look very similar. Also, If it’s an inquiry, after you respond, block one of the days on your calendar for a couple of days and they will get the message that the booking is not available.

If however, you see that your calendar is also block with their pending booking, then you know it was a booking request not an inquiry.

1 Like

You’re correct, I misread the OP, which confirms that while hosts do read, they can often not read :rofl:

JF

1 Like

@HostAirbnbVRBO The very first paragraph would be a total turn-off for me. “Maintained in mint condition”? “The landscaping gorgeous”?

Sorry, but that is just dripping with “God, are these people full of themselves, or what.”

And yes, it’s ridiculously long and wordy. You need to learn to convey information in bullet point form, instead of a short story.

Instead of:
“You needn’t do anything special to checkout tomorrow. No need to strip the beds, that kind of thing. If you’ve moved anything, please return it to its original place. Recycling should be in recycling bins and the place should be tidy.”

you can say it like:

"Pre-check-out instructions:

• Please return any furniture, lamps,
    etc, that have been moved to original
    position.
  • Recycling in recycling bins.
  • General tidy up. "
4 Likes

Thank you for your candid suggestions.

Can I ask folks here who agree that the first paragraph is a turn off to like Muddy’s post?

I realize that it’s a little over-the-top but I did want to give the guests some ‘copy’ that might populate the review with more specifics. I will say that since I did add that language we get much more wordy reviews (I might be contagious) and much more specific and glowing reviews.

People now write about one or more of these things I mention, whereas before they might say ‘magnificent’ or immaculate, peaceful, wonderful stay,’ just more vague reviews.

Now the reviews are more glowing and specific. And, whether coincidence or not (you never know why you’re getting more bookings) our revenues are up 4X through May. I rewrote the listing language last year and you won’t be surprised that there are no bullet points.

So you see the challenge I face? I don’t know if we’re doing well in spite of being ‘full of ourselves’ or because of it. Because when a Host writes about the ‘gorgeous landscaping’ or boasts about amenities everywhere, etc. it had better be that way. That Host is setting a high bar. So I am doing this purposefully. I’m thinking that the guest might not want to be my buddy and have a drink with me, but might think ‘Hey that’s the Host I want because they’re a little full of themselves but they deliver on it!’

Do you think there might be a less obnoxious way to accomplish my purpose?

Would it be better to say:

We so hope you’ve enjoyed your stay. Features that guests say they have liked the most include:

• Cleanliness
  • Open layout
  • Landscaping
  • River stream
  • Kitchen
  • Well-stocked pantry
  • TV projection system
  • Amenities

What did you like the most? Where could we do better?

Your stay has been orchestrated by our team of three: Tania’s vision guides the decor, design and colors you see inside and out. Glenn runs day to day Operations, Communications and amenities. Bob is our master gardener, housecleaner extraordinaire and pool master.

We hope that we’ve earned your five star review. We work hard for these, and our Airbnb community deserves your input.

Please leave us a note outside of the review process to let us know what we could have done that would have made your stay more enjoyable.

– Tania, Glenn and Bob

A lot better. I hope you didn’t take my post above to mean that you are full of yourself, but that if I were a guest, that is how that wording would come across to me.

I’m just not sure why you feel you need to put words in guests’ mouths in order to prompt them to be complimentary in a review. That you’ve noticed that some guests have left nicer reviews, even if you think it’s because of your messaging, doesn’t seem worth possibly offending some guests who might feel they are being pressured to leave a great review.

There are lots of things I think are special about my place, but I would never dream of pointing them out to guests as being special.

I have gotten lovely reviews- guests glowingly mentioning the garden, the architecture, the cleanliness, the detail work, without me ever suggesting to them that they might want to comment on those things in the review.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have made those changes, and I think it is better.

Yes, I do feel that it is helpful to put words in people’s mouths, as that has worked for me in my work life. I found that when I did not we got reviews that while complimentary lacked substance: “Great workshop!” “Excellent program!” “Very well done!” By suggesting words as I did above we received more substantive reviews, which candidly was much more helpful than the previous reviews. And the same here. But toning it down makes some sense.

I think there is a difference in your situation from ours. You are a home share host and by your situation and personality develop a personal relationship with your guests. We as a full-home host, and self-check-in, self check-out really don’t. Some we get to know a bit, but mostly not.

And there is a personality difference. I AM enthusiastic about the landscaping, excited about the amenities, a bit obsessed about getting things in mint condition, eager to please and go the extra mile. I WANT that glowing and specific review, because I think it will drive bookings but also because it energizes me, and I hope, our team. So I wear that on my sleeve a bit, but I also can tone it down and I think guests will still feel that energy without it becoming just too too much.

So I’ve made the changes and I thank you for your candid input.

As an aside, the Host feels as you do. In her correspondence, when she ran things, she simply asked for a review. She got mostly 5’s as we do now. No difference in stars. There is now a difference in the length and specificity of the reviews. We are getting more business now but we really don’t know why.

I probably shouldn’t share this but in response to a review that made a suggestion on how we could do better, I responded:

Guest! We live in world that demands hospitality and that hospitality has to be conducted by Hosts with patience and attention to detail. Who’s gonna do it? A management company? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep that you saw an ant and you curse your Airbnb host. You have that luxury.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a guest who rises and sleeps under the heated bed warmer of the very hospitality that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you WANT me as your Host, you NEED me as your Host.

I would rather that you just said “thank you,” gave me five stars and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up some boric acid and kill the damn things. Either way, I don’t give a DAMN what you think you’re entitled to!

Too much??

[I jest.]

1 Like

Suggestions from the people that have been in the business a long time is usually pretty good advice, there are many on this site that will help. I think “Less is More”
Maybe I wouldn’t toot my own horn, if your guests think your place is lovely they will tell you. If you ask them to do this and that and that they are more apt to say “stuff it” and not bother to review you. Guests are good shoppers, they probably used the filter for super hosts, so telling them that you are is isn’t needed, plus; they read the reviews. If a guest has a negative review in comments to you I would just say thank you for your input, something non confrontational. Best of luck hosting. I am loving hosting with airbnb so far…i’m a newbie though

Oh, I agree with you.

I’m getting good feedback here, though I do need to tailor it to my personality style though not my wordy style.

I think the changes I made based on @muddy’s comments are a step in the right direction. Some Hosts might take two steps, for me one is good for now.

We haven’t received a negative review yet, but I will take it seriously and respond truthfully without channeling Col. Jessup.

Best of luck to you as well!

Thank you, John.

Modesty forbids my asking what the two awards are, but that won’t stop me preparing my acceptance speech.

A reminder: From the FAQ about this group:

This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion
Improve the Discussion
Be Agreeable When You Disagree
`You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people.

Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction.

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.