Dealing with Guest that's also a Host?

Got an upcoming booking from a guest, who also happens to be an experienced host (52 reviews, superhost, all 5 stars) .

Are Guests that are also hosts more challenging to deal with?

Are they more entitled? Perhaps more difficult to impress/ please because they have ‘seen it all’

Or are they like any other guest?

Please talk about your experiences and any advice would be welcome?

I know some hosts have had really bad experiences with other hosts. Sometimes it’s that they are nitpicky, as if they are comparing yours to what they think of as their perfect listing, and don’t give 5* ratings, sometimes it’s just the usual entitled guest behavior, like showing up with more people than booked for, sneaking in a pet, leaving a mess.

But I have hosted 3 other hosts and they were all great guests who left 5* ratings. They all happened to be home-share hosts, like me, who I think tend to be more laid-back, accepting people in general.

What I think is that hosts aren’t any different as guests than the general public is. Some will be great, some will be awful.

It’s assuming that they will be good, respectful, understanding guests, just because they are also hosts, that’s the mistake.

3 Likes

Not at all. In my experience guests who are hosts have been lovely. With most of them we’ve had a good chat about the problems and difficulties of hosting and swapped stories about less-than-perfect guests. Fun really.

5 Likes

My worst EVER review was from another host. She booked my tiny house for 1 guest and then informed me she was bringing 5. She squealed about the extra guest fee. I am strict cancelation, so she couldn’t cancel without loss of fees.
I upgraded her from 2 bedroom 1 bath to 3 bedroom 2 bath at no extra cost because she would be more comfortable. We were in the middle of a heat wave. I ran the aircon for hours before she arrived. when she did arrive she got out of the car without the others. She abused me when i wanted to confirm the guest numbers, saying I made her feel dishonest (!), I did the house tour…explained how to keep it cool…obviously not listening to a word I said…
Guess who isn’t hosting any more… :rofl: :crazy_face:
Now another recent guest read all my reviews and asked about the only poor review from that guest!

3 Likes

I stayed as a guest in Arizona and after I left she sent me a message saying I was the best guest she ever hosted. I think as a host myself, I was more considerate than the average guest that might be a bit clueless. So I think you will be pleased, she will leave the place in great shape.

3 Likes

I’ve read stories both ways. Some hosts can be overly critical. Some hosts can be overly sympathetic. The reality is most occurrences are probably somewhere in the middle that aren’t worthy of writing about on a public forum.

If you get a guest that is also a host, look at it as an opportunity to get another host’s perspective and actively solicit their feedback. To my knowledge, I only had one booking from a guest that was also an experienced host (I had 2 other guests that were technically hosts, but didn’t have meaningful experience). I communicated with her that I was excited to get another host’s perspective on my listing and hosting style and she was enthusiastic about it. Unfortunately, her reservation was in April 2020 and she cancelled due to COVID. I would definitely approach any experienced host the same way with the expectation of getting valuable feedback and avoiding an overly critical public review.

1 Like

We’ve had great experience with guests who are also hosts. Across the board.

1 Like

My host guests have been fine. Just remember that what people "read on the internet about this kind of situation is likely to be problems. Most stays go well regardless of all the things we torture ourselves about in advance.

DO NOT TREAT A HOST/GUEST DIFFERENTLY. And don’t judge all Host/Guests by the actions of others!

There are always Jerk Guests – whether they are Hosts or not. As a host, when I travel (as I will be for the next two weeks) I try never to be critical of someone else’s listing, but I will in some situations offer suggestions, based on my own experiences, of things that might work better. Things like two nightstands by the bed (or at least one where I can put my glasses and phone). Things like a stack of paper cups in a shared bath down the hall, not just one glass for 3 rooms of guests.

3 Likes

As with guests, I don’t think you can generalize. What you can do is look at the reviews the host has received and the reviews that they have given. That is probably the best indication of what to expect.

I’ve hosted several AirBNB hosts, and admittedly, prior to their arrival, I looked over their listings to see what they provided so I could address any shortcomings I might have; I didn’t find any. Those guests (hosts) all left great reviews and asked for some details about my listing that they wanted to replicate.

2 Likes

This has been discussed a few times before @rexbanner

Probably worth you using the search function to see what’s already been discussed on this topic.

I agree that attitudes vary as much with hosts as other guests. I do enjoy sharing stories. I have had hosts ask for host-to-host discounts and had one offered to me once when I booked. We don’t generally offer such discounts. Some of my host guests have listings that I would love to rent someday.

I’ve used Airbnb a lot when traveling and that includes out of the country. I have had some truly great experiences and given all good reviews. I let the small stuff go and do not complain about things. The only trouble at one place in France was the internet. The host went out of her way the day I checked in to figure it out. The resolution wasn’t perfect, but it mostly worked as I need to stay in touch with my co-host while gone. In France I had people pick me up at train stations and one host and I went hiking and eating out together.

1 Like

:grimacing:

What in the world? I hate disposables so I’d have to take a cup or glass from the kitchen to use.

1 Like

Probably best to avoid that kind of situation. That said, I’ve said here that any host traveling my way is welcome here with a discount. I went on a trip 4 years ago and a host offered me one of her Airbnb rooms for 4 nights and refused to take payment. I’d just be paying it forward.

I hear you on the disposables. I just don’t.

2 Likes

Absolutely this. I always ask for guest feedback during the visit and if I get a less-than-5* on an item, I write a quick note asking what I can do better or why (one was about Air’s fees and I explained that I, too, pay fees and she was apologetic).

Yup. Great advice.

1 Like

The few I’ve had have been good to exchange ideas and give an honest assessment. I did have one who asked for a substantial term discount crying poor and then when I checked their listing it was their luxury house they were hoping to arbitrage by renting out my not so luxury place. When I declined their bid they replied “but we really need the money!”. So do I.

9 Likes

Thanks for the advice guys…

Basically, treat them, like you would any other guest…

And perhaps use this situation to your advantage i.e. get tips and exchange thoughts and ideas with a fellow host

1 Like

Typically, Other Hosts understand how challenging Airbnb is, a ton of work, so many details to attend to. Any decent human being, who is also a Host, will behave well and treat you fairly. Then there are the exceptions, people with a perpetual gripe against life, always finding fault and blaming others.

3 Likes