Date change request - best way to deal with this?

Hi all, I had a one night reservation for tonight and just got a date change request for 2 weeks away. I’m feeling a bit like she is trying to get out of paying for a cancellation (on a holiday weekend, no less). If I decline the change in the dates is there a penalty to me?

Thank you for always being so helpful here!

2 Likes

Do not accept a change that allows for a cancellation. Just decline, it will not hurt you.

I wonder if you even have to respond, just let it time out… Maybe someone else knows and will chime in.

RR

1 Like

Thank you. She hasn’t given any reason for her change and I have a gut feeling that she just wants to cancel.

I just saw your edit. I’ll wait a few more minutes and see what other’s may have to say about it.

I assume you have 24 hours to respond, by then the reservation is over if its a one nighter.

I would not allow the change.

The obvious issue is this non staying guest will be allowed to review you since the reservation starts today.

RR

1 Like

You can just decline the change request. There’s no penalty. She’s certainly trying to get out of a cancellation fee, it’s a well-known scam.

2 Likes

This is an age old trick to get around paying per cancellation policy. Do not agree to the change. Just decline it or let it time out. If you change it they will cancel asap and you’ll get nothing.

1 Like

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2389/can-i-decline-an-alteration-request

Thank you all! You have confirmed my suspicions. I’m just going to decline. I considered telling her to cancel and change the dates, and I would refund her after 10 days if the dates were re-booked (highly unlikely).

4 Likes

Thank you for that link!

2 Likes

I’d probably let it run out, rather than declining. It might be a subtle difference, but declining to me seems a little more…antagonistic? Maybe that’s just in my head, though.

4 Likes

Since your guest is not communicating a reason for the change and is clearly trying to work the system, you could also just ignore the request. There is no penalty for that either. I’d probably ignore in this particular situation.

2 Likes

Perhaps you ask the guest to cancel and offer a refund if re-booked for tonight, which we know will not happen.

RR

2 Likes

There’s no time limit to respond.

1 Like

I think I’ll send her this offer:

Hi Guest, I’m sorry I’m unable to accept your date change request. If you would like to cancel the reservation and re-book for the dates requested I will refund you in 10 days if tonight gets booked by a new guest. Thank you.

Seem reasonable?

4 Likes

“Guest,
As I’m sure you understand, changing this reservation at the last minute and rescheduling two weeks out makes it possible for you to cancel without penalty, which would be unfair to me. However, if you would like to cancel the reservation and I am able to rebook with another guest, I would be happy to refund you.”

1 Like

Thank you! I hope you don’t mind, but I used your wording in my message to the guest.

1 Like

Yes, more than fair.

RR

I probably wouldn’t have used that wording. It assumes or implies possible bad intent on the part of the guest. If she didn’t have such intent it’s kind of insulting. If she didn’t realize it would get her out of any cancel penalty you’ve now let her in on the secret.

If I knew more about the guest or your rental I’d have a better idea of how I wanted to approach it but it’s done now and you got excellent advice here. You’ve been very fair to her on the chance that it’s an innocent request.

Please let us know what happens.

3 Likes

Well, she says she’s military and got called in to work. She finally started communicating. Because I’m too flipping nice, I went ahead and did the change. She says she really wants to come. Maybe I’ll get lucky and get a last minute booking. I had one last night, so it possible.

Btw, my place isn’t super far from you. It’s in TorC, NM. Close to the hot springs. We’ve been getting a lot of one nighter’s coming to soak. Almost everyone that stays is from El Paso.

One thing for sure is that is a completely believable story. I get quite a few military guests both in the dog biz and at my Airbnb and they get their plans messed with all the time. I would certainly give her the benefit of the doubt.

1 Like