Damaged chair in rented flat

One of my guests,a very unpleasant one who found fault with absolutely everything at that,seems to have damaged an expensive chair in my flat during a two week stay with her daughter…presumably the child was jumping about. She denies it and the cleaning team unfortunately didn’t notice/report it.
What can I do? The chair cost over £300 and cannot be repaired.

Hmmm, is there something you’re not telling us? You just posted about another guest that found lots of faults and got a refund.

Remove expensive items from your listing. It’s part of “guest-proofing”.

2 Likes

If the guest doesn’t admit to it, you won’t be able to request reimbursement from them. It’s probably too late to put in a claim with Airbnb but it doesn’t hurt to try.

There were two different guests but very alike,only the ine who got the refund was smart and calculating,the other one was just negative.

| Brian_R170
September 22 |

• | - |

Cillikugel:

who found fault with absolutely everything

Hmmm, is there something you’re not telling us? You just posted about another guest that found lots of faults and got a refund.

Cillikugel:

damaged an expensive chair in my flat

What can I do?

Remove expensive items from your listing. It’s part of “guest-proofing”.

Thanks…but how CAN one then get compensation if it’s their word against mine?

| Ritz3
September 22 |

• | - |

If the guest doesn’t admit to it, you won’t be able to request reimbursement from them. It’s probably too late to put in a claim with Airbnb but it doesn’t hurt to try.

Have you not put in a claim with the guest following their stay showing photos/video of the damage and an estimate for the repair @

In the past I was able to get compensated directly by the guests, but they admitted to the damage. I sent them a request for funds. Since your guest is not admitting to the damage, you can submit a request to Airbnb but it’s time sensitive so they might not even let you submit a request but you should try anyway. You will need pictures of the damaged chair and receipts. They also deduct for wear and tear. So if the chair is, lets say 10 years old, you will not get fully reimbursed for the full price you paid.

@Cillikugel If your cleaner didn’t notice the damage after the guest left and you have had more guests since then, don’t waste your time trying to get Airbnb to compensate you. They will reject the claim because you have no proof as to which guest did the damage.

Damages have to be reported before a new guest checks in.

1 Like

If you didn’t request on a timely basis, your loss is probably indeed YOUR loss. As others have said, leaving expensive items in a rental is just asking for trouble.

If you have short term rental insurance, you could file a claim there, although many policies have a deductible. Since this is the second time you’ve had this happen you should try to determine WHY it’s happening and see what you can change about the flat or how you are attracting and screening problem guests.

1 Like

Yes,I realize that…still can’t understand the cleaning team not noticing!

Air has at least accepted the complaint…it’s actually Houst’s cleaners who should have noticed the damage!

1 Like

I’m so glad they accepted the complaint. Hopefully they will give you a payout to cover your loss. Keep us posted.

Air is very Guest Centric. Unless you have:

• Before & after photos
  • AND the Guest admits / agrees they caused damage

Without all that, Air will probably care less and you will end up eating the cost. In such a situation, we would absolutely post on Air’s Twitter and FB pages - which has at least some chance to get Air to see things your way.

As many have said, don’t put things in a stay that are valuable or easily damaged.

Well, I assume they are being employed to clean, not to go over every single item in your listing to make sure nothing has been damaged. It’s always much more evident to a homeowner if something might be missing or damaged than it is to someone else, even if they are familiar with the place. Cleaners often notice things like that and will inform the host, but I don’t think you can reasonably expect them to catch everything.

Well no…they ARE employed for this as well as I’m abroad and have an agency that manages the rentals of the flat including the cleaning,this being one of their services!

1 Like

Maybe they should take a quick video w/ their phone after cleaning before next check-in?

They do that,in fact they take 20-40 photos but the team I had that time was obviously not competent!

| Jefferson
September 23 |

• | - |

Maybe they should take a quick video w/ their phone after cleaning before next check-in?

Could you tell me the best way to post on Twitter … have never done this before?
Is there any point 8n doing so after AirBB has made their decision?

| Jefferson
September 22 |

• | - |

Air is very Guest Centric. Unless you have:

• Before & after photos
  • AND the Guest admits / agrees they caused damage

Without all that, Air will probably care less and you will end up eating the cost. In such a situation, we would absolutely post on Air’s Twitter and FB pages - which has at least some chance to get Air to see things your way.

As many have said, don’t put things in a stay that are valuable or easily damaged.

Why don’t make it easier on us and post a few photos of the damage, Cillikugel?

As Muddy said: if you had guests afterwards, you wil probably be out of luck. It is in their fine print somewhere.
Try get at least, compensation from your agent. If they value your business, they might go for it.