COVID 19 vaccinated vs unvaccinated guests - part 2

They don’t want to get specific about masks or vaccines, but lay it on thick about what the host is supposed to do for cleaning for Covid. Wonder if they’ll ever remove all of those requirements or are we stuck with them.

3 Likes

Hi Muddy,

I looked through the Enhanced Cleaning and didn’t see this mentioned. Do you know where in the info it’s found?

It’s probably me. The interface has changed a bit since I last visited.

Lynn

I just saw a news article yesterday that said 99.2% of covid deaths are unvaccinated people. Stupid is as stupid does.

RR

6 Likes

I’m not fully open but the idea of housing disease spreaders really irks me. I have no intention of extending “kindness and consideration” to nut job anti vaxxers or people who don’t care about me or can’t be bothered to get jabbed. I have made it clear in my listing what is important to me so hoping they choose another place.

When winter comes and delta variant or epsilon, zeta, etc are spreading, I’ll just close.

8 Likes

Me too. The thing is we really do not know. People lie. Like I tell my kids, the best thing we can do is protect ourselves.

RR

2 Likes

In a shared listing, that means closing to all but people I know and trust.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m playing this by ear. The only issue is that the only insurance that I can purchase is Proper. All else is not available in my state or when out of business. My normal home owners insurance is $1200 and Proper is $3000 so it’s a big commitment and I’m moving into my slower season. If the variant becomes an issue, I’m going to leave a week in-between bookings. It’s my slow season so I’m not as worried. I also raised my rates 3 x what is was before pandemic and increased cleaning.

Just like they say in stores, people that have been vaccinated don’t have to wear a mask. And, of course you can trust that all the non-maskers have been vaccinated, not.
I’m fortunate in that the rental is part of my house, but so far have mostly had no contact. I block a day or two between renters and because I’m new here I wasn’t that busy, but it’s heating up. If there are solo guests and they’re interested, we can converse on the porch.
Maybe I should post on my listing, “Nuts jobs need not apply.”

2 Likes

This is an infuriating vacuous response on the part of AirBnB. I have an issue regarding two international guests who have not been vaccinated from a country that has the vaccine and is rated Level 4 (bad!). The parent, who registered for his 30-yr old daughter and her partner, told me on 7/1 that the women would be vaccinated and on 7/2 said they wanted to get the vaccine when they got here, i.e. to my AirBnB. The story is more complicated but - bottom line — I do request test results (“request” vaccine or COVID test results) in my house rules and am extremely annoyed with AirBnB in supporting the guests. I want to cancel them if they are not vaccinated by two weeks prior to arrival. It’s one thing for guests who are traveling domestically from areas with low COVID rates and another entirely from a country where the pandemic is increasing. If I cancel Air BnB will of course penalize me for doing the safe and sane thing in the midst of a global pandemic that threatens my Superhost status. What a stupid game!
What is going on with this company? Is Brian Chesky sending down this irresponsible message for financial reasons? Very discouraging and sad. Is he selling his soul?
And btw, they need to write a separate policy for global pandemics. This is not an issue of discrimination!

The parent booked for his daughter and her partner? That’s a third party booking and against Airbnb’d TOS. Call Aiebnb and cancel it on that basis. Make sure it’s a neutral cancellation with no penalties to you.

Why did you accept a third party boooking anyway? A 30 year old can’t book for themself, why?

2 Likes

Apparently, AirBnB allows parents to book for their “children” and vice-versa, at least in that country. The whole thing started when a woman tried to book on her ex-boyfriend’s account (dated 2016 with no reviews) for her and her “sister.” I denied the booking. Then the father and mother (joint account?) wrote and said they wanted to book for their daughter and her friend (not sisters), the woman who initially tried to book. I made a huge error in accepting them without asking if they had first read all my house rules first. I immediately got in touch with AirBnB about it — no vaccines, third party, etc. (there are other details but, if you’re still following me, I’ll spare you).
Just let me say, at this point, I’ve spoken and/or communicated with at least three different people and they concluded that I can’t cancel because I “knew” there was a third party.
Did I mention that the parent in this country is also a superhost and in charge of the AirBnB FB page? With more than one property? Hmmm.
And their 30 year old daughter who has her own account? Oh, father says she can’t use her account. It’s one of the reasons I tried to cancel their reservation— don’t trust this situation at all. They all make me uncomfortable.
It’s not over. I tried to tell BNB that I wanted to give them time to make another reservation but, as I mentioned, they are being really nasty. They’ve gone corporate. Big lawyers. I’m just a little superhost. I do not deserve this treatment.

1 Like

BS. Air’s WRITTEN policy is they do not cover 3rd party bookings. Put your foot down and demand that they cancel it. Post DAILY on Air’s Twitter and FB pages. Do not allow some untrained jerkoff in the Philipines etc to boss you around. It is YOUR PROPERTY. Not theirs!
Tell the “so called Air agent” that under no circumstances will you permit a 3rd party booking to gain entry to YOUR PROPERTY - as it would be a violation of Air policies AND - your INSURANCE policy. They can not ask you to violate it or provide a copy.
It is irrelevant that “mommy is a superhost” or whatever. Nothing to do with the price of tea, as they say.
You are letting the tail wag the dog.

5 Likes

Thank you!! I needed that!!
They said I knew there would be a 3rd party!!
I don’t have a Twitter account but I’ll get one ASAP.

Nope…don’t accept this. It sounds to me when you accepted the booking you thought due to their country (area) of origin the third party booking was allowed. Now you realize it was a mistake or you were mislead by the guest.

Airbnb should enforce their TOS and cancel the booking.

If they won’t then cancel it yourself. Tell the booker you did not fully understand this booking and since the Airbnb TOS does not allow third party bookings you must cancel.

Airbnb will block those days, fine you $50 (maybe $100 USD) but since you don’t cancel often you should be able to continue to host.

If you happen to need to do some repairs to your HVAC (part not available for two weeks). or water supply lines or plumbing you may qualify as under the new vague extenuating circumstances policy.

Nothing is easy. I hate that you must go through this.

2 Likes

Never cancel a booking yourself if it’s against Airbnb rules. Take it up the ladder. Document in writing and then call.

1 Like

Thank you Anne for your support. Clearly, AirBnB is making this very difficult for me. What I really don’t understand is why the guests still want to stay at my place when they know my “rules.”
I really appreciate the response.

1 Like

Sounds like one of those hosts who thinks they’re hot s**t.

Maybe the daughter can’t book because she has bad reviews and no one would accept her? Entitled twit like her parent?

Stand your ground.

3 Likes

I thought I tried that. They made it confusing – initial response from three different people and only one followed through with a “final answer” – like a game show. I have already spent a lot of time and energy and talking and writing. Just ridiculous, I have never cancelled anyone in 4 1/2 years so they can’t penalize me according to their own rules.

1 Like

If you were going to discuss a topic like this on the AirBnB FB page, where would you place it?
Thanks.

AirBnB called to say I could cancel the reservation! Thank you all for your feedback.
Big rellef.

4 Likes