Counting Down, Thank you & The Dog's Revenge

I had 3 guests in a short period of time that made me think twice. A previous host suggested you raise your prices and that’s what I did before this summer, I made more money had fewer guests & when I had difficult guests it was easier to take. I also blocked off a few days every couple of weeks, THAT was the key. I’m not sure if I’ll be hosting through Airbnb because of the recent changes. I can’t have an unknown number of people showing up with an unknown number of children because I share my home.

I agree with you about the dogs. I post photos of our dogs in my listing. Good people like dogs and are generally much more open and friendly than people who don’t. Most of our guests are European, but we have had several from Australia and New Zealand, all lovely. We’ve been hosting now for three years and have never had a bad guest, knock on wood. I’ll probably regret saying that! Also agree about blocking out certain times when you don’t want anyone around, like Christmas week, and make sure you set a day in between bookings, so you don’t have to rush to get the room ready for the next guest.
Maybe it helps being in Hawaii. The magic of Aloha goes a long way!

I’m in Hawaii too and hosting for almost seven. Most guests are here to sightsee, but unfortunately I have had a few clunkers. I hope your day won’t come. :smiley:

@amywyo what do you mean by this?

I’m not sure if I’ll be hosting through Airbnb because of the recent changes. I can’t have an unknown number of people showing up with an unknown number of children because I share my home.

what changes would mean you have to take unknown numbers of people?

after getting hacked off at people marking me down on location when they bloody chose it so i changed some bits of my listing and included something like this:

"area is not ‘pretty’ or ‘picturesque’ so please don’t expect a view of the hanging gardens of babylon or herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains’ unlikely to have an impact if they don’t get the reference but it made me feel a bit better

4 Likes

Ah, another Fawlty Towers fan. Good job, mate.

And remember, Don’t Mention the War!

2 Likes

Have you not read the feed about how airbnb has changed the how guests don’t have to declare children under a certain age? Look for it.

Yay! Good old Basil. A host role model :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I keep thinking that our day will come, but we’ve been very lucky. We mostly get young couples from Germany and Switzerland, go figure! Hawaii is their “dream vacation” of a lifetime and they are usually happy and full of Aloha. I did get a semi-dud from Flipkey once. We allow smoking outside only, and this babe smoked like a chimney from morning till bedtime. It became very unpleasant, even though we don’t share the space. Then she left a bag of cigarette butts in a planter by the garage! She was nice, though, and didn’t smoke in the room.

I certainly get as frustrated as Basil at times i’m sure :rage::smiling_imp:

gosh, didn’t know that about the children under 2. that’s bloody ridiculous, this is MY home, I will decide who comes to stay in it!!!

1 Like

I’ve had lovely guests from Australia and New Zealand. Just sayin’…

like most airbnb hosts that only last a year after they discover - its not about the money dear - its about the sharing of your home and also being aware of the kinds of people you want to share with - i agree the middleclass’ i can afford a hotel but airbnb is cheaper’ brigade who invade us are horrid - there is the problem - good bye and good luck but you sew what you reap - and after hosting for 5 years being one of the first 2000 in the uk and never got at superhost - what is the point - although they gave it to me I never asked for it and i still love it; sharing my home with the world is my pleasure - but not yours so sorry you had a terrible time - but maybe you took the wrong approach and never understood its principles and key drivers …

I’m reflecting that maybe it’s hosting one’s countrymen in their home country! They dispense with the usual politeness that comes with being in someone else’s territory. Just a thought…

1 Like

Not saying we’re all bad, it’s just been my experience. Australia and NZ aren’t the same country and I find the kiwis to generally be very good.

1 Like

I currently have Kiwis as long term tenants one of our other properties, and I <3 them!

That’s a pretty judgemental statement Antonia_Clare_Grant to say I took the wrong approach and never understood it’s principles and key drivers. You’ve read a lot more into my post than is there. This forum is for sharing and being given advice and somewhere to vent - you’ve joined this forum late in your career of Airbnb hosting, but it’s generally not considered a forum where we host-shame - it’s a forum to support, give feedback and laugh with others (not at others) at their tales of guest mishaps.

1 Like

I still haven’t left a review - and they haven’t left me one (I’m going to take your advice of leaving it to the last minute). In the meantime I’ve had my third last and second last guests - the last ones were again Australian and the ones before them Indian/English (to clarify, he was Indian, she was English). I just thought I’d share my last two reviews so that you can see what I mean. English couple gave me 5 stars across the board. The Australian gave me 4 stars in every area except cleanliness. Same room, same amenities, same location, arriving just one day after the Indian/English couple. The first line is the Australian couple’s review followed by their private feedback. Then one underneath is the English couple’s review.

3 Likes

Hey Wilburforce. Just stumbled on this thread. I trust participating in this forum brought you joy and reminded you are not alone in the struggle of dealing and putting up with people.

1 Like

Thanks Mearns. Yeah I’m just a little bit burnt out. I’ve loved the forum - everything from Sandy showing me the ropes to Billy Bob’s humour (and his good advice on dealing with wet hairs in the bathroom) - as well as lots of hilarious exchanges with you, Kona and DC Mooney. It’s been great and I guess I’ll dip in from time to time.

3 Likes

Wilbur I’ve had the same issue with my Aussie guests, and the same stingy ratings. Mine did something very similar to yours; public review was … small room good for budget travellers. 4 stars across the board. Reviews either side were glowing and all 5 stars.

I’m with you on your concerns and experiences and wish I knew the answer !

OMG… Sandy and Billy Bob!!! Well I have news for you Sandy is gone… but Billy Bob is back, posting under a new name. :smile:

I remember when you first posted about a kooky guest and blankets and thermostats? Something like that?
Keep checking back here. Take a break and take care of yourself. Don’t let kooky guests get you down.

1 Like