Counting Down, Thank you & The Dog's Revenge

It’s so true isn’t it? I think people on the forum are trying to find a reason why I have the odd difficult guest - my listing is too long, I don’t screen, whatever. The reality is, I’m in Australia so more exposed to these types of Australian guests:slight_smile:

2 Likes

How do you chat to prospective guest beforehand? Airbnb blocks all forms of numbers and email addresses sent in correspondence?

By chat, I mean use the Airbnb message system. It is possible, and not even that hard, to circumvent the Airbnb messaging system, but I’m not necessarily suggesting that. If you did it systematically, even Airbnb would probably notice.

Leave IB but block off days for yourself or use the auto setting of blocking a day before and after each reservation. That will also cause you to miss out on some reservations that would start back to back.

As for getting the kind of guests you want, I think I’ve also gotten the kind I want. Not certain how but I can speculate. Having a small room with a small bed. It’s super clean but not luxurious. I have dogs. Good people like dogs and aren’t obsessive about cleanliness or allergies. (Yes there are good people that don’t like dogs too)

Shorten your description and say plainly what you want. Yes you might drive away some business but if the alternative is quitting altogether, you’ve nothing to lose.

If you are fully booked it might be your price is too low, raise it and perhaps it will cut some of the losers…

2 Likes

@Wilburforce, I was just sitting here thinking about how unfortunate I’ve been to have two rude Aussie couples stay in one week … I figured it might be because I’m a New Zealander (AIring in Auckland) but maybe not!

You’re right, I should have blocked days before and after to give myself a break. These last couple of month’s bookings were all made in June, July - before I was feeling the burnout.

My listing is short - and very to the point. I sincerely believe the problem is not with my listing. I have kept my SH status not through luck or accidents, but because I work incredibly hard, am extremely polite and helpful with guests, I treat everyone as though there is nothing I would rather do than host - That’s why it stings when you get rude, ungrateful guests.

Oh, I HATE that … I will forgive guests almost anything (late arrivals, messy rooms, lost keys) as long as they damn well mind their manners!

And I am English and can absolutely hear the tone of voice in which “oh the room’s upstairs” would be said. In this case I just channel my inner Basil Fawlty, smile sweetly and when they are out of earshot mutter “Yes, you old bat, that’s why it’s called the first floor…” (or second of course, depending on where you live …!)

Have a good rest, enjoy your lovely empty space and, who knows - you might decide to have another go some day …

4 Likes

Yes, please leave the review, @Wilburforce! I don’t want them to darken my door!!

Revenge is not for dogs only!!!

Sorry you are leaving but hope to see you back after a rest.

4 Likes

Yes, taking breaks is key, especially if they are in your home and you are doing the laundry. I ended up 90% booked in October and it was to, to much. I did it in part because we were closing down for 2 weeks in November for construction so I wanted to bank the income.

1 Like

That’s exactly what it is. I can forgive everything except a lack of manners and you hit the nail on the head with the ton of voice. Thanks for the comment.

OK, but I’m going to wait until day 14. And the only thing I can think to say is “I may have caught Maxine on a bad day, but nothing seemed to pleased here and I’m not sure she enjoyed her stay.” I’ll leave it to savvy hosts such as yourself to read between the lines.

No doubt I’ll be back one day.

2 Likes

Hi @Malagachica,

Have you been away? We missed you. And I hadn’t completely registered that you were English, but it isn’t terribly surprising, either. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK. That’s so weird then. I thought it was maybe a co-incidence - but it’s also mentioned by a host above. I’ve always liked to think that as a nation we were friendly, laid-back and not pushy or self-righteous. But I’m obviously wrong. So, first of all, let me apologise on behalf of my fellow Australians that you just had two rude guests. Not acceptable. And secondly, I also write for a living and I can definitely feel a ‘Why Australians Make the Worst AirBnb Guests’ article coming on…

2 Likes

I’ve had many Australians - all good - one of them was just awarded an Australian of the Year award, just by the way.

Edited to add - OK, one Australian was obnoxious and a bore, but he’s been living in Japan for a long time, and I think he considers himself Japanese, so…

Which just goes to show that we can’t judge guests by their nationality :wink:

1 Like

I love that review! I’m going to use that if I ever get a rude guest

1 Like

We’re in Perth, and so far we’ve had really lovely Australian guests!

Our first AirBNB guest was an elevator tech from Victoria. He was 20 years old and stoked by our apartment. The only negative is his company didn’t leave a review. :frowning: but he was a lovely chap. The next couple was from Queensland and they were in town as their daughter (who lives here) was due to have her first baby. <3 Our latest one was from NSW. They were good, too!

Our worst so far has been a Canadian couple. Eek! They left us a great review but gave poor star ratings. Despite stating this was a mistake via AirBNB messaging, they haven’t responded to AirBNB’s queries to fix it.

Oh well!

My Aussies have been great but my Canadians have almost all been disappointing guests despite most all demonstrating friendliness.

1 Like

As in, left a poor review and/or star ratings?