Construction Noise Next Door - Guest Asking for Discount and General Advice Request

I host in Washington, DC, in a townhouse that has houses adjoining on both sides. One of my neighbors moved out shortly before I purchased the property three months ago. And over the weekend I found out why: the house is being gutted and remodeled. The work is expected to last through the end of April. And this major job started just three weeks after I listed my Airbnb.

Sigh.

I have already notified all guests who have booked to let them know (1) about the construction work; (2) that contractors can work any time between 7 am and 7 pm Monday through Saturday (although most work between 8 am and 4 pm); and (3) reassure them that Airbnb will let them cancel without penalty if they chose to, given the circumstances. So far, no one has requested to cancel.

One guest, however, wrote to request a discount. I decided against offering discounts because I don’t know for a given guest on a given day (when construction noise might be unbearable or there might be no construction noise) what would constitute a discount that truly makes up for any noise disturbance. I think it is better that guests who are concerned about the noise find another place to stay. (And there is a lot of availability in DC, so guests should be able to book another suitable Airbnb.) I explained this to the guest who wrote back in all caps “I TOLD YOU I WANTED TO KEEP MY RESERVATION.” Of course I am concerned now this person will be a nightmare guest who will leave a bad review. Airbnb has offered to let me cancel the reservation without penalty. But I am torn. Should I cancel the reservation? Or let the guest stay?

Moreover, I am torn about how to proceed with my Airbnb listing. The developer is telling me the job will take about three months. My listing now prominently features a warning about the construction work; not surprinsingly I have not received a single inquiry or listing since I put this information up. I don’t feel bad about keeping the listing up because most of my guests are coming to DC to sightsee, and they will be out and about during construction hours. Also, the city is noisy in general. But I am wondering if I am better off avoiding the potential hassle of aggravated guests, delisting completely, and just putting my place back on the rental market?

Yes

RR

3 Likes

Lower your price 10%
And then advertise construction special 10% off nightly rate while neighbors remodel. It’s really a win win You will get booked solid and you have dealt with the guests expectations. Still do not discount for Ms. ALL CAPS because she sounds like a nightmare.

RR

4 Likes

Your contractors are working serious hours. Personally I would defer booking till they are done. Offer 10 percent on current booking with the option to cancel free at no charge for unused days. You really don’t need a meh review this early in the game.

1 Like

Done. I was not sure if I was being overly paranoid by canceling this reservation. But better safe than sorry. And, the guest will be able to find another reservation without a problem. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’m surprised city code allows construction in that time period. In my city it is 9-5. Have you checked with the city on hours?

1 Like

DC law allows construction between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Normally contractors start around 8 a.m. and wrap up by 4 p.m.

1 Like

I was thinking about just unlisting until the work is done. Except that I live in a city surrounded by houses and apartment complexes. If I was going to unlist every time there is construction work nearby or audible, I would rarely be able to list. (And often times I would not even know when the construction was starting/ending.)

RiverRockRetreat,

Thanks for this advice.

I am concerned that if I offer a discount I open myself up to gouging. If they know I am offering 10 percent, some guests might feel they can shake me down for 25, 30, 50 percent etc… and then leave a nasty review when I balk at a bigger discount. Any thoughts on that?

Good point. If that’s the way it is, then I would include that in both description and rules. Along with earplugs.

Hey it’s a city!

1 Like

I think you should offer a discount - those are incredibly long hours. just decide on a number you are happy with and stick to it.

You’re right! You’re in a city so there’s always a chance of noise. I don’t think you should stop hosting.

I’d advertise a discount (10%) along with the warning about construction noise. Guests will be more likely to find it a fair trade-off. A few people might try on asking for a further discount; don’t sweat it - just say “We find this a fair discount for the possibility of noise and aren’t able to discount further”.

Construction in my area generally runs 8-4 also. Your place won’t suit everyone, but anyone who is there on business or otherwise out during work hours will hardly notice an inconvenience. It’ll be quiet during sleep hours.

Cancel the all-caps lady. That message is so disrespectful! I can’t believe she’d send that and then expect to stay a night under your roof. She certainly wouldn’t be welcome under mine.

2 Likes

Also, @fender10, you likely know this, but there is a “potential for noise” disclaimer to tick in the House Rules section, “Details guests must know about your home”.

1 Like

What about if you just made a note in your listing that it is a discounted rate because of the potential for an unusual amount of noise? You don’t have to say how much the discount is. Just call it a temporary rate and that’s that. Just a thought.

1 Like

Hello! Thanks to everyone for the really helpful suggestions/advice.

I cancelled the all caps lady. And, it was the right thing to do because she wrote me back two angry messages in all caps. Airbnb customer service told me they would address it, and she has not written back. I originally felt bad about cancelling her. But, thanks to all of you for helping me see that was the right way to go.

And, as for the discount, I was hesitant to do it. But I sent a message telling everyone who has booked that they will get a 10 percent discount. And the response has been incredibly positive. I also indicated in the listing that guests will get a 10 percent discount upon checking in. I will report back if bookings start picking up again so that others facing this same conundrum in the future will know whether this strategy worked, at least in a market like DC.

And @lawre thanks for the info about the disclaimer in House Rules. I have changed mine to reflect the construction next door.

4 Likes

call customer service. this guest will give you crappy review. it is better if customer service lets you cancel with no penalty or they cancel it for you. i think they can do this when there are extenuating circumstances

1 Like

@adrienne12

Sorry for the confusion. I stated that I cancelled all caps lady. But Airbnb customer reps cancelled on my behalf without any penalty. :slight_smile: And I am glad I got the involved, cause she went a little crazy with the all caps after that. I shudder to think what kind of guest she would have been.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum. You were very wise to seek help at the first sign of trouble.

2 Likes

I imagine people who write in all caps as unsocialized savages, walking around screaming at top volume at all times. I’M A CALM, REASONABLE, PERSON!
You dodged a bullet!

I hope the construction goes quickly and your guests are happy with the discount.

Happy hosting!

4 Likes

Hi everyone! I promised a week or so ago to report on what happened with the guests I already had booked and what the result was of offering a 10-percent discount. I figured it would be useful for anyone facing this situation if I closed the loop.

So far I have only had one set of guests cancel. Most guests have been incredibly understanding. And they have all been overjoyed with the 10 percent discount. (I also made sure to reassure guests that if any of them experience any noise problems and wanted to secure an alternate lodging, I would reimburse them for any unused nights.) I think it also helps that no one comes to Washington, DC, to sit in the hotel room. So most guests are out of the Airbnb when the workers are here.

And, much to my surprise, bookings have continued to roll in. People have not been dissuaded by the construction next door. The 10 percent discount, I am sure, is helping. Again, it turns out that city visitors don’t particularly care about noise during daytime hours since they are coming to do touristy things rather than relax in their rooms.

So, for those of you facing this situation, take heart. Not all is lost!

4 Likes