Construction Noise Next Door - Guest Asking for Discount and General Advice Request

If I was a guest and price is good I wouldn’t care about construction. It’s only during the day . I stayed in many places with construction around but they didn’t bother me a bit . I wake up early anyway .
I don’t think k you should delist or offer discount. There are guests out there like me

3 Likes

I’m glad you figured out your plan. Guests who are made aware of noise & other potential issues are able to make informed decisions and I think that makes all the difference. I like the idea of offering earplugs in case you have a late sleeper or a person who naps.

3 Likes

My partner is a contractor. Even on his own projects with the super deadline the big ones don’t exceed 50 hrs a week. They get blown out. You might want to confirm those kind of hours on a Saturday.

On a more positive note, this situation has its positives. Firstly you are honest. Secondly several people including current guest are hard of hearing. They tend to speak loudly. beIng in a place that has no problem with this is cool for them! Also guests who are a bit rackety won’t mind. Better to live loud than in a morgue!

1 Like

I also have struggled with building noises from neighbours and have found that guests have been quite irate a few times, even though I wasn’t aware that it was going on. One time the neighbour was installing metal gates and the guest messaged me that the sound of metal on metal was so horrendous they had to leave. I spoke to the neighbour who agreed the noise was horrendous but she said it was only five minutes. And another time the neighbour cut a piece of steel into five pieces and the guest bitterly complained.

In the guest’s defense I do understand that they book my places for a bit of romantic fun. However, I don’t see how I can be responsible for what the neighbours do during working hours. If you want to stay somewhere that is 100% private then don’t expect it to be in walking distance of the beach, restaurants and shops!

I stayed in a place last year where a multi story building was being built directly opposite and it was a very narrow street. I was a little annoyed that we weren’t told but I didn’t say anything to the host or mention it in the review. It wasn’t so much the noise that annoyed me (as we are out all day) but the lack of privacy. We had to keep the curtains drawn all the time as the workmen could see straight in. It was in Bucharest and the hours they worked were very, very long. We were woken up about 6am with machinery noise and they were still going when we got back after dinner. I’m not sure whether council construction hours exist there.

I believe that the onus is on the host to be aware of construction noise and alert all future bookings with no cancelation hassles. I believe that the guest has a case otherwise.