Complimentary Breakfast options

lchiu7

How lucky you are to have groceries so close by! I’m sure your guests love having something right there just for them. When I travel I carry my own, so that I am not caught short and hungry, wherever and whenever.
For my guests, I buy granola in a several servings package - usually 2 people will make a significant dent in it for one breakfast. Our clientele is happiest with dairy free, gluten free/wheat free options, whole bean coffees, whole leaf teas, stevia, and if sugar is at all acceptable, it needs to be as unprocessed as possible, like everything else on the menu. Our state has done away with single serve bottles of shampoo and such, so single serve food things are rather frowned upon as well.

You are so good to your guests, and I know you are contributing positively to the reputation of the entire platform by doing so. I like to think we are all in this together!

1 Like

I know. I get really lovely guests and am often blown away by the things I read on host forums. But being aware that things could happen isn’t the same thing as being worried. I was worried about hosting other hosts, as I’ve read that other hosts can be super critical and leave bad reviews. But I’ve now hosted 4 guests who are also hosts and they were sweet and fine guests, who left 5* reviews, so now I realize that somone else’s experience may not be mine. I do appreciate being aware of possible scenarios, but I no longer worry about them, I just deal with things as they come my way.

1 Like

well I [quote=“Kitty_Norris, post:61, topic:38069, full:true”]

lchiu7

How lucky you are to have groceries so close by! I’m sure your guests love having something right there just for them. When I travel I carry my own, so that I am not caught short and hungry, wherever and whenever.
For my guests, I buy granola in a several servings package - usually 2 people will make a significant dent in it for one breakfast. Our clientele is happiest with dairy free, gluten free/wheat free options, whole bean coffees, whole leaf teas, stevia, and if sugar is at all acceptable, it needs to be as unprocessed as possible, like everything else on the menu. Our state has done away with single serve bottles of shampoo and such, so single serve food things are rather frowned upon as well.

You are so good to your guests, and I know you are contributing positively to the reputation of the entire platform by doing so. I like to think we are all in this together!
[/quote]

Well I do my best to make the experience as pleasant as possible. I have a guest arriving on Christmas Day with his family staying for 2 days and so I have decided to provide a few extra Christmas goodies for them since they are away from home (and country) for the holidays.

Since this is a similar query to the thread I started I thought I would ask this question about coffee. Currently I provide sealed sachets of coffee grounds (each good enough for two cups in a coffee plunger). I have now run out and thinking about replacements.

100 sachets of coffe grounds (each weighing 15gm) cost US$60. Each sachet is good for two cups and I usually provide 4 per visit no matter how many guests,

I could switch to instant coffee sachets - (sealed again) US$50 for 500 single serve sachets

Or switch to coffee in bulk US$22/kg (currencies converted to USD but I am not based in the US in case people say they could go to Costco and get coffee cheaper!) and leave a jar in the apartment.

I am leaning now towards to this option since while I am hesitant to provide jams etc. in larger containers, coffee should seem much safer to a guest since they can see the coffee grounds and then just spoon as many they need into the plunger. I might stick the coffee brand on the jar so they know what I (allegedly :slight_smile: ) bought

Some of it depends on where you are and where your guests are from. As an idea of the range: In CA, US at a home in the woods apparently guests expect organic whole beans they can grind. I have friends in New Zealand who only had instant coffee last time I was there and they said that’s what everyone drinks. In Krakow Poland 10 years ago my rental had only a kettle so I bought instant at the store. In most places in the US brewed coffee is the expectation but I offered a kettle and instant coffee for over 4 years. I had no complaints and only one person asked about a coffee maker before he booked and then didn’t book when I said I didn’t have one. I have a very modest rental with many one night guests. If I had a nicer place I would probably not offer instant.

lchiu7

Our Christmas guests are arriving today, so we’ve dusted, cleaned, and put in house plants and two bowls of fresh fruit in fun colors - Mandarin Oranges, 4 different kinds of apples, bananas, Asian Pears and Fuyu Persimmons. I also printed out a list of all the major restaurants and their holiday hours.

Happy Christmas!

Kitty

1 Like

That’s very nice. I had guests depart on Christmas Day morning and then others checking on Christmas Day. So part of my Christmas Day has been preparing the apartment :frowning: In recognition of the day I put in a bottle of sparkling wine juice (don’t know if they drink wine and anyway I am sure their children don’t), a box of chocolates and a bag of cookies.

Merry Christmas!

1 Like

lchiu7

That is total fun! I’m sure everyone will love what you left for them!

We don’t leave anything alcoholic for our guests. If they want any wine or beer, they bring their own. There are so many choices of what they might like, (and we don’t use alcohol) that we just don’t get involved in choosing for them.

1 Like

@lchiu7, I provide a small supply of good coffee bean, grinder and a variety of teas (bagged).

A stove top style kettle for tea and a drip style coffee maker, a french press AND a pod style coffee maker with several reusable pods.

I do the same with the addition of a proper electric kettle and a proper teapot. :slight_smile:

Some guests will leave their coffee beans or ground coffee when they check out. So I leave them in the fridge and point out to the incoming guests that they were left by the people who just vacated and they can use them in the cafetiere if they wish.

• I think that French press is what Americans call a cafetiere?

To each his/her own. I prefer the simplicity of a kettle that uses the stove to boil water. My guests have been happy to have the options for coffee.

A ceramic teapot is available for… tea. And it’s all proper. LOL

I have no clue!

My goodness, neither do I!

As an English person who has lived in the USA for 25 years, I don’t understand English people and I don’t understand Americans!

Originally American, then Canadian, I’ve always called it, and heard it referred to as a French Press or a Bodum (even though they aren’t all Bodum brand). Never heard anyone call it a cafetiere. Sounds like that might be what the French or French Canadians call it?

1 Like

Cafetiere is a brand of the press. In my neck of the woods we call them plungers. That’s what I provide in my apartment and I provide coffee grounds in 2 cup sachets. though I’m now thinking of providing ground in a jar and just labelling the jar with the brands and grounds that I provided. It’s a lot more economical and friendlier to the environment. Plus I cannot see anyone having issues with using coffee grounds in a jar and if they do then there are two supermarkets within 5 minutes walk where they can go buy their own coffee.

1 Like

I provide a teapot and electric kettle but the tea in single serve tea bags. I provide English breakfast and Earl Grey. And I’ve noticed most times guests jm dont use the teapot but just put the tea bag in their cups. Over to them. Whatever they want to do.

3 Likes

Coffee and tea is really location dependent.

Our rentals are in a retirement community. We supply pod coffee makers, with coffee pods, drip coffee makers with filters, a kettle for the stove and tea bags.

Some folks ask if we have drip coffee makers before booking. And there is a grocery store a within a mile of both rentals, with a golf cart to get there.

Personally, at my house I have a fancy $1K espresso machine that grinds the beans before foaming the milk and brewing my latte. When traveling I look at the location before booking to make sure there is fresh coffee, preferably espresso, within walking distance. I don’t expect fancy espresso machines at an Airbnb.

In the interests of education for all ( :wink: ) I decided to see what Wikipedia has to say.

The cafetiere was patented in Italy in the 1920s, it says, where it is called a caffettiera

In the UK and France, it is called a cafetiere. In New Zealand, Australia and South Africa it’s called a coffee plunger and in the USA and Canada it’s called a French press.

I thought it was amusing at first that people in the USA and Canada refer to it as French when it was actually invented in Italy but Wikipedia goes on to say that coffee pressers had previously been used, but not patented, in France. So the USA and Canada have got it right-ish.

So now we know. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Does Wikipedia offer any light on the duvet/ comforter/ quilt / doona / bedspread conundrum?

2 Likes

I looked. :slight_smile: Evidently doona is an Australian brand - a manufacturer of duvets.

They have been used in Norway since Viking times, in Europe since the sixteenth century (for rich people it says) and spread to the rest of the world in the late twentieth century.

The best bit though, is this:

Duvets can reduce the complexity of making a bed, as they can be used without a top sheet, blankets or quilts or other bed covers. Duvets can be made warmer than blankets without becoming heavy. The duvet itself fits into a specially made cover, usually of cotton or a cotton-polyester blend. The duvet cover can be removed and laundered as often as the bottom sheet and pillow cases.

:blush:

3 Likes

I use bottom sheets, top sheets and a duvet cover. The reason is I don’t have to launder the duvet cover so often. Laundering the cover is no big deal, it’s pushing the duvet back into the cover that is the hassle :frowning: Trying to get the duvet into all the corners and evenly distributed I find a real pain.