Complimentary Breakfast options

Absolutely. No chance of someone getting a spoonful, licking the spoon, then sticking it back in. Or spreading jam on their toast with a knife, then sticking the same knife back in so you have a jar full of bread crumbs.

3 Likes

I also drink the unfinished bottles of wine. No shame here!!

4 Likes

Yes, I would use them. I wouldn’t use the tiny jars though of that jam I saw you ordering.
Yes, the those jars are cute. But get some generic small ones where you don’t have to peel the tag off. Like something with a snap clip lid. Fill it and store in fridge. If they don’t like it, they can ignore it.

All of that stuff filled by you is fine. People can dismiss it or appreciate it.

Sounds like your OH is better trained than my OH :wink:

I have my own jam even at home. I hide it in the back of the fridge and write warnings on it in sharpie. Lol.

2 Likes

That’s probably best anyways. The expensive stuff is as thick as a paper towel and guests might clog the toilet with it. The cheaper stuff is more plumbing-friendly :grin:

1 Like

I got the impression that the guest stuff was the good stuff and gone use was cheaper. I could have been wrong though.

Yes, but what about the ones who squeeze some on their finger, lick it off, then put that finger back on the squeeze bottle nozzle for another lick?

2 Likes

All I can say to that is, how would you know> :slight_smile:
I guess there is a difference between having guests stay in your home and having an entire apartment avialable to them. For the former you can possibly let them use your jams, for the latter I think I am going to jars I fill and label for each guest. If they don’t use them I rip the label off and apply another one for the next guest.

That’s what it comes down to. Much of this “cleanliness” and “germs” stuff is just a mind game. You just have to figure out what meets the needs of the host and the greatest number of guests.

2 Likes

I don’t know. I actually hate squeeze bottles myself and don’t use them. But after reading hosts’ stories for a couple of years about the crazy things that guests do, I’m getting good at imagining all kinds of bizarre scenarios :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I personally would not use anything that wasn’t sealed at the factory, and expect that my guests have the same expectations.
I am 12 miles from the nearest store, so I provide yogurt, milk, non dairy milk, granola, juice, and fresh fruit, coffees and teas. If the fruit I am providing comes from my trees I so indicate, otherwise, they all have grocery store stickers on them.

Guests using my house kitchen (I live here full time) are free to use everything - pots, condiments, etc, and they feel good about that. What is in their space is factory sealed and new. I stopped with the breads and pastries as half the time no one ate them, and I don’t like those things myself so leftovers were tossed. The tiny jams in jars I tried for a few years. They are expensive and they have expiration dates on them, even the honey - which is good forever. They are too sweet for me, and are not “organic” which is extremely important here in California.

That’s interesting? Why is that?

It just is, and it is a huge thing in the local economy. People want certified organic food and natural fiber clothing, preferably organically produced. Our local Safeway is heavy on organics and very light on everything else, including the canned and packaged goods shelves. I’ve noticed from the recycling and trash my guests leave that they are buying certified label items.

1 Like

Oh sorry. I thought it was something specific to the area. It’s the same here and I thought it was like that everywhere.

I must get out more… :wink:

1 Like

I’m in Northern California and grew up reading labels and fine print in the '50s when it was a new thing to do, along with the introduction of unit pricing. It is now an obsession, I’ve noted. Where are you located?

One thing I have noticed about this forum. I go along blissfully unaware of nightmare scenarios for hosting and then I come here and encounter descriptions of scenarios that I would neve had imagined and now I am worried :frowning:

2 Likes

My apartment is in the city central with two supermarkets about 5 minutes walk away. I still provide bread and butter (I provide two choices, while or mixed grain), milk (usually low-fat since somebody who can only drink low-fat is catered for but they cannot drink the full cream, while somebody who prefers full cream can still use it), jams in single serve containers (that is going to change) and single server cereals (in boxes or sachets). That means on the first morning, they don’t need to go out to have a light breakfast. Works well so far and no complaints and usually compliments.

In South Florida but I’m from England.

Ah, a nice place to live!

1 Like