Complimentary Breakfast options

Yes, me too! I’m not too proud to scrape off the top of something and eat it. Lots of left over ice cream has been consumed this way. I provide sealed individual snacks, a couple of bananas and apples. Only thing for breakfast are two of those sealed oatmeal cups that they add the liquid to and then microwave it. I don’t want oatmeal stuck in a bowl. I do buy those 1/4 sticks of butter and put one in there. When a guest uses one we just take the rest home and use it ourselves. But if I were a guest somewhere else I don’t think I’d use it, not knowing how old it was, etc. I do leave squeeze bottles of ketchup and mustard which surprisingly get used a lot. I can’t figure out on what because most of my guests never cook.

2 Likes

I haven’t found them to be that much more expensive. Only about 1 in every 5 or 6 guests uses it so it’s not a big deal for me.

1 Like

If you’re refilling small containers, you can make guests feel more comfortable by putting an adhesive label/sticker that spans the edge of the lid to the jar with the guest’s name and the date written on it, so they know it’s fresh and was put there just for them. I like the clear round labels, since they’re often used by manufacturers to seal things. I do this with a few things and they get used.

3 Likes

We do exactly the same with the partial rolls of TP.

3 Likes

I don’t see how anyone who is not allergic to pasteurized milk could be allergic to raw milk. Both contain the same proteins, which is what triggers the allergic reaction.

You’d think people would have better things to do with their time while on holiday than to itemize every product in the kitchen and search for the best before date. It would have been more useful if she’d offered to wash your windows or something if she was that bored.

1 Like

Now that is a good idea. I think I will do that.

I think the only food I have taken after guests have left are

1. eggs in a carton - they should be fine :slight_smile:
  2. Bread that I provided that clearly was never even opened (and I usually ask my guests if they want white or multi-grain bread for toast)
  3. Beer :slight_smile: I have had quite a few cans and bottles of beer left in the fridge. Clearly they could not drink it all in time. So that’s good for me

I was thinking more of the bacteria that pasteurising milk kills. But that is a contentious issue and way OT for this thread.

I don’t live in the apartment so I can’t readily reuse the partial rolls. I make a judgement call - if there is sufficient to use, I left them (but do make a point of folding the ends into a triangle) and anyway, I always have plenty of spare in the bathrooms. Otherwise I ditch them.

I also would not use an open jar of jam because of the germ factor, but I hate all the plastic waste from the single-serves. I tried the little mini glass jars of jam but they are expensive.

I found squeeze bottles of jam at the grocery store and they are perfect! Now everybody is happy. I save money, guests get clean jam, and no more plastic waste.

3 Likes

That’s a really good idea. I think I’ll try that. We only provide a ‘starter breakfast’ (for the first morning) but the squeeze bottles sound like an excellent plan.

Would you use an open squeeze bottle at an Airbnb?

Yeah, we use the squeeze bottles too whenever possible. Also for mayo, ketchup, mustard and maple syrup. They definitely seem to stay tidier as well (don’t get sticky on the outside)!

If you are there to ditch them why not just take them home with you to use there if you dont want to leave them for the guests? This seems like such a waste.

1 Like

Why is that?

I use the leftover anything.

2 Likes

I’m probably going to get flamed over this but the TOP I buy for the apartment isn’t the quality my wife buys for home use :confused:

Always looking for the least expensive option here!

1 Like

All of the consumables I provide in my listing are the same as we use in our house… except the toilet paper. I found guests were using about 4x the toilet paper that we do, so I told my wife to buy something cheaper at Costco. Unfortunately, she bought the cheapest TP they had. It’s the stuff a lot of businesses use. I don’t like it, but I decided to go ahead and see what happens. I have spare rolls of nicer TP in the cabinets under the sink (with spare rolls of the cheaper TP in front), and sometimes guests replace the cheap rolls with the nicer rolls. However, what I’ve found is that guests use a lot less of this cheaper TP. I still provide facial tissues and paper towels, and their usage hasn’t changed, but the TP usage has decreased substantially.

I read an article that said 15% of people take TP rolls from hotel rooms, so I’m assuming that’s what was happening with mine, and people don’t bother with the cheap rolls. I’m going to use up the cheap TP I have and and replace it with higher quality TP, but I thought this was interesting data.

2 Likes

We refill coffee, sugar, salt and pepper, and an olive oil bottle which we explain is oil from our grove. Any opened food items that guests leave behind are discarded. The unopened items we leave in the pantry and they get used. As for jams or any other food items I personally would not use them if I were a guest. Therefore I would not offer them as a Host.

1 Like