Committed to Cleaning

So did I

1 Like

I got the email and passed the test even though I did not get 100% correct. Bella was attacked by a Cane Corso and is in rough shape.

Oh no! Sorry to hear about Bella! Best wishes for a good recovery.

@RebeccaF Rebecca, my cleaning lady actually places a toilet sash! I never had a guest comment on the toilet sash…

2 Likes

I’m jealous! Have to speak to our cleaning lady about that!

1 Like

So are we meant to be doing this cleaning quiz to improve our listing/rating? This is the first I’ve heard about it. I wonder if they only sent it out to certain countries or States that had high case numbers? I just checked my Airbnb email again, nothing about it there…

I think it may only be available for US hosts right now. I don’t think it has anything to do with high case numbers. It has to do with the fact that it’s a US-based company and they are following CDC recommendations.
It also isn’t available to home-share hosts, as far as I’m aware.

Any word when AirBnB will introduce that Enhanced Cleaning Stamp on those listings where hosts passed the test (we did today!)?

1 Like

“[soon]”

:slight_smile: That’s a good one.

1 Like

I guess you aren’t able to read all the posts. What it says if you click on it is “in a few weeks.”

Airbnb sent me the link. I was involved in an industry that did satisfaction surveys frequently and learned that seeding the words that you wanted to see in your reviews/ratings actually helped. Consequently I have a single sheet framed stating our commitment to our guests with a few lines about Cleanliness, Communication, Accuracy, Value and Safety. I will use their “silly signs” when I re-open or shrink them and include them in our room manual. That said, we have an old, comfortable home with eclectic decor where a sign might not look as out of place as it might in a sleek, modern accommodation. I might even ask some of my repeat guests how they feel about the signage and whether the badge means anything to them.

My “stamp” is showing on my listings as of today. I took the test 2 weeks ago and was told it would be “a few weeks”.

It might have been there longer because I haven’t looked in a few days, but it definitely wasn’t there at the beginning of the week.

Mine as well. It’s just in the list of “features” of my listing. There’s no visible designation in the search results.

Mine shows up once you click on my listing, I am going to click through a few others I bet everyone has it. Will see

Ok, just looked at first page of results in my area. 4 out of 20, so 20% have the designation. I imagine as the hosts without it see they are missing it more will come up.

It seems the only people who wouldn’t would be folks who never read their emails, adjust their listing and so on. Every active host should have it.

I clicked through a bunch of listings too. I only went through the first 2 pages. There were only 2 hosts with it. One place that didn’t have it, I know that host. I asked her if she had done the test yet. She resonded, “I’m not going to worry about it. Too busy.” So, that’s interesting. She is a super-duper host and dependent on the income. It makes me wonder if others will also just blow it off.

After seeing it, it doesn’t seem very useful. If you could search for that option in the preferences, or if it showed on the listings as you scrolled through, it could be useful then. But, I maintain that it is just a bunch of fluff :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m surprised. But on the other hand I’m glad to see that so many hosts are swamped with business. I ain’t gonna lie. It’s painful to be staying home, not socializing, not traveling and also with a tight budget. I keep telling myself I won’t regret helping my friend. It looks like Americans are going to carry on regardless of case load so I should have plenty of business when I reopen.

New on the forum and just started airbnb in December. Great timing, right? I read the 38 pages, passed the quiz, and signed the enhanced cleaning pledge .We do our own cleaning and it added 2 hours to our cleaning. I gave them back their badge the next day. Specifically, I object to taking all the clean dishes in the cabinets and putting them thru the dishwasher—just in case. I also find it onerous to take down the blackout curtains and wash them between each guest. All those washings mean replacement cutrains in less than 6 months. Expensive and over the top. Finally, I have one area rug in the entire house. If I shampooed that that regularly it would ruin the rug. I clean and disinfect thoroughly, air the house out, wear gloves, leave one day between bookings and just started cleaning the vacuum cleaner—never thought about that one until I read the 38 pages…I also leave hand sanitizer for my guests, and pour bleach over the toilet scrubber followed by warm water rinse, like they suggest in the booklet. But really, who is going to touch the darn thing anyway? I always laugh while I do this now just imagining…
I could have just kept the badge and disregarded some of these obviously over the top cleaning requirements—as I believe most hosts will do— but I think a show of strength here would be important on our part. They need to remove some of these recommendations. The host that agrees to these things and does not do them runs the risk of being “turned in” by a guest who finds fault with the cleaning and wants a refund or a discount or whatever.