Committed to Cleaning

Agreed, absolutely. There’s no reason to add disinfectant to the situation. E.g. don’t overuse disinfectant (using it in a manner that it doesn’t work is overuse).

2 Likes

No, I was thinking of my nurse roomie who I referred to in another post.

Cleaning surfaces is not something I’m worried about at all. What I don’t want is to be a room with a virus shedder. At this point that’s my only concern.

1 Like

Agreed.

1 Like

I took the test and didn’t pass the first question. Why? Cus I didn’t know that I had to scroll my screen down to see the last radio button: all of the above.

hahahahahaha

Super easy and yes, very thorough but repetitive 38 page booklet.

2 Likes

Ahhhhh. But I already told you the answer :wink:

1 Like

I tried to locate the quiz for my two Airbnb spaces, found a likely pages at https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/cleaning/ineligible, and got this message “You don’t currently have any listings that are eligible for the enhanced cleaning protocol.” Is that what you are saying, JJD, that if you don’t select the 3 day block between bookings you can’t take then quiz and get the badge?

I don’t think you can take the quiz until they email you the link.

Are your spaces “private rooms” or “shared spaces”? There was a note that only “entire homes” qualify right now.

Also, it said that it was only US hosts right now with other regions to follow soon. Are you in the US?

No, the 3 day block is recommended if you don’t take the quiz. If you take the quiz you get a highlight on your listing that you committed to the protocols. If you, instead, agree to the 3-day block, then you get a highlight that you did that. It seems that it would not look good if you didn’t have either. I also imagine it will effect search rank. However, if it’s because you don’t have an entire space, the listings similar to yours won’t either.

Actually, I took the quiz 3 days ago when I posted this. I received the email this morning. However, some places won’t qualify to take the quiz. Anyone can try by clicking that link up there in my response to muddy, “read through that overview” before getting the email but if their listings don’t qualify, they still won’t be able to do it.

I have not received the link but after seeing @JJD’s post, I searched the app and found the quiz and took it.

I’d forgotten that I finally gave in and changed my listing to "entire home. " I resisted for a long time thinking I wanted to underpromise but in March making clear it was a separate space overruled that. I think what’s on offer is clear but if and when I get another booking I may send a followup about it.

entire

Ah! I must have missed that part. You are correct in thinking my Airbnb spaces are NOT the whole house. Each is their own private space though, with no areas (besides the garden) shared with each other or myself. That must be why I was ineligible for the quiz, badge, etc. Thanks for taking the time to point that issue out!

Yes, I would definitely consider your place an “entire home”. There are no shared spaces and it has a separate entrance. It’s basically a duplex.

If they are truly separate spaces with no shared space (the garden doesn’t count as a yard or parking wouldn’t), could you not change them to “entire spaces”? Or do they have to go through your kitchen or something to get there?

It seems like it would be best for anyone who possibly can, to go with “entire space” instead of “private room”. I definitely have seen guest suites even listed as “entire space”.

Without a kitchen. :anguished: But if I continue to get mostly one nighters, it’s okay. You may have seen that I tiled the room next to the Airbnb room in the same wood look tile so that I can put a door in between. I really could make it into a tiny duplex apartment.

My Garden on the Way and Denim Suite take up 2/3rds of my home in California. I live in the remaining 1/3 and I have the kitchen to myself, so I’d hate to call each Airbnb space a “whole house.” Each of those spaces are independent of each other and myself, each with their own private entrance and have a bedroom(s) and bathroom, but we are sharing common walls that are not insulated for sound like a condo/duplex would be.

I think of “whole house” as literally everything under the same roof is the Airbnb, the kitchen & laundry room being part of that, no one else is on the premises and so you don’t have to be considerate of others. Nope. No “whole house” here if that’s what people are looking for.

Most of my guests are in the area either visiting Pismo Beach and ATVing on the Oceano Dunes, or they are traveling from Northern CA to Southern CA and want a stop in the middle of that trip. It will be hard to tell if bookings are down because I don’t have that cleaning badge, or because CA is still on a stay-at-home directive, or if it’s because so many activities here are limited or closed for the time being. Summers were always about 100% booked in past years. Life = change, so I’m going with the flow.

I agreed with you 100% until recently. I was just afraid folks wouldn’t book anything but a separate space and only search for “Whole House.” I’m still closed but if it looks like people don’t really care in two months then I may switch back to calling mine a private room.

If a guest uses the filters properly it should work.

Took the quiz; not that easy to find. Then there’s this not-so-obvious extra step to get the badge.
Also who wrote this? It lists oven cleaner and such under “use EPA-listed disinfectants,” instructs you to mop not just the floors but also the walls with soap and water, wear shoe covers (I’m not buying booties, I have “cleaning shoes” to leave in a tray with bleach water), only mentions spray disinfectant (not wipes or liquid), and says that “cleaning” removes “germs,” as opposed to “disinfecting,” which “reduces the number of bacteria” (no mention of viruses that I saw). I get the suggestion to provide hand sanitizer, soap, and even disinfectant wipes to guests, but I’m not going to buy them disposable gloves. Also I’m providing homemade bleach spray and paper towels instead of commercial wipes, to cut less into my bottom line.
Not to be a total whiner, I did note the instruction to “disinfect the vacumm cleaner,” which I hadn’t thought much about and will accomplish with bleach water and cloth.
I will remove all maps, menus, brochures, games, notepads, pens, and sadly my tiny souvenir sales shelf of Virginia peanuts, local soap and Cherry Blossom festival totes with wrapping paper supply. My hard copy guidebook is in plastic envelope pages, so I can wipe it. That will be the only paper media item (other than my business license and permit safely encased in frames on the wall) left in the suite.
Love all the suggestions here, thanks!

1 Like

I thought it was available in a few weeks. I went back to look at my confirmation email and it said this:

soon

Well, of course, you can look at it however you want, but it’s not really as you’ve described. The description isn’t “whole house”. The description is “entire place” or “entire home” (not house). It doesn’t have to be a house. Even a yurt is an “entire place”. Apartments are “entire places” and there will always be someone on the premises unless it’s a stand alone house, but it doesn’t have to be that to be an entire place.

What is very common is guest suites. They are listed as “Entire Guest Suite”, which is a specific type of “entire place”. It sounds like you have guest suites. Obviously it’s up to you, but advertising a “private room” seems incorrect because that specifically implies sharing spaces inside the home, which is not happening.

A guest suite on Airbnb is defined as: “Guest suites have a private entrance and are inside of or attached to a larger structure like a house or garage. These are sometimes called in-laws.”

The search is “Entire Place: Have a place to yourself”. It doesn’t have anything to do with being a house or not. I believe you also have a guest suite. If I wanted to rent a “private room” and rented your place, I would be disappointed that my “private room” was separate from your house. Of course a lot is taken care of in the description, but I’d worry more about how people search. Because it has a separate entrance and no shared spaces in your home, then it’s really a guest suite but I wouldn’t find it if I was looking for a guest suite. Just some thoughts.

1 Like

Mine said that too.

What is

??

I knew it was going to be bad so didn’t really read it. It’s way over the top.

I don’t know that I actually got the badge yet (I’m blocked until August so not monitoring my listing), but I did click the additional buttons after I passed the test to get the badge.