“Comfortable” or “wonderful” beds

I would think it would cause your demographic to skew heavily to single travelers and the young. When you are old and have to get up more than once during the night you need to be able to get out of bed easily. Even on the side that isn’t blocked in getting out of bed can be a challenge when you are old or have any mobility issues at all.

But you picked a lane and stayed in it, which is perfect. Too many hosts are so desperate for bookings that they try to be everything to everyone.

Edit to add: I’d be so delighted to have you tell me that I’m wrong and that many of your guests are on the older side.

4 Likes

My guest bed is also in a nook, and I think that does enchance the sleeping experience. Like Lawrene, it wasn’t really planned that way, it’s just the only place the bed fits.

I’ve had several guests and friends who’ve slept there say, “I don’t know what it is about that bed, but I sleep like a baby there- better than I’ve slept for years.”
I find the same when I’ve slept there. I believe it subconciously harkens back to the womb- a safe, cozy, contained space.

I don’t have trouble getting around it to make the bed, though. It’s only a single bed, and there is just enough space for the bed, the nightstand and some space on the other side. Because it’s a single, it doesn’t need a table on the other side, and the space isn’t large enough to walk through, so it could be pushed up against the wall, but I don’t do that because there are geckos that run around the walls at night.

The floors are tile, and the bed has felt pads under the legs, so I can pull it forward and slide it around easily to make the bed.

Excruciatingly Canadian, I wear a toque to clean. Hmm. TikTok toque…

4 Likes

Totally correct diagnosis: We have a lot of 30-50somethings (as a 40something who gets up at least once a night, this amazes me; perhaps they’re all terribly underhydrated). Somewhat vexingly, this is by far the best place for the bed BUT we set up our AirBnB initially as a guest space for our aging parents, and I’m still figuring out how to make a quick-change/more comfortable option for when they visit us.

1 Like

I live 15 minutes from the border and am going to embrace the toque. Genius.

3 Likes

I detest sleeping on a foam mattress… which is why I travel mostly high end and I seek a “heavenly bed” for my stay. In our properties we provide “traditional “ mattresses. This is a matter of choice and I don’t impose my feelings on other hosts or properties. Foam mattresses are more cost effective and easier to move, and therefore a great option for most properties that compete on a rate basis and those who need to be very cognizant of all expenses.

1 Like

You must have had experience with cheapo foam. High quality foam, that I use for my beds, isn’t inexpensive at all. It’s almost the same price as a decent mattress.

Apparently “foam” is on a huge spectrum. I slept on one of those Tempurpedic mattresses a few years ago. At the time I think they were some of the most expensive beds you could buy. I didn’t like it at all. Then there’s the kind of inexpensive foam used as dog beds and packing material. LOL.

Thanks, everyone, for the experience & resources. I’ll probably go for a high quality topper - try it myself first. I am also partial to crisp white linens and fluffy duvet, which guests have appreciated. My queen bed also has to be against a wall. No complaints except by my partner whose job it is to make it…:grimacing:

Foam quality is called the density. It’s how close the molecules are together. It’s what gives foam its bounce back factor. Low density foams, like the dog beds, used for beds, chairs, etc, end up with dips in them, places where it’s squashed down.

One way I check the quality of foam, if I’m not familiar with what density it might be, is to press your fingernail into it. With high quality foam, the fingernail impression instantly disappears. You’ll still see the nail mark with poor quality.

Then, aside from density, there is the firmness, which is a different thing altogether. You could get a firm foam, thinking it will stand up to abuse, but if it’s low density, it will end up with the depressions where people sit or lie.

Or conversely, you could have a soft foam of high density that holds its shape for a long time.

3 Likes

I should be able to remember that. It’s like humans, the denser they are, the less of an impression I leave on them. :rofl:

3 Likes

Please dont tell me what I have experienced, or how I should feel. This is not the first time that you have decided you know my feelings better than I know me. I don’t care howif you pay “almost the same price as a Decent mattress”. I prefer a “decent” ( ie: tradiional mattress ). High quality foam is…too me…high quality foam. … but still foam. And like I said that is fine for some people and fine for the right needs and circumstances, and I don’t judge anyone who chooses or prefers foam.
But I don’t like foam…high quality or not, and I choose to sleep on “traditional” mattresses and offer those in my properties. That is my choice. You should make your own choice.
There is a reason that high quality hotels don’t select foam for guests.
I agree with them.
I go with the “heavenly bed”.

1 Like

Of course, everyone has their own preference. Not sure what there was to get so upset about.

It was actually pretty offensive that you put forth the notion that foam is inexpensive, which good foam isn’t, and basically suitable for listings where hosts are trying to cut costs.

3 Likes

Foam is “generally “ less expensive than good high quality traditional mattresses. It just is. Yeah tempradedic is expensive…and nectar and other brands are not rock bottom priced, but the overall is that foam costs less than a traditional well made upper end mattress.

I have excellent news for everyone. The “Heavenly Bed” is now on sale. The Queen size isn’t any more expensive than many foam mattresses in a box though the shipping adds some cost. In fact, this mattress is less expensive than all but the least expensive mattresses that Purple makes. All the the bedding to go with the mattress is also on sale and therefore priced competitively with similar products of this quality.
(US hosts only though)

My Mom would’ve described something as “simply divine” (which the ad stated). Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Welcome to the internet!

Seriously, though, coming on to a forum like this with the expectation that you will only find agreement, or that the folks here are going to be less than blunt, is a fool’s errand…

1 Like

Even at its regular price the Heavenly mattress is less expensive than my personal foam hybrid mattress, a Casper.

Apologies if someone already posted this but I’ve always found this website a great resource for ratings and studies on different mattresses and toppers etc.

https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/bed-mattress-review-home.html

I used it extensively prior to buying the (5) mattresses for our units about 3.5 years ago. There’s a lot of interesting information, depending on how deep you want to dive into it. I enjoyed the info on how different types of sleepers and different weights of sleepers find certain mattresses more comfortable or not - a 110lb side sleeper and a 250 lb back sleeper aren’t likely to have the same preference in a mattress.

Because I was buying mattresses for an unknown group of people (guests) I focused on mattresses that the highest ratings among the most types/weights of sleepers so to please the most people most of the time. We ended up with Tuft & Needle because of the wide range of sleepers that like that mattress and we receive a lot of compliments on the comfort of our beds.

2 Likes

Tuft and Needle offered free mattresses before Nest Bedding did. So I upgraded from a fold out futon sofa to a real bed. I personally did not like the T and N and had to get a foam topper. The Nest Bedding was a big upgrade Imo.

Then lots of folks recommended the Nectar to me so I got one for myself and didn’t like it without a foam topper either. My current Purple was purchased from a friend who has that brand. I love it but it’s so freaking heavy! I have no idea what I’ll get next time I replace a mattress.

“Heavenly Bed” 1271 $ for a full mattress no box spring incl. shipping??? :crazy_face:
I’ll stick with a similar on Craigslist for 150…