Coffee machines

I have never liked coffee machines and have never owned one except for an expresso that I occasionally use. Living in the Seattle area for as long as I did, it’s a filter on top of a cup/or pot and pour the water through. A superior way to make coffee but I know lots of people think it’s a hassle.
And, that’s what I provide for my guests in addition to good organic coffee.

1 Like

A statement that the populations of France, Italy, Portugal and Spain are likely to take issue with.

And me.

:blush:

JF

6 Likes

Been to two of those and yeah, they do it differently. Expensive espresso makers are not something I’ll be doing.
US still loves their automatic coffee pots as far as I can tell.

1 Like

We used our small Mr. Coffee coffee maker, purchased post market, it has a 4 cup metal pot. Now it is in the hideaway. Guests get a pint jar of the coffee we like, nothing fancy but mix French roast and Hawaiian. No one has ever asked for a different way to make coffee, and usually they use some of what is provided, which includes 1/2 and 1/2 and flavored creamers. I think a lot of folks are kind of addicted to Starbucks style service and flavors and they can go out and get that, no diff to me! As you can see, the photographer that stayed here brought a French press!

If there are four guests, we offer a bigger coffee maker. I try to keep my buying of any plastics at an absolute minimum.

2 Likes

I provide a Keurig and an inexpensive 12 cup drip coffee maker. I’ve noticed that most guests use the Keurig. I buy the coffee pods at Amazon using my Amazon c/c points so I get it for free. I love the Keurig because it’s teal and it matches the color scheme of the decor : )

3 Likes

As a professional coffee roaster, we want to provide a great experience, with several options.

• Fresh-roasted coffee
  • A Bonita coffee maker, for someone who wants to make a pot
  • A pourover for those who just want to make a cup or two
  • An electric gooseneck kettle for the pourover and tea lovers (we supply a variety of great teas (loose leaf and bags).

I bought my Bonavita (I think that’s what you’re referring to) 5 cup because it makes exactly the right amount for me each day (2 huge cups) and it fits under the low shelf the microwave sits on. If they ever quit making it I’ll have to rearrange my kitchen. That’s my coffee, not guest coffee, which I also grind each morning.

The guest get old crappy pod coffee in a Keurig but that’s what most want. I’d provide my french press if anyone asked. So far the only one who I provide it to is my regular guest who has now become a friend. When her flight is too early to have coffee with me, she gets the press.

1 Like

I have a Bonavita coffee maker 8 cup for guests and my use. I have had so many requests for a Keurig that I finally broke down and bought one on FB Marketplace. $60 got me a basically brand new single cup Keurig along with a 60 pod/4 drawer pod holder, as well as over 80 pods. The Keurig is pale pink. Because my house is pale pink and called the Little Pink Beach House in the listing (along with a few flamingo floaties in the pool). I’ve tried it and the coffees and the Keurig make a decent (not great, but decent) cup of coffee.

I also have my late Dad’s extremely old Mr. Coffee 4 cup machine and it works a treat for just me.

I grind my own coffee (the ex actually roasts his, he made amazing coffees) and it’s in a jar. I ask guests what they want in the morning (pre-Keurig) and put it together the night before so if they get up before I do (ha! not likely with Miss Bella on the leopard prowl for her brekkie) they can get started. I offer Stevia and sugar in the raw in individual packets along with a couple of wooden stirrers and mile or 1/2 and 1/2.

I’ll buy the tiny paper filters for the Keurig but suspect most guest will use what I have or bring their own. I hatehatehate the polluting waste of those things, but the guests love them.

I’ll stage the coffee bar once my current roommate leaves and make it look retro/beachy/pink and add the pics to my listing…

Where do you purchase the tiny filters for the Keurig? I didn’t realize they made them.

1 Like

There are tons of them on Amazon. I haven’t ordered any yet, but these look promising. They also make those metal or plastic pods that you can use like the reusable gold filters. I see that as a recipe for grounds everywhere, but that’s just me.

Frequently bought together
CAPMESSO Disposable Coffee Paper Filters Replacement Kerig Filter Compatible with Reusable Single Serve Pods Keurig Coffee Ma+Reusable K Cups for Keurig 2.0 & 1.0 4 PACK Coffee Makers. Universal Refillable KCups, Keurig filter, Reusable kcup, k cup k-+Perfect Pod EZ-Scoop | 2-in-1 Coffee Scoop and Funnel for Single-Serve Refillable Capsules, 2 Tablespoon Portioned Coffee Sco
Total price:$29.97
Add all three to Cart
These items are shipped from and sold by different sellers.
Show details

This item: CAPMESSO Disposable Coffee Paper Filters Replacement Kerig Filter Compatible with Reusable Single Serve Pods Keurig Coffee Maker- 300 Count (Natural)
$14.99

Reusable K Cups for Keurig 2.0 & 1.0 4 PACK Coffee Makers. Universal Refillable KCups, Keurig filter, Reusable kcup, k cup k-cups reusable filter by Delibru
$6.99

Perfect Pod EZ-Scoop | 2-in-1 Coffee Scoop and Funnel for Single-Serve Refillable Capsules, 2 Tablespoon Portioned Coffee Scooper
$7.99 ($4.00/Fl Oz)

1 Like

I use these for myself at work. No Keurig for us in St Lucia!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TZCLJ5Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Oh now that looks interesting! Certainly appears to be better engineered than the plastic cup that you fold the filter under and…

I love St. Lucia. Had the best time there after the ARC.

1 Like

I host a room in my home with an en suite 2-piece (shared shower). What has worked beautifully & economically is an IKEA French Press ($12), Trader Joe’s inexpensive medium roast (surprisingly good for $2.99 and a variety of nice teas.

A note tells guests to leave the used coffee pot for me to exchange with a new one, and a little reminder above the bathroom not to wash the pot.

Have had many mentions in reviews about the convenience & quality.

1 Like

I offer an array. In my main cottage I offer drip, Nespresso (I don’t supply pods) and stovetop percolator. In the vintage trailer I offer Keurig (with pods), electric percolator and Chemex.

2 Likes

I have a little drip coffee maker, and also a kettle and French press, although it does not ever seem to have been used. I also offer a Starbucks and McCafé across the street, so I don’t feel like anything else is needed!

2 Likes

I offer the minimum on coffee, and neither complaints nor compliments to date. My space only holds 2 people.

Maxwell House hotel-type packets, ordered in bulk for a tiny drip coffeemaker. And a small Bodum pourover carafe with a jar of ground coffee, plus electric kettle. The pourover is rarely used. Apparently my clientele doesn’t care that much about their “coffee experience”!

2 Likes

And this is one reason the planet is drowning in garbage. “I hate creating garbage but…”

We have to stop thinking that convenience or what people love is a reasonable excuse for doing things in a way that doesn’t jive with our values.
So what if guests love something- if it’s harmful to the environment, isn’t that the more important consideration?

BTW, I’m not specifically addressing this to you, cassilinglady, but just expressing my frustration in general with the excuses people make for putting their personal wants, or pandering to those of their guests, above the health of the environment.

We all do it to some degree- only the most extreme environmentalists manage not to create any garbage or pollution, but I don’t consider using a coffee maker than creates unnecessary garbage to be in any way essential and is certainly not a deciding factor in getting good reviews.

4 Likes

Since we home-share and since my husband is a coffeemeister, we don’t generally allow guests to make coffee. Virgil makes it, whenever they want it. He’ll get up at ridiculous times to make coffee. And everyone says they love it. They certainly drink it by the pint or more.

Guests who stay here enough to know how to grind our coffee beans, use our electric kettle, and use our pour-through carafe system sometimes do that for themselves. But most don’t.

No one has ever asked for another way to make or get coffee here.

Being such a coffee snob, Virgil wouldn’t have a Keurig or a Mr Coffee or a French press or any other coffee system in the house! There’s no room for any of that in our guest rooms, so it would have to be the kitchen. He’d never have it!

Your post is great! The I need that, my kid needs that, my pet needs that, my guest needs that mentality is wrecking the planet and it is by the educated “haves” for the most part. Recycling of great things is so much a better way.

3 Likes

we all create garbage, and pollute no matter what. I said I hate the pods and I do.

If you’d read further you’d note that I’m purchasing paper filters for the Keurig.

WE humans are harmful to the environment.

I have never once gotten any review or feedback based on my coffee maker or lack of a Keurig. I bought one and will use it as I - and my guests - see fit.

Even extreme environmentalists create garbage and pollution. NO ONE is zero sum output. So to speak. :poop:

@muddy you do you. call us all out from a superior position. I offer a Belvita, French Press, percolator, and Keurig to my guests.

If you offer coffee, it’s a huge resource hog for the planet.

Ha! My ex husband is a Kiwi and makes the most glorious coffee I’ve ever had. I’m sure he and your Virgil are on a par in that respect as the Kiwi roasts his own beans, too. A cup of coffee takes a while to get but it’s worth it.

I don’t care for the Keurig coffee myself and certainly feel a bit singled out here as I’m not the only poster here who has recently - or not so recently - succumbed to purchased a used Keurig or pod machine.

And since I’ve been doing this for 3 or so years and have had wonderful reviews on coffee, cat, and amenities I don’t think it will make a lick of difference going forward except to guests who care about it.

Upcycling, recycling, and buying used or bartering are tenets I live by. I have a house full of upcycled furniture and buy as little as possible new. I love a good flea market or garage sale.

6 Likes