Coffee cup size?

what are the 8 oz cups used for? I can’t picture in my head how small they are, unless you are talking in metric system. I also know that even the imperial system is not the same everywhere (for example the beer pint in UK is different from the pint in US). So this being said, even after 20 years in the US I don’t know how oz is related to pint or whatever and I tend to convert everything in metric.

But yes, in the USA they use humongous cups for coffee (330 -500ml) and everything else can be either tea cups or turkish coffee cups or espresso cups, depending what you offer. If you ever had tea, turkish coffee or espresso you’d know the size of the cup and if you offer any of these then keep the cups.

1 Like

@Giggi204, that’s easy. Measure how much water you put in the tea pot. If you put say 4-5 cups of water, you will add 4-5 tea spoons and let it simmer. If you don’t drink it all you discard it. If you need more, repeat the process. Now any teapot would do. I have an Ikea one for guests and tea cups/saucers. They came with the china set for 12 people I bought at an estate sale. It’s very good quality, entirely white, exactly how I wanted it.

1 Like

8 oz. is about 250 ml. It’s also called 1 cup in recipes. It’s the size of what I call a normal size mug, not those humogous things that the coffee goes cold in before it’s half full :slight_smile:

Size matters

RR

2 Likes

No jokes here, I want to come have tea with you!

3 Likes

Ha! Thank you! You can “blame” my Dad for all that. Interestingly, many of my friends from elementary and high school hold those Sundays with my Dad’s teas as a high point in their lives. I take that as a huge compliment to my parents.

3 Likes

Not environmentally friendly, but I’ve found that disposable insulating coffee cups with lids are wildly popular with guests. I’m guessing many like to make up to-go cups for going out on whatever they’re doing for the day. You could get those in 8 oz. (I provide a variety of disposables because I don’t have a dishwasher.)

1 Like

I have these as well as inexpensive insulated stainless reusable travel mugs. Many guests use them and bring them back and are really happy to have them. I got them at one of the dollar stores, so it won’t break the bank if one or two go on the plane with a guest.

Anything “disposable” makes me cringe. I am environmental friendly. For this reason I won’t offer Keurig either. The guests had better use my ceramic cups. If they want coffee on the go they better go to starbucks.

1 Like

One of my guest groups actually bought their own disposable coffee cups. The package came with cups and lids. They used all of the cups and left the package containing most of the lids in the kitchen pantry. I don’t know how many cups were in the package, but there were more than 20 unused lids in the package and lots of cups in the trash.

1 Like

Sadly then you are contributing to global warming being in the travel business… This was pointed out on another thread the other day. Guests on vacation fly, drive and waste stuff and we host them. But that is no reason to not try, just something to think about.

RR

3 Likes

My place is in a mountain town resort area. One of the attractions is the local craft community. So I have collected mugs by local potters. I get comments from guests all the time that love the assortment of mugs. I ended up putting a page in my book about where in town to find the mugs. My daughter is in art school working toward her degree in ceramics. When she has time I am going to get her to make me a bunch of mugs with our logo and web address on them. It would be a fun thing to give away one with each booking.
I also have a backup set of Corelle dishes that came with tea cups and saucers. So if anyone really wants that option, it is there.

5 Likes

That would be a lot of mugs, or at least I hope it would be. :grinning:

1 Like

My space has a 2 night minimum and is mostly a weekend type destination. The occasional week long stay but not very often. So I get at most 4-5 bookings a month, so not as many mugs as you would think. Right now I have a long term med student in there so no new bookings until she’s checked out.

2 Likes

I have tiny coffee cups, small-two med. ones, and HUGE ones that hold warm and cold beverages.

I started out with tiny ones. I drink coffee but never officially required a mug. I just drink out of what is available. This is Rego brand by the way and I am going to guess these tiny coffee mugs are 3 oz. They hang from a cabinet. They are retro and restaurant quality…love the look of them. I got a steal on Rego stoneware from a post on craigslist. So I have all the retro Regro stoneware bread plates, saucers, mini coffee mugs, soup cups, and bowls. The bowls I saw on Ebay going for $6.50. I got every single piece for twenty five cents a piece.

They all get used BTW. Including the saucers. I think some of my guests like the old school “experience” - just to be sure to provide at least large coffee mug ware. When I only had the smaller size I did get feedback from one person and that’s when my partner went all out and bought the huge size.