Cleaning Hack - shadow stains on white towels

This came about because i have a roof issue and mould on my ceiling.
Looked up how to deal with it.
Found out that those Mould cleaning spray have a particular stronger ingredient to kill mould.
I go off and buy the strongest one I can.
Then I thought about the other potential applications.
I had a few towels which are new, clean, but have shadow stains.
So lay them out and spray the areas, left them for 12 hours, washed as normal and the shadows are GONE! Now adding the mould spray to the laundry arsenal.

3 Likes

What is in your mold spray? Isn’t it just chlorine bleach?

1 Like

Sodium hypoclorite - it isn’t listed on my standard laundry bleach.

That’s bleach. Maybe swimming pool strength!

Another hack is to put dishwasher pellets in the load.

3 Likes

I think it’s just bleach. But I got a D in chemistry. Anyway, did you ever try simple chlorine bleach on the shadow stains first? And let us know if this mold solution damages the fibers of your towels over time.

1 Like

I thought about swimming pool chlorine - but have seen that eat fabric.
The mould stuff comes in a spray pack, so is an easy way to apply.
I didn’t saturate it - just sprayed so it was damp and rolled them up.
It worked, so I am happy!
Too many towels were too good for the rag bag and if I get a longer use out them, the replacement cost reduces.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s just bleach, though the concentration may be different from laundry bleach.

From Wikipedia

Sodium hypochlorite is most often encountered as a pale greenish-yellow dilute solution commonly known as liquid bleach or simply bleach , a household chemical widely used (since the 18th century) as a disinfectant or a bleaching agent.

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s not cheaper than bleach and I have tons of spray bottles so I’ll stick with that.

These towels/ hand towels/ washers have been soaked, treated and everything I could think of. I had some trades people stay.
This was easy to do and it worked.

2 Likes

But how is it on waffles? Just kidding :smile:

It reminds of the first time I got a box of magic erasers. I cleaned everything that evening. I could not be stopped.

1 Like

You can buy higher concentration liquid chlorine at any store that sell pool supplies. In Phoenix, Home Depot, Walmart, and even grocery stores have it. It’s usually around 10% sodium hypochlorite whereas laundry bleach is around 6%. Costs around $3/gallon when you buy 2 gallons, which is about the same as laundry bleach. But, it loses it’s potency much quicker, so probably not worth it for laundry use.

Also, if your spray bottle isn’t designed for bleach, make sure you empty it and rinse it out after use. I’ve used various spray bottles for spraying chlorine around the edged of my pool for years, with interesting results. The most common problem is the rubber parts crack and break and the sprayer stops working, but I’ve had the liquid chlorine in the bottles turn brown because the small metal spring rusted. Once I even had a bottle crumble in my hand when I picked it up spilling liquid chlorine everywhere.

1 Like

Definitely check those towels in a little while to see if the fabric has deteriorated after the long exposure. I’ve seen fibers break down after a long bleach exposure.

2 Likes

Thanks - I will, but wanted to try this to see if I could extend the use as they are fairly new.

Thanks, as always, all good information. I doubt I’ll be buying any industrial strength chlorine as I’ve always been able to get all the stains out with my current regime. And if not my $6 towels will just become rags. Now if I had multiple houses like Deb then I might eventually need a product like this.

1 Like

Some of these towels were $89.95 reduced to $17, so doing my best to salvage them.

2 Likes

Haha! I did the same thing when I first got magic erasers. Like a kid in a candy store, touching everything :joy:

2 Likes