Cleaning fees have turned me off!

And that if that works it works. I don’t because I have to factor in what my clients can get in the area for the same price. Throwing an annoying fee doesn’t keep things booked. Each to their own though. A business has to make sense. If you can afford to keep it unoccupied, or your spot is so great that it doesn’t matter. Great. If you don’t want smaller bookings, there you go. I have been asking and find that all the way up until a week people don’t want those fees. Not sure what why you would EVER call a potential customer a cheapskate.

1 Like

Why would I join this forum? :slight_smile:

Because they can be cheapskates, I do not want the bottom feeding cheapskates in my listing. I want higher end, better quality guests. Does that make sense?

jeez

I have guests not customers

RR

3 Likes

Yes, why did you? Are you a host? A guest?
Hard to figure it out.

RR

1 Like

I manage an air bnb room in the house I rent a room in to make extra money. We are close to the airport. On an average I get 23 days and 98% are all one day stays. People flying in and out of the airport. It takes me at least an hour and half to do the laundry, fold the towels, stock the room, make the beds, vacuum and mop the floor. Every single day. Oh and clean the bathroom. I only get paid 20% plus my cleaning fee 5 bucks which I’m realizing it needs to be 10. I’m sorry you feel all that work doesn’t constitute at least a 10 charge. I’ve had instances where I’ve had to clean the bathroom twice during a stay because there’s enough sand in the bathroom to create a small beach! I think the 65 average a night we charge and that includes the fee is astronomical! I’ve stayed in hotels around our area at 120 a night where we had to leave because they were disgusting and bugs and just unbelievable. You couldn’t sit on the bed or take your shoes off. I provide a beautiful room and bathroom, sparking water, water, crackers and cheese and all bathroom ammendies. I think a small fee is absolutely necessary if you want a beautiful place to stay!

1 Like

Just curious why you wouldn’t just price all your costs into the nightly rate if your clientele is mostly 1 nighters?

I thought the rationale for a cleaning fee vs pricing it into the rate was to reward long stays, or penalize short ones depending on your view of the proverbial glass.

2 Likes

Because I just host like many people and I do all the work, so he’s told me that I get 20% of the booking fee and 100% of the cleaning fee. So if I add it in I get way less and I do a lot of work everyday.

That’s kind of what it does, but the rationale is to help hosts account for real costs. I.e. Hiring a cleaning crew to clean the listing once per stay.

You’re completely right about just rolling the cleaning costs into the nightly rate if you get only one-nighters. But, if your competition has a separate cleaning fee and you roll it into your nightly rate, then their nightly rate may appear cheaper than yours in some views, so it’s not necessarily the best move.

2 Likes

I work 70 hours a month on the room and wait for people to check in facilitating all communication, wait for people sometimes till 1am. Write all the reviews. I only get like 350 a month. So getting an extra 80 dollars a month is nothing compared to all the work I put in. So much work I just made super host in 6 months!

He? Who?

I think I am confused.

To me I would prefer long stays and not clean every single day! So I reward long stays not short ones! I don’t think 75 and that includes the cleaning is expensive for a one night stay in la close to the airport and beaches.

@Julie_Galindo said she manages an Airbnb, so assume “he” is the owner.

1 Like

Based on what you’ve said, you get $19 for every one-night stay for about 1.5 hours work. That’s pretty low for Los Angeles.

1 Like

I get that, which is why I call out “No cleaning fee!” In the short description before the “read more” text break.

I have seen some real shady business with cleaning and extra guest fees. One listing is a whole house for $49 a night. Of course nobody gets it for that rate because it’s $25 per head over 1 (sleeps 6) and a $200 cleaning fee. (This would piss me off as aguest, it’s just dishonest).

I opted to just price it in for now. I have a 2 to 3 day minimum. It costs me 3 to 5 hours of labor for each turnover and another 45 minutes or so for setting it up for incoming guests.

1 Like

I believe charging a cleaning fee is fairer to my guests than attempting to incorporate it into the room rate.

Cleaning is a one-off cost to me per stay and is the same cost for every stay (regardless of duration). Since it’s a one-off cost to me, it’s only fair it be a one-off cost to my guest.

So my guests get charged the room rate each night because they are using the room each night, but they get charged the cleaning fee once because the room is only cleaned once during their stay.

Now… if, like hotels/motels, I was servicing the room (making beds, cleaning toilet, etc) every day of my guests stay, then incorporating the cost into the daily rate would make more sense.

6 Likes

How is that dishonest when it is clearly indicated when you read the entire listing book for the correct number of people?

I have whole house listings:
$60 w $50 cleaning and $20 over 1 guest - sleeps 12
$45 w $40 cleaning and $20 over 1 guest - sleeps 2
$44 w $40 cleaning and $20 over 1 guest - sleeps 5

Am I being dishonest?

1 Like

Since Airbnb seems to be moving toward the hotel model don’t be shocked it they remove the cleaning fee option eventually and force everyone to include it in their price.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I don’t think @Julie_Galindo is being fairly compensated.

2 Likes

It sounds from what you said before, that this is a shared house? If that’s the case then you’d still need to clean every day, especially if the bathroom is shared. A shared bathroom needs cleaning several times a day, depending on how many people are using it.

If guests have kitchen access then that will need cleaning at least once a day too. So will any common rooms such as the sitting room and so on.

Common areas like the hallways, staircase, entry etc. also needs attention at least once a day and outdoor areas will need to be frequently looked after too.

So with someone staying for a month you’d still be cleaning every day. Hopefully.

please please tell me you’ll post regularly xxx