Cleaning fees have turned me off!

although they know it saves them the cleaning fee

3 Likes

@Annet3176 Your listing is a perfect example of how each listing is different. It’s great that we can share and learn from one another but hard and fast rules don’t always apply.

I don’t think I could trust guests to clean because I’m too much of a control freak. LOL. Every time I wash the sheets I run a lint roller over them and I find hairs every time. I just hate the thought of a guest pulling the covers up to their face and seeing someone else’s hair staring them in the face. LOL.

9 Likes

Good on you!!! I have to hand it to you, that is very cool that you give your guests this option, trust them enough to do it and it is working.

2 Likes

I think it’s great that you have been able to make remote hosting work and your excellent reviews are a testament to that. Lovely place.

3 Likes

My guests who just left did clean, but I still have to clean. They didn’t move the furniture, nor the small refrigerator which is gross underneath. They didn’t wipe out the insides of the dresser drawers or defrost the fridge. “Clean” for routine home maintenance is quite different than “clean” for picky newcomers just arriving and looking for any excuse to complain.

3 Likes

Let’s admit it, we’re all jealous of @Annet3176.

7 Likes

She needs some kind of host badge!

5 Likes

I don’t consider it a long term discount, I consider it passing on what I’m paying out of pocket. I pay between $50-$60 depending on which cleaner I employ, sometimes a little more. I pay that no matter how long someone stays. I’m not offering a long term discount; I don’t even want anyone staying long term. The perfect length stay IMO is 3-4 days. Those guests are busy sightseeing, trying new restaurants, etc., and typically have a very low impact on my place. I get a couple of days to relax between guests.

That’s the first thing that came to mind with me, “where is NO HAIR on that checklist?” I’m glad the system is working, but I am way too controlling.

Exactly!!! Does @apoecreation get down on her hands and knees and scrub the wall behind the toilet? I do appreciate guests that leave the unit clean. I rate them highly and definitely mention it in their review. If they are semi-local I will encourage them to come back and maybe even offer a discount on their next stay. It’s still never clean enough for my standards for the next guest. I’ve also already hired my cleaner so I have to pay regardless.

My friend Scarlett & her sister rented an Airbnb in savanah SC. When the cleaner arrived post stay she notified the owner it appeared no one had stayed there and the unit was clean. The owner refunded my friend the cleaning fee and it was much appreciated and reinforced she & her sister were doing the “right thing” in their Airbnb travels (which is something they will do regardless—good people).

Not related comment: The refund had no influence on the following but they went out of their way to leave an honest review. Prior reviews mentioned “sketchy neighborhood but we had no trouble”. A more accurate description is “beautiful home. Older neighborhood in process of rejuvenation.” We laughed about what other people refer to as sketchy—early in our nursing careers we each did volunteer work in some neighborhoods that sketchy was an upgrade. One of her favorite jobs was at the county jail.

I love that name Scarlett. My nephew just named his daughter that.

1 Like

i always thoroughly clean after i use airbnb - (sometimes cleaner than when i arrived ))))…generally people leave my place very clean too…what do other people get? do certain people really leave a mess?..i just couldnt use a flat then leave it all messed up…

I get mostly pretty clean guests. Many it’s hard to tell they were there. The worst ones eat in the room and leave crumbs or food residue, drips, etc here and there. Sometimes I have to wipe down the refrigerator, scrub the microwave, clean urine from the floor around the toilet, wipe soap and toothpaste off the bathroom mirror, pull wads of hair out of the drain cover. I now only give 5 stars to the people who are very clean. If they leave trash sitting around on table tops, a mess in and around the toilet I give 4 stars (not that it really matters).

hairs…aya ((…nightmare for all - say no more…

I’ve been a host for three years and I totally agree with Cynthia1. In my opinion all costs should be included in the nightly rate. Charging extra for cleaning just feels underhanded and off-putting.

1 Like

I’ve been hosting since 2010. I have always had a cleaning fee and always will. Guests who don’t like it are free to book elsewhere.

6 Likes

But someone who stays for 2weeks will end up paying an awful lot of cleaning fees compared to someone who stays for one night. You still only clean one bathroom and launder one set of linen (for example)

If you do one lot of cleaning per holiday, whether it’s a day or a week, you should charge one lot of cleaning…sounds fair to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No it is the opposite! If my cleaning fee is $100 for example, it can be spread over 14 days. If they only stay one night it can’t be. I always discourage on night guests because it’s not a good value.

I think we agree, but I was replying to Ulfben, who disagrees with the fee. I think!

1 Like