Cleaning fees have turned me off!

Thanks for the encouraging words. I can tolerate the runny itchy eyes and stuffed up head but not the vertigo and queasiness it gives me, especially in the morning. Even the locals are feeling it because of the especially long dry summer after a record breaking rainy season previous to that.

I’m going to try to tough it out for a few weeks longer. Might head back to California…once they get the fires put out! :wink:

Congrats on your sale! I did the same thing with my condo and for the same reason as you. It closed at the end of last month but I’ll be managing it for the next 4 mos., though I’m hoping less than that. The new owner needs to decide which property mgmt co. to go with and then I’ll turn it over. Until then, I’ve got 9 more bookings.

So you sold your house months ago! Wow, I didn’t know it was even in the making. I have a LTR in Bend - we also traveled the coast one summer and it was beautiful but it’s like an angry sea with clouds of salt spray, rugged rocks, wind-y and cold.

Hey, no sales tax in Oregon and you pump yer’ own gas. California taxes eat you alive.

3 Likes

There were actually 3 properties in my mom’s estate. I was living in one. Couldn’t really afford to buy out my 2 brothers and didn’t want to pay market value rent ($2800/mo 2bed/bath back house) so here I am homeless in Bandon. OR. I’ve actually got a nice little studio in the woods. I don’t know what my next move is.

You are right about the angry sea. This ain’t Disneyland with a velvet rope around all the natural wonders to keep you safe. OMG this is the WIld West for sure. I’ve learned a couple lessons. A lady I met at the Langlois Grange said, “Yep. This is the edge. The crusty outer edge.”

Aren’t you in Seattle? Haven’t made it up quite that far. I liked Tacoma.

Yes, no sales tax here, and I"ve noticed things seem cheaper here than the SoCal. I do like not having to pump my own gas! I feel sorta guilty having them do it but it does give them a job, albeit one that doesn’t pay much. In fact people do seem sorta poor here–just getting by.

2 Likes

Ahh so! My mother left two properties and I had her house rented out for a couple of years and decided to sell it and distribute to my two sisters. I hope to sell the other this next year after I get rid of the deadbeats.

No, I’m not in Washington but thinking about it because of the no-income tax perk, like Nevada, Wyoming, etc., but it’s too damn cold now. Am currently in a seasonal home and shucking rental properties from afar to simplify.

@Joy1

To help keep my beach condo rentals affordable (cleaning fees can range from $150-$200 for a 2BR 2BA condo), my condo is “self-service cleaning”. With over 100 bookings, I’ve only had 3 times when the condo wasn’t left in good shape but even then it wasn’t left in terrible shape.

Also I frequently get comments that they appreciate the option of cleaning & not having to pay the fee. My guests do a better job than the services. The services during peak season, zoom in, do light cleaning, and zoom out. I appreciate the good job my guests do.

2 Likes

What do you do with the guests when it was not left clean?

I also have never allowed to waive the cleaning fee in fear the guests don’t do a good job. Maybe if not a same day turn you could give 50% off the fee. Give you a chance to take care of what they missed. However i never know if it will be a same day turn when they are booking and trying to negotiate.

1 Like

@konacoconutz

Part of house rules, “if unit is not left clean, in compliance with the cleaning check list, up to a $150 cleaning fee will be charged.”

I call the new guest and ask if the unit was left clean & in good shape. If new guest says “no”, they send me pics, I use the pics to bill the prior guest and give the new guest a “cleaning refund”

I also make it very clear at the initiation of the booking that they are expected to do the exit cleaning.

2 Likes

I like your system! Would you mind sharing your cleaning list with us (me)?

Do these so called exit cleaners ever mark you down on cleanliness?

Most of my reviews talk about how clean the unit is. The three times I’ve had problems guests understood the process, loved getting a cleaning payment, and left 1-#3 &2-#4s. The 3 times the cleaning wasn’t top-notch were really minor: The worse was 1 X not leaving the bathroom clean enough. During peak summer season, unless someone is staying in a 5 star accommodation, this could happen anywhere.

I think the biggest reason for acceptance is when the guest makes the request to book is I send the message:

Thank you for your booking. Before all is final, let’s make sure the following is acceptable to you.

1. Cleaning the unit: To help make the unit affordable, it is self-service. (no daily maid service ) You are responsible for the exit cleaning. Cleaning supplies are there.

Linens and towels are there. You must wash and dry the unit’s linens before you leave. (Many guests bring their own)

@Kingi

Here is the list. I’m sure guests don’t do everything on this list but I believe they do a good job cleaning the bathroom and floor then check to make sure the other items look clean (e.g. clean sliding glass door) and clean if it doesn’t.

Cleaning check list

 Sweep/vacuum all floors (including behind the doors)
 Mop as needed
 Dust living room, kitchen & bedroom
 Clean handprints from sliding glass doors

 Wipe off kitchen counters
 Leave dining table clean
 Clean sink
 Wash all dishes
 Empty coffee pot
 Empty dishwasher
 Empty washer & dryer
 Make sure paper towels available

 Clean bathroom mirror
 Clean toilet
 Clean tub
 Make sure toilet paper available

 Take out trash (bathroom & kitchen) to dumpster
 Place new trash bags in cans

 If you used the bed linens and towels, wash and place in the closet
 Place comforter and pillows on bed(s)

 Did you use the last of something? The goal is to leave supplies for the next person. Please help me keep the unit stocked.

NOTE: If the unit isn’t cleaned when you leave, a cleaning fee of $75 will be deducted from your deposit.

2 Likes

I once had a host offer me a cleaning job! It helps that there are always 3 adults in our travelling party. 1 can watch the children and the rest of us will do the last clean plus I clean as I go daily. The house is usually immaculate before I head to bed. Same as I do in my own home

2 Likes

Do they wash and iron the bedding and towels and change them as part of the exit cleaning?

Do you or someone else then check to make sure it is done to the standards you want?

From earlier in this thread. I send this message to booking requests:

The guest either washes and dries the unit’s towels & linens & stows them when they leave or brings their own. The current rate for a linen service is $25-$50 per guest per week. My target audience is budget conscious responsible adults. Most of my rentals are to families with children or to groups of women who are seeking a 'trip with the girls". They appreciate not paying the cleaning and linen fees charged by other rentals.

I call the guest upon arrival and ask if they found everything clean & in good shape. I also explain that I always ask the next guest about the unit condition (in other words, leave it clean or they will tell on you)

I have a friend in the neighborhood if there is an emergency but she is too busy to be available for every check in/check out.

About ironing the linens…I think the only hotel I’ve stayed in with pressed linens was a Ritz Carlton. I’m glad you are able to offer the luxury. Clean linens folded in the closet are the requirement. Ironing is not required.

Well to each her own. If it works for you, more power. I would just personally find it easier and simpler to clean myself between guests.

I live 4 hours away. Cleaning myself is not an option. I wish it were. I want to live at the coast.

I think it’s good that you have found a niche that works for you @Annet3176.

Personally I would find it too stressful operating a listing remotely where I didn’t have a local manager on hand to check the property between guests, not just in terms of cleanliness but in terms of general wear and tear.

I iron linens because I don’t like how they look on the bed when they aren’t, and don’t see it as a luxury :slight_smile: but easier for me as I live on site.

1 Like

As long as it works for you @Annet3176, I think you’ve found a great system!

1 Like

Bit of a pain in the butt for guests though

1 Like