Checkout time 10am?

Mine is 11am but very rarely do people stay that late, nearly 9am and all have gone. Check in 5pm, a few times I have been asked for earlier and when I have agreed they never turn up that early so I only do so if I know I will be here anyway.

ok, I changed it back to 10; I will post it prominently in the room too, so they cant miss it. If they request to stay till 11 I will let them but Im guessing not many will.

@diamond54 But again, this only applies to new bookings, not the ones you already have on your calendar.

1 Like

We changed to 10a check-out We also changed check-in to 2p. No one has mentioned it. However, we have a two night minimum during the summer.

Previously, our previous check-out time was 11a and that WAS a problem for some 1 night guests who wanted to make the most of their booty call. I expect that you would get fewer reservations of this kind.

I think itā€™s very arbitrary ā€¦ here it entirely depends on what time guestsā€™ flights are as 95% of our guests are on holiday. We do our own cleaning and nearly always leave a day clear for changeover so we can give a late checkout time if needed. The default time set by our local regulations is 12 noon ā€¦ but thatā€™s Spain for you!

When we travel we would be totally useless with a 10am checkout. Itā€™s stressful enough for me trying to get the husband out of the door by 11!

1 Like

that would be fine w me! The one nighters I have found are the worst!!! I cant believe how much trash they leave and they use up all the towels!They want their moneys worth for sure.

1 Like

We have a 10:00 checkout.
Check in is at 15:00.

We need this time, especially if we have to clean more units the same day.
Most of the time it is not problem.

If there are problems with check out, it is mostly with families with young children. Somehow they are unable to properly manage their time.

I dont get kids. I just hate waiting around till 11 to clean the room,My goal is to be in and out in an hr to an hour and 15 minutes, that includes touchup painting when guests hit the walls with their suitcase!

I have set a check out time at 10am and was just badly burned for it.

Sent message at 10.03, asking if theyā€™d checked out and got no response. Tried calling various times after that - phone was turned off. Finally knocked on the door at 11.30 and they were still sleeping and were mad, saying that check out was 11am, not 10am - regardless, it was already past that time as well. They got their stuff, their 2 dogs and 1 cat and left at 12.00 noon and absolutely trashed me with all kinds of lies in their review.

Instead of banging on the door and telling them to get out and risk getting a crappy review this is what I wouldā€™ve done. Simply nothing, I would let them check out late. And then at review time I would simply say it is listed on my website and rules that checkout time is 10 AM. The guest left after 12 oā€™clock. Thatā€™s all you have to say. No other host will EVER rent to a guest that checked out two hours late !thatā€™s your best revenge

2 Likes

Diamond,
I had another booking for check-in at 3pm today, so, I couldnā€™t let them stay until whenever. I had to clean and get the unit ready.

6 Likes

@Michaela_Graham itā€™s a good idea to send guests a reminder of check out the day before (I usually send a reminder in the morning so thereā€™s no chance they can miss it.)

1 Like

No, I donā€™t agree with just letting them get away with it. You can bang on the door after a reasonable grace period and still leave a bad review, just say the guest didnā€™t respect the check out time.

3 Likes

Our checkout time is 10am and 2pm for checkin. I do occasionally get the odd guest asking for a later check-out time, actually the people I have in today asked to check out at 11, I just play it by ear, but generally, everyone is happy to go at 10am.

I do have a 3 bedroom entire house, so the extra hour to clean it really helps. If I only had a room or a small apartment, I would probably make it later.

I am a night person, so I would avoid a listing with a 10:00 A.M. check out time.

1 Like

The check-out time depends on several factors - location, clientele, your needs, whether it would detract guests from booking, and whether guests are short or long term.

In my case, I rent rooms in my home, most of my guests are long term, I am in an area where demand is high, I work during the week and allow people to check-out after I leave. (I ask them to confirm their departure via Airbnb messaging) I used to have a later check-out time, but found that on those rare occasions when someone was leaving on the weekend, my day was shot, when guests didnā€™t leave until 11AM or Noon. Nope. I changed it to 9 AM. The earlier time also works better if I have a guest that I am not comfortable with, because I will stay home until they leave and get to work late, rather than leave for work and worry. It also came in handy when I had a terrible guest. I called Airbnb and was able to move up the departure date and didnā€™t have to let them hang around for a few more hours. Thatā€™s what works for me. Never had a complaint about the check-out timeā€¦ doesnā€™t mean I wonā€™t everā€¦ and it doesnā€™t mean that the check-out time is unchangeable. And yes, I have had some guests ask to stay past the check-out time, which I have allowed. I have information listed in the rules about late check-outs, including extra fees. Iā€™m flexible, but there needs to be a conversation - donā€™t assume.

If somebody asked to stay till 11 Iā€™m fine with that I would let them stay but for the most part I just want to get rid of them by 10 and get my cleaning over with.Iā€™m always sold out on the weekends anyway if one person wonā€™t book it somebody else will

2 Likes

I have a check out time of 10 and itā€™s not usually a problem. One of my properties is a whole house vacation rental that is three and a half hours from my home. This week I had renters who asked for a noon check out. Because I didnā€™t have anyone until the next day and I was staying at the property that night I said yes. They didnā€™t leave until 1:30 They were packing up, etc. from their week at the beach. I was fully aggravated. If I had a renter coming that same day I never would have gotten the turn-over done. I want to add thisā€¦

If you do not depart by 10 am I will have trouble having the house ready for my next guest. Therefore, I will retain $25 of your security deposit for every 15 minutes or any part thereof past 10 am. Iā€™m sorry for how this sounds, but it is based on experience.

Do you think itā€™s enforceable? My observation is that AirBnB is 99% interested and concerned with guests and barely 1% interested/concerned with hosts. So, Iā€™m guessing no.

1 Like

Mine is 10am, but when there is no back to back booking, I allow them to check out before 12pm. A few guests appreciated the offer and used it and some others still leave before 10am.
There was only one group who stayed beyond check out time without negotiation with me and that was a trouble guest. I had back to back booking, the guest knew it but left my property at 10:45am and didnā€™t report damage caused by her until 9:50am. That was a terrible day for me. I waited for 45 mins for her to vacate and I had to call Airbnb and open a case at the same time, and turnover the house in 3 hours. The house was super messy, and I had to call someone to help me get things ready and fix the damage. Since then, I prefer to have a day between bookings.

Not enforceable. The security is for physical or other damages.