Check in contract

Hello, I’m completly new and would appreciate an advice regarding the documents a customer shoul sign at check in
Thank you

None, for me anyway.

JF

I don’t have anything for guests to sign.

I guess it depends on your own standards regarding dealing with strangers. Can you give us a little more idea of the sort of thing you mean? Is it a type of agreement that you’d use for longer term guests?

I just want to make shore they respect the place, don’t destroy anything, don’t steal, don’t disturb the neighbors, don’t smoke inside, don’t make any illegal activities and they respect the limit for checkin/checkout. Of course, if they brake these rules, they have to assume the expenses

I think there are two questions:

1. Will Airbnb allow you to force the guest to sign the agreement? This is similar to collecting copies of photo IDs from guests. If it’s not required by your local government and a guest complains, Airbnb might just say that guests aren’t required to sign it and treat it as a host cancellation. It really doesn’t matter if your house rule say that guests must sign your agreement since Airbnb customer service people are not consistent and they will make a decision and once they do, it will be too late to save the reservation.

2. Is there any value of having the additional agreement? Airbnb requires guests to agree to your house rules as a condition of booking. The value of another agreement may depend on what country you’re in and whether your guests are from that same country. Here in the USA, a signed agreement wouldn’t mean much, except that it would give you an edge in court if you had to sue the guest, but you’d have to be willing to go though the time and expense of a lawsuit.

1 Like

It seems that you’re going into this assuming that your guests are going to behave badly. Why is that?

Probably because @Narcis_Semeniuc has been reading this forum for more than an hour… :crazy_face:

11 Likes

Haha @Brian_R170 - crazy-making yet helpful, all in one batch = forum :joy:

@Narcis_Semeniuc – generally speaking there is no need for guests to sign a contract to ensure their behavior. Such a contract may not be allowed by Airbnb, since it already requires guests to agree follow your House Rules. More than 99% of guests are well behaved, polite, good people. It’s just that the 1/10 of 1% of guests who are BAD get all the press and media coverage.

5 Likes

I thought the same thing.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

A contract won’t ensure that these things won’t happen, unfortunately. While it might provide you with more personal information (name, address, ID, etc.) than you are likely to get from Airbnb, a contract won’t protect you. Things like security cameras, on-site/nearby management, immediately addressing issues when they come up, etc. are going to be much more helpful in avoiding problems and dealing with them when they (inevitably) occur.

2 Likes

You can’t “make sure” that guests will respect the place and the rules simply by asking them to sign something. There are no blanket assurances in the hosting business. Ceebee has some good advice, and I would stress the importance of learning how to vet prospective guests well and following your gut feeling about a guest who is wanting to book. The way a guest communicates at the time of booking can tell you a lot about whether they will be a decent guest or not. Also look at their reviews and profile write-up, if they have any.
And if you are hosting on Airbnb, you can’t fine or charge guests for breaking rules- only for actual damages or over-the-top cleaning, or extra guest charges if they showed up with more thn they booked for. As a host, you have to address any rule-breaking issues with the guest in whatever way works for you.
I would also strongly suggest you do not use Instant Book until you become more experienced in learning how to vet prospective guests. Many hosts, like me, don’t use IB at all- we prefer to have some communication with guests before approving their bookings, especially if you are a home-share host.

Actually you can if it is written in your house rules…although there may be a point at which Airbnb decides that they will no longer support you in collecting or receiving it.

I would prefer to have Air there for me when I really need them vs. having them flag my account as difficult/too many cases opened. I can imagine a host getting ghosted by Air at some point if they claim for every little thing.

RR

3 Likes

Well, from hundreds of posts I’ve read from hosts who were told by Airbnb that there is no consequence for guests simply breaking rules, unless the host decides to just boot them out, I gather that hosts have to ask for compensation in a different way than for breaking rules, per se. In other words, you can’t fine a guest simply because they smoked in a non-smoking listing, but you can charge them for the extra cleaning that results.

1 Like