Charging for more than one guest in a self contained apartment

My AirBnB is two bedroom 1.5 bathroom apartment. It can sleep 4 and I charge the same for one to four guests.

It occurred to me I could be missing out on the lone traveller since the room rate is not as competitive versus a hotel even though it’s much roomier and you can cook your own meals.

I was thinking of having a lower rate for one guest and then a second rate for guests up to 4.

I guess the main risk is a person booking and then more guests use the place but I should be able to tell when they check out? Don’t want to install a camera.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Without proof Airbnb won’t back you up. Without a camera you won’t have proof unless the guest admits to having not paid for all the guests. If you have all the business you want don’t change anything.

1 Like

Why not leave it as it is? There aren’t many people travelling on their own who’d want a two bedroom apartment.

My house has a downstairs two-bedroom rental unit. Each bedroom has a queen-size bed that can sleep two adults. I charge guests a per-bedroom, per-night fee.

Several months ago, two women paid for only one bedroom during their one-night stay. After their departure, my wife and I discovered the women slept in both bedrooms. Thus, cheating us of another bedroom rental fee.

Since then, I have installed door locks on each of our two Airbnb bedrooms. When we show two “non-romantic” guests our rental bedrooms, we ask: “Which of the two bedrooms do you both want to sleep in?” Then, we lock the door to the unused bedroom until they leave.

Problem solved.

3 Likes

If you want to create an incentive, do it for 2 people = 1 couple. Then add an extra guest fee for each additional person.
Be prepared that both rooms and beds will be used on the 2 person reservation.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. I’ve only been active 6 weeks and in the 10 guests I’ve had only one was a business traveller. He took advantage of using my apartment as a place to meet his business colleagues as he said it was way less expensive than hiring a meeting room at the airport. But his colleagues didn’t stay the night so clearly that was not an issue anyway.

Plus I did a quick scan of the up market hotels in my area and single bedroom places are comparably priced with much less space so I think I will just leave the room as it is, same rate for no matter how many people stay up to the four person maximum.

1 Like

Let’s say you have two pricing schemes.

1. $200/night for 1-4 people

2. $50/night and $50 for each guest after 1 up to 4 total.

The nightly rate will be the same but you’ll get more complaints and trouble with #2. Guests won’t see the value in it because they see they can get this whole place for $50 a night so whats one more person?

You could also do something like what I do

$190/night plus $5-8 extra per person per night with a small discount if you rent more than one night. I still get people who cancel and get mad they have to pay another $5 though. Seriously. If you don’t have that length-of-stay discount pricing option yet it might be because you haven’t hosted enough nights yet. It will be available though.

So, where in the booking process do you establish if two guests are “romantic”?

All sounds a bit cheap if you ask me…

JF

1 Like

JohnF: I was wondering how I would word that phrase. Obviously, you have twisted it.

It’s not cheap when guests pay for one bedroom and use two.

3 Likes

Twisted nothing, only repeated it. Your word(s), not mine.

JF

The longest stay I’ve had is five days but I don’t provide discounts until 7 days.

I might just leave it at the moment and see what business I have.

The idea of having a lock on the second bedroom is intriguing. That has two single beds while the main bedroom has a queen. So the only risk I have is a couple or very good friends coming in, paying for one but sleeping two.

JohnF: Here are a few of your past postings:

NATIONALISTIC SUPERIORITY COMPLEX: Bit late for that. Oh wait, you lot are a wee bit behind us cosmopolitan europeany types :wink: JF

USING THIS AIRBNB BLOG FOR PERSONAL FINANCIAL GAIN: Ah… so you’re looking for beta testers? I’m in. PM me and I’ll send you my PayPal, €50 per week should just about cover it. Thank you so much for this opportunity :slight_smile: JF

WHO GAVE YOU THE SELF-IMPOSED TITLE “MODERATOR”: I’m not host or guest, just a mediator. Here were the actual responses. What are your thoughts now? Well, my thoughts are that you aren’t a very good mediator. I’m with the guest - I’ve lost count of the times I’ve heard (not just on Airbnb) the “my phone got robbed/lost/broken/eaten by a three …

POMPOUS REPLY: What a load of crap. You came on here with a sob story asking how best to bump an upcoming booking because you had the chance to make more money. You didn’t get the wave of warm fuzzy sycophantic replies you were expecting therefore, in your eyes, the other posters in this thread are a horde of i…

ARROGANT REPLY: I’d rather stick pins in my eyes. Their coffee is soooo bad. But then again I’m probably biased as the coffee in the small cafe round the corner from me cost €1 and, to my palate, is perfect. Even my oldest daughter who is a bit of a brand fiend (Starbucks, Apple etc) agrees that their coffee is…

YES, YOU DO SOUND LIKE A PxxxK: Being totally honest, having been around online forums since day dot, I have made a total prick of myself on several occasions, but I have to say that (having also read your previous posts) you appear to have surpassed even me. I hope for your families sake that this is indeed only your online pers…

IN SUMMATION: Don’t throw stones if you live in a glass house.

1 Like

Wow Don, are you stalking me? I really have got under your skin, or maybe you’re just a bit creepy.

But guess what, I have a sense of humour and do you know what else, I can laugh at myself :slight_smile: tonight though, I’m laughing at you, loudly. I should actually send you a request for funds, not sure my keyboard will be the same after the mouthful of coffee I just sprayed over it while laughing!

I can give you a few other places I post on if you’d like to do more research on me, shallI PM them?

JF

@Don_Burns , oi!

You really don’t want to throw your weight around in such a way here. If you have so much time on your hands, you might want to look for more practical use for it.

1 Like

You would have to make it clear in your listing that you were charging by the bed then or people might be mad if they paid for an entire place but then a room was locked off. Our place sleeps 3; a queen bed in the bedroom, and a twin sized sofa-bed in the living room. We charge the same for up to 2 people, but charge an additional $10 for the third guest. It’s not much, and it’s true we get 2 friends sometimes that use both beds, but when there’s 3 they for sure will be using extra linens, water, etc., so it’s a tiny bit to recoup our costs while maybe discouraging the 3rd person. Seems to be working okay.

That is a valid point. Even if I charge for one bed I do say in my listing entire apartment is available. Then I would have to describe how for one person, the second bedroom is not available

And again: you advertise an entire 2 bedroom apartment and 2 bedrooms will have to be available to your guests. Especially on Airbnb.

Complaints will catch up with you and low ratings as well if you proceed to lock 1 bedroom off limits.

That is probably correct. I think at the moment I am going to leave it as it stands and see how business comes. It just makes the apartment much harder to manage

You can consider making two listings with the two calendars connected to prevent double bookings:

• Listing A, with one bedroom. People can choose the bedroom with a queen OR the bedroom with two single beds. Put a base price for one person, with a small extra $US 10 - 15 for the second person. Lock the other bedroom.
  • Listing B, with two bedrooms. Put in a base price for two persons, supposing they will use both bedrooms, with $US 10 - 15 for the third and fourth person.

Locking the other room is a good idea, but ONLY for listing A in the setup above. Like @AlexSJ said, locking off the second bedroom in listing B, will sooner or later get you into trouble and open you up for complaints.

The setup above also has other advantages: If people book Listing A, one bedroom with two single beds, you can try to sell them the two bedroom.

@JohnF Thanks for bringing some fun to the forum. I love all of your alter ego’s: the national superior one, the money digger, the moderator in you, the pompous one, the arrogant one and even when you’re a prick :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl::wink:. Any other alter ego’s?

2 Likes

Exactly. When I travel with my daughter I always book a two bed apartment, for two guests on Airbnb.

If at check in, a host asked us which bedroom we’re both sleeping in I (and she) would be extremely pissed. It would be tantamount to a “bait and switch”.

One of our apartments has one bedroom with two single beds and a sofa bed in the living room. If it’s booked for two guests and one of them uses the sofa bed then so what? Yes, it’s more washing and ironing, but hey ho. Happy customers. It’s usually snorers who end up on the sofa bed :slight_smile:

@GutHend just for you; as my internet is being extremely slow you can have the grumpy one - so bog off! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

JF

1 Like