Charging extra for hot tub

Me too. I always think of cabins as being in the woods and tending towards rustic or outdoorsy.

1 Like

We don’t charge extra for ours.

It’s about a 20 minute walk into town and the main beach from my place. Depending on whether the ocean is wild or calm and which way the wind is blowing, I can often hear the waves crashing at night. And I live next to a seasonal arroyo.

The coolest thing when I first moved here after my house was finished was realizing that I could hear the arroyo out of one bedroom window and the ocean out the other.

I rarely go to the main beach, though (I hardly go to the beach at all- I know that sounds weird, but residents often don’t partake of things visitors come specifically to an area to enjoy)- that beach is way too overrun with tourists for me. If I go to the beach, I drive to other beaches in the area that tourists don’t know about and where there is often no one else.

My guests have also enjoyed me taking them to those beaches, which they’d not be able to get to without a car or complicated directions.

1 Like

It’s made out of pine logs. It’s a log cabin. And red.

3 Likes

Here is the swim spa.

1 Like

Our winter electric bill is about $100-$150 more a month. It is set at 102 at all times although guests can change it. You have to make sure they keep the lid on when not in use. Of course in the summer it costs very little only to filter and shoot bubbles. I know $100-150 sounds like a lot, but compared to my bookings (booked almost every night) - it’s worth it.

2 Likes

@LisaCharlie Thanks for the explanation and pictures.

FYI: Years ago there was a tangential discussion on what the definition of ‘Villa’ the host referred to their listing as. There were multiple viewpoints, opinions, mostly determined by geography.

1 Like

I had the tub since I listed on Airbnb. My insurance is $2200 / year. My primary home (not Airbnb) is twice as big and insurance is $2400. So I figured it’s not too bad. The insurance required me to put up a sign about no diving and needing adult supervision.

It’s lovely, but when I think “cabin” I wouldn’t think of something that large. When people used to refer to log cabins, they were little one room dwellings.

It’s like when people say they are going to their cottage for the weekend. I picture some small cozy place, after all, they are probably going to be spending most of the time outdoors, then you find out their “cottage” has 6 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms and is far bigger than any house I’ve ever lived in.

I don’t have it categorized as cabin on Airbnb. But my listing url is TheDesertCabin. So if anyone searches for cabin it still pops up. It’s listed as a “luxury cabin” ha! Regarding swim spa, I make sure to show them the size. I use a pic off the manufacturers website.

2 Likes

That’s incredibly good. We pay more than that for a one bedroom apartment!

Try using Lloyds of London. They specialize in Airbnb.

Out in some parts of the west the environmental risks are very low. We won’t have your hurricanes or floods, tornadoes or mold. In the desert, no wildfire or earthquake. Down in Southwest, no blizzard. The only thing I hear of people really needing home insurance for is house fire, wind damage and every 5 years or so we’ll have bad hail storm.

2 Likes

They don’t; however many STR insurers ultimately pass the risk off to LoL syndicates.

JF

I do. :slight_smile: We’ve used them for years. Not just for our STRs.

I have no house insurance at all here in Mexico. I do live in a hurricane prone region, but I have a solid concrete house. It can’t blow away, it can’t catch fire. The roof is also concrete. The worst that could happen is that the clay roof tiles over part of my terrace, a 4 meter by 3 meter area, could blow off and break. Palm trees could blow down. But none of that would cost more to repair than one year’s insurance deductable.

The only thing that keeps me renewing my insurance is fear of house fire. I’ve done a good bit of work to mitigate the chances of a house fire like minimizing use of extension cords and changing to an induction cooktop. I could see canceling my policy in my old age if money were tight.

I don’t think I’d be able to sleep at night if I didn’t have proper STR insurance. Certainly, the properties themselves are covered by the usual home insurance but to not have STR insurance would bother me in the case of liability and threatened lawsuits - the US seeming to be so keen on suing for anything and everything.

1 Like

Liability for an injury is a bigger concern. Guest stumbles back drunk, faceplants on the concrete and sues you. They may or may not win, but the insurance companies have staff lawyers. The last time I hired a lawyer it was $450 an hour billed in 6 minute increments.

RR

2 Likes