Changes to Airbnb Review System

Hiya @jaquo, :wine_glass:

I have said this before many times, never assume those that are doing well are dumb, they just tend not to be. It only makes sense.

1 Like

Well, I can’t get to messages right now, so they are definitely playing with code. Poor guest… she is waiting for directions to my place.

1 Like

From my end it doesn’t appear that they have removed the overall rating, just that they are allowing guests to leave additional specific (private) comments for items like cleanliness, location, etc. And that on the listings page it now shows the breakdown of star ratings instead of the average.

My stats and superhost breakdown still look the same:

1 Like

This is how my screen looks.

I noticed the increased details too. I really paid attention because I just read this review which is kind of odd. Not a bad review, but I’m sure he dinged me for “overall experience” based on checkout. Look at what he says:

It was a nice apartment and we enjoyed it, however we wish we had windows facing the entrance of the building instead the other way round.

Leave Public Response
_ What Kwame loved about your listing: _
The location of the apartment is convenient in terms of transportation and access to New York City.

_ What Kwame thought you could improve about the experience: _
The check out time was a problem for us. The initial check out time was 11hrs but Maria allowed us extra 2hours so we left at 13hrs even though our flight to Accra(Ghana) was at 23hrs. Due to airline delay, we left at 3hrs the next day. We suggest that, bookings should at Airbnb should request for flight information, particularly departure, so that a more convenient check out time could be fixed for the guest. Am still exhausted! Hope you implement this suggestion. Thank you.

_ Amenities feedback: _
We would like to see washing machine, microwave oven & telephone handset.

1 Like

O. M. G. Go on back to Ghana, there, Kwame…don’t let the screen door hit ya on your way out…

3 Likes

If hosts could leave details about guests…based on a couple guests, I would put

"what you liked about :
“they stayed for just one night”.

Overall I’ve had good experiences with Airbnb but there are a couple who I’m glad they stayed for just one night.

There were also a couple who left strands of their black hair all over the tub and didn’t clean it, also there was popcorn on the floor (and I have a policy of no food in the rooms) and they had the gall to give me a 4 in cleanliness.

3 Likes

Ummmm… you want a 4pm checkout? Book the room for an additional night! This isn’t rocket science people.

[Yea, I am feeling snarky today.]

7 Likes

Yeah, Kwame was a trip. He mentioned on the first day “there is no microwave” and I said - yes, that is correct, there is no microwave. I have an extra one in my garage, would you like me to put it in the apartmetn for you? “Nope, it’s ok”.

But - fair enough point about checking with guests on their departure schedule well in advance. I actually did that with guests arriving next week, and they ended up booking an extra night to make sure they could stay longer. It’s sometimes easy to get info, sometimes like pulling teeth, so let’s see how it goes.

2 Likes

So good old Kwame was scheduled to leave at 23:00 (left at 3h:00 next day actually); check out is at 11:00. a 12-hour difference, and HE couldn’t do the math? Airbnb needs to interject an IQ minimum (what should they start with?) before one has the option to leave a review.

3 Likes

Yes, I have gotten comments on check out time, which is one of the 1st things they read in house rules, but choose to ignore because I’m very well reviewed and less expensive. “I really wanted to sleep til noon because I don’t have to be to the airport until 1pm”. I private messaged her back, I couldn’t resist, " I’m sorry I have to work too. I have to find the time to turn over the room somehow, perhaps next time you could book 2 nights."
Crickets…

1 Like

If people would just communicate. I had guests who had stayed for the weekend and the day of checkout messaged me about how they loved their stay, and were wondering if the next night was available as they still had 7 hours left in town and they’d love to book it so they could have a relaxing day. I was feeling generous and happy about their communication, so I sent them a “special offer” of 50% off. They were thrilled, I was super happy because it was my daughter’s birthday and I didn’t want to mess with cleaning the place and risk that if I didn’t I’d get an IB! If people were just polite with common sense, so many issues could be avoided.

3 Likes

I agree. Most hosts communicate well with their guests? Is everything okay? Is there anything you need? Everything is fine. No we don’t need anything. Until they leave their review. :grimacing:

At least he left most of the dumb-ass comments privately, but WTF? about the windows facing the wrong way?

What annoys me the most about the check out situation is that you gave him an extra 2 hours and not only was he an ungrateful little snot, he feels that it is YOUR responsibility to coordinate HIS plans.

My guests often don’t want to share their travel plans with me, even when I ask more than once, so it’s not my problem if they have to sit at the airport for hours. I work at home and rarely have back-to-back bookings so I am willing to be flexible if they ask nicely in advance, but lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

4 Likes

How do windows face the wrong way?? This is surreal to me!! Also, I generally have people checking in the next day, AS IF I’m going to say “Ya, just check out whenever.”

2 Likes

Precisely, it is the host’s responsibility to make sure HIS plan works to a minimum of discomfort for him. The epitome of selfishness. I would have fried him in my response.

2 Likes

and for the least cost, of course. Since he paid for three nights, he should, by right, get an additional 12 hrs.

1 Like

This cracks me up. But the sad thing is I know he is serious. I just allowed a late check out but it was only because the couple were sooooo nice and up front.

However, I did get the usual. … “Well our flight is this evening and I just don’t know what we are going to do for all those hours, we just don’t want to leave our luggage in the car and we just… and so we just wondered if it might be all possible to…?? It sure would be nice to have another day at the beach and a shower before our long flight… Etc.”

I always know what’s coming.

Normally I don’t get anything in return such as even an acknowledgement or a good review, but she left a glowing and wonderful review and knew better not to mention the late check out in the review…

So they book an overnight flight and they haven’t given a single thought about what they will do for the 12 hours preceding the flight? Sure…

2 Likes

If you stay in a hotel, you have to abide by their rules and leave, in some hotels I have stayed in your card stops working at the check out time and you are left in darkness in the room. I had a vomiting child once that’s how I know. Why do guests think you would be any different ? I suppose we are getting a flavour of weird and wonderful comments they collect on their comment cards over the decades, staff in hotels probably read them for entertainment over their break.

I hate over night flights and wouldn’t book one because I don’t like anything about schlepping my luggage all over town, I get anxious about what time to leave and I’m just done at that point. Plus the later the flight the more likely it’s going to be delayed. People’s expectations are so ridiculous sometimes.

I just had a lady here for a couple days and as she’s checking out is like “oh, I might need to stay tonight too, I just feel really comfortable here.” And I said “I’m sorry the room is booked, I would’ve loved to accommodate you one more night otherwise.” And she looks at me and says “oh I didn’t realize this place was so popular.” But when she checked in she told me she booked because my reviews were great and I was the first place to pop up on her list :smile:

2 Likes