Cat scratched guests car? Compensation

Hey all,
So I recently had an air bnb guest in November, and she had informed me that my cat scratched her vehicle. I took her word for it but the next day I saw a stray cat from the neighborhood on top of my car In the driveway. She recently informed me that she wanted a paint job to restore her car to its original state and is looking for some kind of compensation. I think that is so over the top it’s beyond me. Like a tiger couldn’t do enough damage to a car for a new paint job. I offered to pay for some detail work and considering there isn’t substantial evidence of it being my cat that scratched her car I think that’s completely fair. What do you guys think?

Thanks

So she is getting back to you now for an incident in November?

Sounds like she’s trying to scam you into paying for a paint job (or just for money that she says is for a paint job). She has car insurance to cover actual damage to her vehicle. Ask her what her insurance company said when she reported it to them and tell her you’ll be happy to talk to them about the claim.

2 Likes

No, an Airbnb stay doesn’t cover the car parked outside. Tell her to contact Airbnb. If and when she leaves a bad review that hopefully mentions the cat issue you can have it removed because that is irrelevant to her stay.

I hope it’s too late for that since this apparently occurred in November. Honestly, if reviews are already locked, then I would have to think hard about even responding to her at all.

1 Like

Oh, I missed that thanks. Yeah this whole idea should be a non starter. How does a guest prove that even happened at the Airbnb. Jeez.

1 Like

To clarify right after the incident she let me know but she was out of town for a month and wanted to settle things when she got back.

1 Like

Sounds like a scam. How can she prove your cat did it? Since when do cats have strong enough claws to scratch a car? I’d ignore her or tell her to call her insurance company. Insurance companies pay for vandalism which is what she’s accusing your cat of doing.

1 Like

Oh dear me, just ignore her. What on earth could this possibly have to go with you? I’m honestly baffled.

2 Likes

Ignore this person. She’s trying to scam you. No cat on this planet has claws sharp/strong enough to scratch the paint on a car.

2 Likes

For clarity, cats can scratch car paint but that’s irrelevant.

2 Likes

Does anyone know AirBnB policy for time limit of guests to request payment resolution. For hosts it’s 14 days or before your next guest checks in.

Don’t even respond. Or tell her to contact her insurance company or AirBnB. Then add “Not responsible for damage to cars parked in the driveway, patio, lawn, sidewalk, street…”

1 Like

Nope. I would not even entertain this person. She has no case with you or AirBnB.