Cancelled our "Plus" status

The biggest problem I had with the freezer wasn’t the food - there wasn’t any room in there for ice. (Not that I could find an ice cube tray, either, but…) She had this really cute cocktail station (shaker, jigger, bar spoon, strainer, (dirty) rocks glasses) set up - but no ice.

:woman_facepalming:

1 Like

We supply a nice cocktail shaker, strainer and lovely glasses - and ice. Which probably says more about me than it does about the guests! :cocktail: :tropical_drink: :wink:

3 Likes

LOL…same here! I just think that if you’re going to offer an amenity, you should do it well, or not at all.

In fact, I think that is at the root of any dissatisfaction I have with any particular Airbnb - I absolutely don’t mind basic (clean!), no-frills accommodations. But once you start adding in things, if they’re not done well, they tend to detract from the overall experience. It’s all about managing those expectations. If something is not mentioned in the listing or shown in a photo, I cannot fault the host. But if they supply something that’s broken, worn out, difficult to use, etc., that really bugs me.

6 Likes

I rent my basement as a separate-entry guest-suite, and throw out leftover food. Unless it is something I want for myself, like an open bottle of liquor!

I stock my medicine cabinet with toiletries such as tampons, acetaminophen, lotion, and dollar-store toothbrushes still sealed in the package. However, this thread has motivated me to improve presentation, since sometimes there are disheveled and half-used toothpaste is left behind and I should be more vigilant about tossing these out.

1 Like

I have dollar store type stuff in a drawer neatly laid out as much as anything so I can open the drawer and tell if something is gone at a glance. For soaps/shampoos that are used every day by each guest I decided to upgrade a little. So instead of dollar store Softsoap have a big glass bottle of hand soap that looks much fancier but I’m guessing that per oz, it’s about the same as the dollar store stuff. Same with step up in Shampoo and bath gel brands. I think there is a psychological effect of soap that seems fancy and stuff that seems dollar store. Same with providing bottles of water and a chocolate per person (for other hosts it might be snacks). I feel you can spend $10 more per month but get $50 worth of booking value either in better reviews or more bookings.

I don’t have leftover food but I do provide small jars of sugar and creamer to go with the instant coffee packets and the tea bags. It’s fresh for each guest because I think it’s less wasteful that individual wrapped servings. But if I guest doesn’t like it they don’t have to use it. It’s not listed as an amenity or described in the listing.

CeeBee seems to have booked the kind of host who overpromised and underdelivered instead of what we recommend here.

1 Like

I do wonder if overpromising and underdelivering will prove to be a trend with Plus. In my city’s host Facebook group, I’ve seen a range of very valid complaints about Plus. One host has a waterfront property, and this was hardly mentioned and was included deep in the listing photos. Another host has a peakaboo view of the water during winter, when the leaves are down, and the listing was advertised as being on the water. A third host had guests complain they didn’t know there were stairs because the accessibility information disappeared and the stairs weren’t included in the photos or mentioned in the copy. I see why hosts are opting-out and AirBnB is waving the $149 to get people to enroll in the program.

3 Likes

People complaining that they have no control over copy or pictures, or only getting control after going to great lengths would have me out. It probably would work better for the Airbnb investors who don’t live in the home, have professional cleaners, etc.

@CeeBee I would agree with your assessment; You should have experienced better, especially with the expectations of PLUS, and also with the knowledge that she would be hosting another host. I hope that it was a result of the hospital stay and not standard approach.

Your experience makes me wonder how ABNB+ is going to track / measure their new product, and if/how they remove PLUS hosts for not measuring up.

I too am in Phoenix, and I’ve begun assessing the value of being PLUS. I think the only way to evaluate it will be year to year comparisons in revenue and bookings. I’m at the higher priced portion of the Phoenix market so I’m evaluating if PLUS will allow me to increase rates a little more during the February - April months when Phoenix is in demand, and if it will provide more traffic in quieter months.

For right now, the benefit, in a crowded market, is positioning my listing higher in viewing queue. I’d also like to think that it gives me more credibility with those familiar with staying at hotels, which is the market I look at as my primary competition.

Current ABNB+ Observations:

1. There is no additional support or help desk for PLUS hosts. I don’t know what Support / Perks guests experience if anything different.

2. They are now allowing non professional photographs to be used to offset aspects that might be missing, as long as the photographs are approved by the Plus team

3. It’s still a cumbersome process and takes a long to time to get a reply to requests around pictures.

I did host my first ABNB Host (SuperHost status) last month. Despite what I’ve learned on this forum (that ABNB Hosts are never judgmental :wink: ) I’ll admit hosting a host made me a little nervous. He had made the booking before I had the PLUS designation so I’m not even sure if he knew but during checkin, his wife did rib him that he needed to step up his own game. I was relieved and grateful for his very kind review which made me feel like I can justify the PLUS designation.

Amazing place and even better host. He is so on top of his hosting game it is unreal. His place is better than any 5 star hotel. They even have robes! I was so impressed. You have to stay here! Otherwise I can guarantee you are missing out.

I’d like to think that is what guests would say for staying in ABNB+

4 Likes

Nice review! :+1: 202020

What a great review!

BTW, I’ve considered robes because I see them recommended in hospitality articles. How do you know if they’ve been used and are in need of a wash? Maybe it’s obvious!

I tie mine in a particular way - I know if they have been touched. Slightest suspicion, they gone in with the towels.

3 Likes

Regarding the robes; a few guests suggested them so I added a set I purchased on Amazon. They arrived in large “ziplock type” bags so after laundering them I fold them and place them back in the bags along with a printed out version of what is attached. I figured that keeping them in the bags gives the guests reassurance that they have not been used by prior guests, and also alerts me of whether they have been used.

2 Likes

My take is, that until reviews will be anonymous, there will always be something to keep you from being totally honest on both sides.

I hope not. I might be being naive, but I’m honest in reviews and I’m sure that there are other members here who are too.

1 Like

That is very nice and noble Jaquo, continue doing what you know best.
I have to be honest here, i don’t even leave reviews for bad guests anymore, as to not prompt them to leave me any if they are being quiet. A lot of hosts host them anyway, maybe my trash is your treasure! Don’t blame me, blame the system!
There are a few reasons why i leave generic good reviews for not so bad, or bordering bad guests, who’s money i would still take on a future visit:
Guests from same city, can send over their friend to rate me bad to get back, or who knows what else. Not worth it!
Return guests : can you say awkward!
Vindictive guest: we know this type.
Guests that are not totally bad, but i would like to warn hosts about, but then it doesn’t worth it to eliminate return business, or by word of mouth.
Future guests seeing my critical reviews and skipping me, i would eliminate those who care, while those who don’t care don’t read anyway.
Future guests feeling i expose too much, privacy reasons, etc.
Guest having been left with a sour taste about the experience because of my review, and consecutively rate future hosts critically also, or drop the service.
Nice family whose inconsiderate husband smokes in the bathroom before checking out: should i flame the wife’s account, when i could see the efforts the poor wife did to leave my place in order and nice? No.
There are a lot of reasons, that being verified, but anonymous reviews would eliminate, or even a system of private reviews, only for future hosts.
Guest would be more honest also, if they had a chance to be anonymous. This system of always five stars or else, leaves a toll on everyone, and guests don’t want to be that person either if their names and face is attached to it.

1 Like

Ha, I don’t think it’s a case of being noble. But I wonder how the system will survive if guests and hosts leave generic reviews. And I agree that in the case of bland, untruthful reviews, there is absolutely no point. But I don’t think that means that we should just shrug our shoulders and give up.

Personally, and I realise you feel differently, I feel that I should let my fellow hosts know the truth about people who are requesting to stay with them. I also prefer them to do me the same favour.

This does not mean that I wouldn’t host people if a host has one or two negative things to say about a guest, it means that I am prepared for that problem and can address it before it starts. However, that system too will only work with active hosts and not the ‘landlord’ type who have no interaction with their guests either personally or via their co-host.

Yes, I will. I’ve been doing this for too long to change now. But I do hope that about new or potential hosts reading your comments will realise that there is another side to the coin. You write about vindictive guests, amongst other ‘undesirables’ and give the impression that hosting is some sort of battle between guest and host. It isn’t, believe me.

2 Likes

Me too. This works. Guests love them! I cheer/cringe at the same time when I see they have been used. Just because of the huge laundry aspect. They are heavy and take a LONG time to dry. It’s worth it though IMO.

1 Like