Cancelled on by host

Its fine, we lost a few houses at the edge of town and two in mountain center. 6 total. Evacuations are supposed to end today, we are in a Hilton in San Diego headed to beach today will go home tomorrow and avoid the rush/traffic headed up. Idyllwild will be having a big party in the coming week, likely at our summer concert on Thursday to celebrate and appreciate the firefighters and just hug each other)

RR

1 Like

Wow, for all our complaining on how Air cares more about the guest, your experience is wild, and disappointing. I’m so sorry about the wildfires and the impact to you and so many others :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

UPDATE After a full week of mostly being ignored, then finally getting some attention Air is reimbursing me $325 for my hotel and gas

Edited to add, I got a link for AirBnb love gift, I chose wool socks.

RR

5 Likes

I live right on the border with Mexico and Airbnb shows guests listings in Mexico all the time. I’m sorry this happened but happy that it worked out. That’s why when I look for an Airbnb I look for SH, lots of reviews and all 5 stars. I know that’s no guarantee, I imagine you did the same, but I want to try to maximize my chances. I also don’t like rentals where the host is not actively managing and I prefer that they are on site.

It’s fascinating, in a bad way, to see how little airbnb cares about guests.

1 Like

I would have received nothing had I not been persistent. Air was very happy to ignore me.

RR

Delivered by carrier pigeon

Good news indeed. I am glad for you and hope you had a brilliant day with your daughters at the beach, despite all the worry about fires.

Thank you, we had a great beach day on Sunday came home on Monday and glad to be here:)

RR

So here is my stealth review to post on Saturday… Feedback and suggestions welcomed.

We had been evacuated due to fires and wanted to get to the coast to cool off and give the kids a few days at the beach. I was happy to find the apartment, everything looked good so I booked it for 3 days. I was driving from LA and with traffic and lunch it was almost a 6 hour trip. When we were stopped for lunch I received a call from a co-host and was told there was a 5 day minimum for this booking and he tried to pressure me into booking two more days. I explained to him that I could not commit to another two days, that I had been evacuated because of fires and was unsure when I would be allowed to return. I was told he would check with the owners and see if he could get it approved. I answered what do you mean get approved? I have a confirmed booking AND I booked at 8:11 this morning surely you could have called earlier. At that point I called AirBnb and they assured me I had a valid reservation and they would let the host know they had to honor it. When I was less than 1/2 hour away from checking in the reservation was cancelled by the host. I was forced to go find a place with wifi and try and find a place to stay. Everything we had looked at earlier was now booked, including hotels. We had to drive 2 hours to Temecula to get a hotel that night. This was the most miserable experience imaginable I would suggest you avoid this host and find another place to stay.

2 Likes

I would try to make it shorter…as we know people don’t like to read.

Things like “getting to coast to cool off,” how many hours it takes to drive there, your lunch, should be left out. The important thing is that this airbnb is mismanaged by a crappy co-host or manager who doesn’t have authority to make decisions and doesn’t honor confirmed reservations. Leave out “suggest” at the end. This is an unconditional recommendation that this host never get another booking again!

2 Likes

[quote=“RiverRockRetreat, post:34, topic:24511”]
We had been evacuated due to fires and I was happy to find the apartment, everything looked good so I booked it for 3 days. I was driving from LA and I received a call from a co-host and was told there was a 5 day minimum for this booking and he tried to pressure me into booking two more days. I explained to him that I could not commit to another two days. I was told he would check with the owners and see if he could get it approved. I answered what do you mean get approved? I have a confirmed booking AND I booked at 8:11 this morning surely you could have called earlier. At that point I called AirBnb and they assured me I had a valid reservation and they would let the host know they had to honor it. When I was less than 1/2 hour away from checking in the reservation was cancelled by the host. I was forced to go find a place with wifi and try and find a place to stay. Everything we had looked at earlier was now booked, including hotels. We had to drive 2 hours to Temecula to get a hotel that night. This was the most miserable experience imaginable I would avoid this host and find another place to stay.

@Karma4K9KarmaCasa hows this? Still too long?

RR

It could still be a bit shorter. Think of how much scrolling it will take on the app. You’ll only be visible a short time anyway.

is there more than one? I’d say THE co-host because if its always the same one (maybe name the co-host so if the owner changes co-hosts there is no confusion?) they shouldn’t think they can fool another guest.

When we were 20 minutes away my reservation was cancelled and I was left with few options for places to stay as everything for miles was now booked, hotels and Airbnbs alike. The closest place was another 2 hours back to Temecula. This was a miserable experience and I cannot recommend this host.

1 Like

[quote=“RiverRockRetreat, post:36, topic:24511”]
We had been evacuated due to fires and I was happy to find the apartment, everything looked good so I booked it for 3 days. I was driving from LA and I received a call from the co-host and was told there was a 5 day minimum for this booking and he tried to pressure me into booking two more days. I explained to him that I could not commit to another two days. I was told he would check with the owners and see if he could get it approved. I answered what do you mean get approved? I have a confirmed booking AND I booked at 8:11 this morning surely you could have called earlier. At that point I called AirBnb and they assured me I had a valid reservation and they would let the host know they had to honor it.
When we were 20 minutes away my reservation was cancelled and I was left with few options for places to stay as everything for miles was now booked, hotels and Airbnbs alike. The closest place was another 2 hours back to Temecula. This was a miserable experience and I cannot recommend this host.

@Karma4K9KarmaCasa there were two co-host listed. I changed it anyway what do you think?

I found that I can do the review now and save, so I will set an alarm for Saturday 2 minutes before times up. I know they are not reviewing me as not to prompt this review from me and I cannot imagine how I could get a poor guest review having been cancelled on but I am not going to risk it

RR

1 Like

@cabinhost the Air rep told me they were penalized with 100 fine and the automatic host cancelled review, no super ho for a year.

they cancelled a $1800 booking out of spite, the calendar was blocked as well.

RR

1 Like

Any idea if they list on other sites. They probably cancelled thinking they would get a better booking on another platform.

The co host was a big property management company in San Diego they have direct bookings and on multiple platforms so they must have figured it would re-book And considering I could not find anything they probably did re book

RR

1 Like

Air has been prompting me for a review since the day after it was cancelled.

RR

2 Likes

Well I have no idea, I have the review done and saved I just need to go back and publish it at the correct time.

RR

I just went to the host profile and the listing is not there anymore, and her other listings have a different co host.

I bet my review will never be seen, she is gaming the system using different co host listing and unlisting properties.

We shall see.

RR

2 Likes

It’s hard for the single guest to really have much effect on the commercial investor host. One reason why I avoid those kinds of listings. I’m a one home, one host kind of Airbnb guest. I’ve never had to book in a desperate situation like the one you were in however; that’s a whole different thing.

Ya, I would have preferred to have made plans well in advance and found a better host but I was under pressure. At least I was finally comped the hotel and gas from Air, they put the money right in my account just like the rents:) That took a lot of persistence. I will update once I hit send on that review and see if it can be found after.

RR