Cancellation vs. letting the reservation run

I wouldn’t count on the discount being removed. And since they stayed they will be able to review. Stays are shortened for many reasons, and often amicably. I had a stay shortened and they were lovely and left a great review and I would love them back. It just stinks when (in your case) it’s a horrible guest and you’re booting them and they can still review even though they’re bad guests.

I would have your honest review written and ready to go. If they review you, send it so you can see theirs. If they don’t review, be prepared to post yours at the last minute. One thought though, reviews post in the order of stay, not the order of reviewing (so if a guest waits 13 days to post a review, if you have 3 people stay after them but review before, the review from the 13 day wait guest will be buried) it may be worth it to wait to review until the last minute.

UNLESS: does someone know if guest reviews are visible to others even though I can’t see them since I haven’t reviewed yet? @smartbnb.io, do you know?

No. Reviews are absolutely double-blind until both parties have submitted their review, or the reviews “expire” (14 days after their creation on Airbnb servers).

I too knew this was going to happen but held my tongue as I hate always being the cynical one. And yes you’re right it automatically escalates…

I will be amazed if air don’t refund but I wait with bated breath.

1 Like

@Sarah_Warren

Thanks for the reply. Are you sure we will be able to leave reviews? She cancelled the whole reservation and it disappeared from my calendar. I also have not been prompted to review her and there’s no link to do so.

Also, as I mentioned, another host on the Air forum cited cancellation as a loophole.

You might have lucked out! (FInally! Hahah) but normally if they stay or even check in, they can review. That happened to Zandra. The guest checked in, hated it, canceled, and left a bad review! Do I have that correct, Zandra?

2 Likes

You have it correct @konacoconutz. But not before requesting a refund (for a supposed misrepresentation on my listing) which I denied. It was automatically escalated to Airbnb … luckily they sided with me but they let the ridiculous review stand.

Can anyone explain how a guest is allowed to write a crappy review claiming the listing is inaccurate (and Airbnb say yes well that’s their experience) but they can’t get a refund (no say Airbnb the description was accurate…)

Hoping you’re lucky on the review … if it’s not showing you may at least be getting something going your way !

Suite… the reservation is gone from your calendar, but,not.from your life😩… check your reservation list and you will see it there with the cancellation status on it.

I’m sorry that was permitted,because that’s just wrong. Sounds like a broken process to me. Did you appeal that?

How far away do the guests live and how far is the address of the clinic on the receipt?

How many nights are they trying to get out of paying? Was this a receipt that was shown to you as evidence or did the guest just say she submitted a receipt?

Without publically stating any person details did they try to explain to you what happened to the brother and come up with reasons for needing to go see him? Just curious because I know many many families aren’t going to cut a trip short because a family member had to visit the emergency room. Maybe if this was life threatening but yeah seems to be way too much of a coincidence.

They cancelled the reservation and said “believe it or not” we need to leave because brother is in the ER. She provided a photo of the receipt through the resolution center. It’s an urgent care clinic. After I declined the first time, she also sent a photo of the return plane ticket. There is prior messaging that they intended to cut their trip short and return to the city on the ticket, so the ticket for me didn’t support extenuating circumstances.

1 Like

I tried several times and got shut down each time I tried to point out it was nonsensical.

Have you heard from Air yet? It may take a couple of days before your get the dreaded… “I hope this email finds you well” email with the bad news attached.

Nothing yet, but I will make a post as soon as I hear. Does one also receive an email from Air if the guest is not refunded? That would be nice to know, too.

Yes, they should get back to you with their decision one way or the other. They won’t leave the matter hanging.

Would you believe I still have not heard from Air? I’ve also checked recent payouts to see if any amount was deducted, and no deductions. Is Air really behind on their workload, or have they declined the guest’s request and not closed the loop with me? I’m still awaiting the resolution.

I think your decline then gets sent to the guest with a question: " Would you like Air to mediate?" Maybe they decided to let the matter drop. Let’s hope so!

1 Like

We had a version of this happen… Guest booked, wanted to bring X amount of people over, I said HELL TO THE NO, and they canceled. Then they send a request for the 50% they were not refunded per my policy, I declined, ABB sent me an email saying ‘I’m well within my rights’ to not refund, but in the spirit of the ‘sharing community’ a small gesture would be nice. My choice was to respond to the email, or not respond and the guest would only receive the refund per my policy. I responded and politely declined to offer a ‘gesture in line with the sharing community’

My guess is if you do nothing, your cancellation policy will trump any request.

2 Likes

@azreala, we have a different circumstance here where, when all other attempts failed, the guest produced an emergency clinic receipt she said was for her brother and this is the reason she and her mother could not stay the final night. She twice asked me to refund and I twice declined. I think Kona is right that the guest may not have asked Air to mediate after I declined. That would be fantastic if that’s what happened.

Also, I want to add that I was never given an opportunity to review the guest even though she stayed 2 or 3 of 4 nights (can’t remember exactly). I don’t know if this is because there was an open case of sorts. Not sure. But most posters thought that I would have the opportunity to review the guest even though her whole stay vanished off my calendar when she cancelled. So, there’s another bit of info!

1 Like

If the guests canceled neither parties will be able to review. This has been our experience over the last 6 months

1 Like