This was a first for me. We received a request several weeks ago from someone who wanted to book a discreet, private weekend visit to our farm with a companion. They didn’t want to use a credit card, or book through Airbnb and wanted to pay cash upon arrival. I said no way, and insisted the guest use Airbnb, or VRBO if they were uncomfortable with all the verification. (the guests found us and looked us up to contact us via our website).
Eventually the guest had his companion register on Air and push through the reservation which I gladly accepted. The reservation is for the second weekend of August, but I received an email from the original person who had been emailing me saying that there was a death in his traveling companions family and they won’t be able to make it. He asked that I personally cancel the reservation because he can’t fathom asking his companion to do so because of the family death, and that they didn’t want to pay the 50% due to the moderate cancellation policy.
I said I was willing to refund in full of course, however, I was not willing to cancel the reservation myself and that it must be done from within the companions account or by speaking with Airbnb. I asked that it be done immediately so that I can re-book the weekend.
I never heard anything back in response, so I called Air today and they said that they will try to reach out to the guest and push the cancellation through, and that it wouldn’t hurt my metrics, but that they would need to speak with the account holder first.
What happens if they can’t reach her? I will not be able to refund them if I cannot have at least 2 weeks to find another guest. I feel bad of course, but I can’t lose an entire summer weekend.