Cancellation by Clever Guest

They’re keeping this loophole as a punishment for hosts that choose strict cancellation. :roll_eyes:

I think this means couldn’t care less? Just in case of confusion…

I was curious about the difference. Both are right. Is It 'Could' or 'Couldn't Care Less'? | Merriam-Webster

1 Like

As the article says, it has become acceptable in the USA due to usage. Rather like the ‘word’ ‘irregardless’ which is also now accepted into general USA usage.

But it’s important to be clear on the internet as we are read by a global audience. To say 'I could care less (as the article posted says) means just that - ‘I couldn’t care less because I do care somewhat.’

I think in Jefferson’s comment above, he meant that Airbnb couldn’t care less - in other words, they couldn’t care less because there is nothing less because they don’t care at all.

How horribly and boringly pedantic I am… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Ah indeed and appreciate the correction. Regardless that “could care less” is apparently acceptable use my intent was exactly as you indicated “could not care less”.
We like to keep our communication with guests PERSONAL, not some automated form letter that probably would get there. This allows more of a proper back-and-forth exchange to see if they have any particular needs/desires - or if they merely would appreciate some “touch” or merely recommendations for restaurants or whatever.

I thought so. And I envisaged some poor Norwegian or Peruvian trying to understand. I have too much imagination for my own good. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And then there’s flammable and inflammable :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I admit to being awful about this sort of thing. I yell at the TV or at podcasts to correct them. “Not fewer, less!” “Not bring, take!”

Never go out to dinner with me - I proofread the menus for grammatical or spelling errors.

It’s a curse. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

We’d get along really well on that front. I’m a real spelling and grammar nazi.

Have you noticed the rise in the use of the past tense instead of the past participle? Drives me mad. “I have wrote”, “I have went”, I have ran out of…". I’m even reading this in articles by supposed journalists.

2 Likes

I once “baaaaed” at a waiter because he kept calling us “yous” (ewes)

5 Likes

Aaarrggghh! YouTube is a nightmare. They all start with ‘hi guys’ which is annoying enough. But if it’s recipe, they don’t say ‘add the milk to the flour’ they say 'we’re going to go ahead and add the milk to the flour"… This ‘go ahead and’ thing drives me nuts.

I read a book review that said ‘the story really drug me in’.

And then there’s all the ‘where you at?’ thing and ‘a couple bananas’ (no ‘a couple of’) and ‘out the window’ (not ‘out of the window’).

I know I’m old and horrible and pedantic but I can’t stop - I need an intervention! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Well done!

I once had a bloke say ‘have a good one’ and I said ‘I have a wonderful one, thank you’. :rofl:

2 Likes

@jaquo and @muddy, you may be interested in the book on the power of punctuation: “Eats, Shoots & Leaves”. (Oops - was a colon right in that sentence? I guess I need a refresher…)

2 Likes

I have a copy and I love it! :slight_smile:

That makes visiting France “interesting” at times. We love it dearly but do expect to have your pronunciation corrected, and regularly, throughout the day, even sometimes by a “helpful stranger” who simply happens to be nearby.
At least we do try our best. Hopefully we will return this July (fingers crossed).

A woman from Calif. who had a vacation home across the street from me in Mexico and was a playwright and actress, wrote a play about 2 women sitting at an outdoor restaurant on the beach.

One of the scenes was about the beach vendors who try to get tourists to buy their wares. They know a smattering of salesman English, but their pronunciation is bad and they often think they are speaking politely when they aren’t.

So the scene concerned a vendor who approached them, all friendly, addressing them as “You ladies”. Except what he said was “Hey, Jew lady”. They then proceed to tell him they aren’t Jewish, nor ladies, which thoroughly confuses him.

4 Likes

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris had the tears rolling down my cheeks.

5 Likes

It’s only a loophole if a host falls for it.

I do not accept alterations for any reason.

1 Like

I loved that book. Read it a long time ago, I should read it again.

1 Like

Hotels can do this because they have 50-500 rooms to clean and can just clean what is available. If a host can do the same with multiple units then by all means try to compete with hotel flexibility.