Can you require vaccination

It is a serious and scary disease. However, I’m lucky in that I received my second vaccination two weeks ago and I feel more relaxed and safe now. I do understand about the variants and we’ll have to see how that goes. But for now, we are planning to open this fall when over 50% of people (we hope) are vaccinated. I would like to require a vaccination card from guests but if one complains to Airbnb, I’m pretty sure they won’t back me up and we may lose our Airbnb.

1 Like

@JohnF @Diamond54
I need 3 full hours to deep clean between guests during an ordinary time without virus. Now it will take about the same because I have always done a thorough job of it. In addition all the extra pillows, quilts, blankets, decorative fabric items, chenille wraps and throws are removed, per Air requirements. No more picture perfect bed, no half a dozen pillows to choose from and no cupboard filled with extra towels and bedding. Plush bathrobes in variety of sizes and colors are gone. Extra dishes, silverware, and table linens are packed away too. My guest suite is about 600 sq ft

2 Likes

I would love to be able to require a vaccination certificate/passport. We are over 70 and hosting in our home. We are both fully vaccinated. Until this is cleared up to my satisfaction I see no way to reopen. I firmly believe that in-home hosting should have different rules.

2 Likes

I read news today that Norwegian Cruise Lines are going to require vaccinations.

2 Likes

I still would not take a cruise, they will be the next vector for the new variants or the next new plague.

RR

3 Likes

You couldn’t pay me to get on a cruise ship, ever.

5 Likes

I’m with Muddy, cruises have never appealed to me. There are some that are narrowly focused with music artists for example that have a little appeal. Or perhaps cruising around Greek isles. I certainly wouldn’t take one soon.

I cheer any requirements like negative tests, quarantines or vaccines that are required anywhere by anyone. The anti-science people have made this longer and harder than it needs to be already and I’m fed up with them.

5 Likes

My husband and I have had marvelous cruises over the years. We haven’t cruised in three or four years but would love to again. If cruise lines required a negative test or proof of vaccine, we might consider it. Otherwise, doubtful.

But @Woody, in his superiority, would never have the bad luck to be in the 3%.

Privileged, selfish twit.

1 Like

@NordlingHouse

Best thing I saw on Twitter yesterday

4 Likes

Ah the wonders of the internet…instantly removes any semblance of manners and simultaneously increases one’s bravery…

“Survival of the fittest” isn’t really “luck” is it?

2 Likes

I have not required proof of vaccination but I have sent my “frequent flyers”, who are starting to travel again, a page of our new set-up. We host in our home and this eliminates our breakfast bar and most of our host/guest interaction. I’ve also raised the rates to adjust for the need to leave the room free between bookings. Sadly, I received a rather curt note from one of our favorite couples stating that they would be seeking accommodations elsewhere when they resume travel. If you have favorite, repeat guests, just be prepared to lose them if they don’t get vaccinated.

2 Likes

I used to fire computer clients on occasion.

If someone doesn’t want to observe protocols here, they’re welcome to book a non-existent room somewhere else. It appears that about 75% of local Air operators aren’t listing yet.

1 Like

This pandemic has really shown a lot of people’s true colors. Short term this would make me sad but in the long term I don’t want these kind of people in my life as they have made it clear what kind of selfish priorities they have.

5 Likes

I fired 2 upholstery clients. The first gave me a deadline, which I met. I had already gone over on my lunch hour, at her partner’s request, when she was out of town, to assist him in hanging the curtain rods, and he had left me waiting for 20 minutes, with no apology, while he unloaded some new mattresses from his truck.

When I called to say her curtains were done, she said the house construction wasn’t finished yet, and figured that meant she could just pick them up and pay for them whenever it suited her.

I said her construction schedule had nothing to do with getting paid for the work I had completed. When she came to pick them up and pay me, she said “I’d have more work for you if you were a little nicer”. To which I replied, “That’s okay, I would never work for you again.”

The other woman had me come over and measure up for some couch cushion covers, and give her an estimate (the travel time and measuring took an hour, then estimate takes me about an hour to work up- I don’t normally charge for this, as almost everyone follows through), then never followed through.

But every time I ran into her in town, she’d say she was almost ready for me to do them. This went on for 4 years. Then she finally called to say she was ready for me to start, but she had lost the estimate, so wanted me to come over and do the whole thing again.

I said she had taken up 2 hours of my time 4 years previous without offering me any compensation, and I really didn’t need her kind of business.

3 Likes

I’m still unclear about what we can and can’t require. We are reopening in August and just received a booking. I asked if they will have been vaccinated and got no reply. If they say “no” I’m not sure I can turn them down. But I’d kinda like to know.

Are hosts requiring guests to wear masks?

We have a shared space (bedroom in our home, though we don’t have kitchen privileges). We have both been vaccinated.

For shared space I might require masks even if the guest is vaccinated. Thing is, we have no idea what the state of the pandemic will be in August. Inside with vaccinated friends who are limiting their contacts with others I’m not wearing a mask. But if I had a guest who is going to indoor dining or other indoor events with strangers and then coming into my house I would want to keep distance, keep ventilated etc. The prime reason for this is that I can’t validate if someone had the vaccine or not.

2 Likes

I thought about this…
The answer will be one of the following:
1 truthful yes
2 truthful no

3fake yes so they can get what they want. Who cares about safety or host’s wishes

4 no with a lecture about Covid not deadly, personal freedom, nanotechnology, not proven, vaccine shedding (which is not a real thing; viral shedding is which is commonly how warts & herpes are shared), Fauci getting a royalty,…whatever ridiculous theory of the day.

I guess we must practice universal precautions and assume all guests are #3.

However to me Airbnb rules do not matter if I am uncomfortable/feel threatened (health or personal), I’m canceling and going to VRBO if needed

3 Likes

Lots of opinions being expressed here. Asking for proof of vaccination does not violate HIPPA laws. IF the requirement raises issues regarding discrimination for disability, or religious issues, then that would have to be asserted and the disability, or religious exception, would have to be verified with documentation if the regulations that apply to the work place are applicable here.

I am a host, I live in the house my units are attached to. I want to require proof of vaccination. Does AIRBNB have a policy about this or not? If it is allowable, How do I do that in my listing?

I also want to know the names and addresses of all guests… I know AIRBNB gathers that information… BUT I do not know HOW TO ACCESS IT? If I have 2 or 3 people in my apartment, I want to know their names and contact information. HOW do I get that to happen?