Can we just be nicer here?

I hate the idea that this forum will be an unwelcoming place.

I lurked for over a year before even registering…and then yet another year before making my first post because, as with most forums like this, I was worried about having the “clout” to post.

I had to word my post appropriately, got a bit of flack (but less than I got on the official Airbnb forums at the time, so that was something) but somehow finagled my way in. Got a ton of great help, some handholding too, and met some awesome people.

We are all in the same but different boats. We can choose to help or not. Let’s all be in this together.

17 Likes

I agree. I posted something apparently many found offensive and I was attacked! I was chastised, called names, you name it! Every rule broken and the site managers did nothing to stop it. Why have rules if they’re not followed?

3 Likes

I agree. There are a small number who like to get personal and kick someone when they’re down without even expressing an opinion about anything. It’s just bullying rather than debate. Also there is a passive aggressive trend of falsely accusing others of name calling, with zero evidence, in order to get their own way. Such individuals can be the most spiteful and really want to name call themselves.

2 Likes

I remember your post about your Indian guests and their seeming fascination with your toilets. It’s viewable by clicking on your profile. Let me be frank: when you complain about your guests in terms of their nationality - “what’s the deal with [fill in the blank]” you are opening yourself up to be called out on it by the folks in this very, very international forum. Posts like yours are often not “racist”, but they do come off as condescending and provincial, which was the position of the first few responses - and not by a mod, I may add. I would not come to an international forum and have my very first original thread be a topic of that nature.

My first weeks on the forum I saw a post complaining about Chinese people. I was shocked that it was not only posted, but allowed to stay up. But it is still there, as is your post complaining about your Indian guests and their fascination with your toilet and lack of reading. The mods let more stuff stay than delete, but be prepared to take your knocks when you complain about guests by their race.

5 Likes

There has been a lot of posting about being nice. People always want to be supported. However some things should not be supported. To give an example that’s not related to racism on the forum, there are hosts who post about cameras and their use.

Some hosts have cameras in their common area. One host talked about, in effect, playing a game of gotcha with guests based on camera footage. Another posted a clip of a guest being sneaky. Though that clip was taken outside there was still debate on if it should be posted.

Many hosts are going to post things here that should not be supported and that don’t reflect well on us as hosts.

And sometimes it’s not that they make us look bad but the consensus is not one of support. Another member posted about their fabric headboard a halogen light and drug use. No one supported the host. We don’t like the fabric headboard or the halogen light. Some snarky comments were made about drug users in the rental. But overall, despite the lack of support there were good suggestions.

I am very unhappy with the direction the forum has taken in the last few weeks since Konacoconutz left. But we’ve been through weird times before and this too shall pass.

6 Likes

“…Konacoconutz left.” :disappointed_relieved::sleepy::cry::cry:

4 Likes

Could not agree more… with the departure/witch hunt of one of the most active mods here, a lot of small things have slipped through the cracks, including her advice on almost every post to make people feel included.

9 Likes

left the forum ? the group? I thought she was wonderful.
why?

4 Likes

'Fraid you’ll have to ask the Powers-that-be…I don’t know the full story but I, for one, consider it an unfortunate end.

3 Likes

Well, i certainly got a taste for the people on this forum. I was called more than racist. It appears that some of the moderators are out there stirring the pot. You might like to go back to my post and see what the moderator said in reply. She read the hostility from others and did nothing to address it. She simply picked apart what I wrote and added more fuel to the fire. She should be kicked off as a moderator in my opinion.

2 Likes

Well said Cabinhost, getting to grips with the bullying and aggression from some posters here is long overdue - in my view.

2 Likes

There are two or three sides to the story and I’m not sure which is true. If I said what I think happened it would put more fuel on the fire.

4 Likes

Good one. I’m more of a Rage Against the Machine kind of gal… “I learned to burn that bridge and delete
Those who compete…at a level that’s obsolete” (Bombtrack)

thank you for sharing. Really too bad.

2 Likes

Thanks for the invitation. I went back and read the thread. People were questioning you and rightfully so for the reasons that Catskills stated above. The moderator in question was not unreasonable in dissecting the inconsistencies in your post.

I repeat: this is not a “host support group.” It’s not a designated “Safe space” for trolls and racists despite the efforts of some members to make it so. People will call you out on your posts. You are right, bullying and name calling should not be tolerated. But being told things you don’t want to hear isn’t de facto bullying. I agree that people need to do better in “attacking ideas not people.” But instead of ignoring and scrolling on or flagging as is advised in the forum guidelines people just respond in kind or take it as a personal insult.

If I say “your post sounds racist” and you say “I’m being insulted! I’m the least racist person you will ever meet!” Then we aren’t going to have a good time.

5 Likes

If they are the silent majority then you don’t know either. Trust me.

3 Likes

42 likes…wow.

And my dad can beat up your dad.

3 Likes

Can you feel the love tonight…

2 Likes

I’m sorry…but your comment did crack me up! :grin: …n’ everybody knows I like a good guffaw!

2 Likes

Oh lighten up, B-Bob. The phrase is funny because it is reminiscent of the past when school kids would say that on the playground. It’s certainly funnier than your second sentence.

2 Likes