Cameras inside your house?

Hello my fellow hosts with the most.
I’ve put security cameras around the outside entrance points the my property. I have one camera kind of left over and my wife said put it it covering the kitchen. There is also a shared bathroom which you would be seen walking to if I did this. I think it’s a bad idea. What if people do nudie runs to the bathroom in the night?
Thoughts?

Hi Flyboy, I would not put cameras inside. I get the point of cameras outside, to check who’s entering the property, and prevent any theft or unauthorized guests etc, but I think guests are entitled to privacy when inside the house. As a guest, I would not book a place that has a camera inside.

8 Likes

I think you’ll find Airbnb don’t allow cameras inside a listing. In any case, even the thought of doing so is utterly off the wall. How would you yourselves feel about such an invasion of your privacy?

2 Likes

Calm down
I don’t think its a good idea either.
I was just surprised my wife thought it was I wanted to get other people’s opinions

2 Likes

Totally agree. That’s what I said to her

1 Like

If you haven’t already, what about putting it in a position to record comings and goings on the driveway?

We don’t have a driveway. I just use it on the outside area somewhere. I just posted this to see what peoples reactions are. I wouldn’t put one inside the house and I was a bit shocked when my wife suggested it and her friend also seemed OK with it.

I am too, as others have also said. It is such a touchy subject. But aren’t they all? Extra camera isn’t a bad thing, to hold as a replacement. Lol

1 Like

They do allow them. You just need to be sure to follow their policy of disclosure

1 Like

If this were a shared rental I recommend putting it in your master bedroom facing the door. It alerts you if someone violates YOUR space and you have proof.

3 Likes

They are allowed if disclosed and there are hosts here who have them inside. Inside a home where the host lives is one thing. Inside a rental where the host isn’t present is another. I think cameras inside even in a kitchen or living area is creepy but if it’s in the host’s part of the house, I’d shrug. Any other case, no cameras inside. The only other placement inside I’d find acceptable would be inside the entry pointing outward so you could see someone coming and going through that door and nothing else.

2 Likes

I am considering setting up an honor closet with snacks and phone cords and stuff. I thought I would put a camera in the closet, so when a guest opens closet and takes an item its recorded, and the guests knows it so there is no BS about what someone uses from the closet. Keep em honest.

RR

2 Likes

And skinny, LOL! I personally don’t think I’d stay anywhere with a camera indoors. I’d like my host to have a small bit of trust in me.

2 Likes

Kind of makes it no longer an honor closest though. Lol.

5 Likes

“Honor bars” in hotels have sensors.

RR

I have phone cords in my rental and I’ve never replaced them. For years I had a single little USB adapter. Pencils, pens, candy, snacks…they only things that have departed are a pillow and two water bottles. Half the time my closet storing spare towels, sheets, blankets and more is unlocked and nothing is missing.

I would say raise your prices $3 a night and use the extra $$ to stock the supplies that will be taken and leave the cameras outside.

4 Likes

Even inside a closet, maybe so it only sees hands removing the items?

RR

I didn’t know those were called honor bars. I thought they were mini bars. And there we are taking the item to consume not to replace it when we are done borrowing it. But since you did mention snacks in your honor bar you could inventory after each Guest to replace the consumed items. If there was an honor jar for payment there as well (assuming you have a price list for each item) you can just send a resolution request for the difference if there is any. Just a thought.

We have several phone chargers, HDMI cables, binoculars, umbrellas, and a bunch of other stuff that could walk, but knock on wood, nothing has. At this point if something did I’d just replace it. I even have a baggie of quarters for the bus as they don’t give change to get folks started, and people always seem to leave bills to replace them if they use any. We do live just a building away and meet most of our guests in person. Not sure if that makes a difference.

1 Like

People are rightfully upset if something goes missing but seem to ignore things that are left. I think it evens out.

I agree with @Militaryhorsegal that it’s not an honor bar if it’s being monitored, sounds more like a convenience store. LOL.

2 Likes