Cameras inside your house?

I personally would not like being recorded. It’s an invasion of privacy.

I have cameras outside and recording and that fact is clearly stated in my listing on all platforms. For cameras inside - which I oppose in most circumstances - you should be familiar with your local laws, not just Airbnb’s guidelines. I don’t think the OP said what country they live in.

In Australia. Pretty sure a common area is fair game as long as they are listed. Regardless I won’t be putting them inside I think

1 Like

Except they’d open the door, see the camera and go “Honestly?”.

2 Likes

I just thought of another acceptable use for an inside camera. Inside the owners closet! That way if a guest breaks in it you have proof!

RR

1 Like

About the only time I could see having an indoor camera is in a multi-room shared house where the common areas operate more like a boarding house or hostel… in that case it’s similar to a hotel having security cameras in the lobby.

Before video doorbells were a thing I had a camera in my front hall that only showed people coming/going through the door. Since their suite is on the next floor it wasn’t a big privacy issue, but I still think outdoor cameras are preferable.

Personally I’d re-purpose the camera to a “non-guest” space - like Militaryhorsegal and RiverRock suggested - so you’d have evidence if someone breaks into a spot they’re not supposed to be.

4 Likes

I think there are many other smart security systems to safe guard the inner part of the house. Why are you only depending on cameras?

Smart devices are helpful hosting aids; I use the leak and temperature sensors to keep things comfortable. But if there’s a security issue, especially one that turns into a “he-said, she-said” situation, only video will be helpful.

A SmartHub’s log that the MBR door opened isn’t conclusive. Video of the actual guest breaking into your locked master bedroom is evidence.

4 Likes

I have something that looks like a camera but is not really, it is a part of a security system and can only be activated by an alarm company ( so I guess it is a camera) but not in the sense that I can “spy on my guests”. People and Airbnb have been freaking out to the extend I almost lost my right to host. This camera that I have is described every where and every one signs that they are aware of it before even booking, it does not cover "secretive areas like bedroom or bathroom but is aimed at doors and windows, but still. so NO DONT DO IT!

1 Like

Absolutely not! If I booked somewhere & there was a camera inside the house I’d worry about what was possibly being recorded.
If you have external cameras for security reasons then fine but to put one inside is an absolute infringement on someone’s privacy.

What about the ones in the hallways of hotels?

1 Like

Exactly it’s no different if it’s common area

1 Like

I love my Arlos on the exterior. When checking them last week one morning, I saw an unstable on his feet guest at 1 a.m. walk flat into the wall next to the front door. He staggered back a foot, then shifted left and entered the house.

I would never have cameras in the house. Its bad enough that I’ve had a few guests disable the Arlo when they discovered where the base station was. Its now well hidden.

1 Like

I was wondering this as I have the base station in plain view. Might have to move it also.