Calling homestay hosts - how to review this guest

I would describe her as inconsiderate. She did not care that she was wasting my time by not letting me know she would be late for her early check in. All the more important of course because who would think she would dream of being 2 hours late for a well paid nursing shift. I had visions of her having had a crash. She was treating me like an hotel.
I would also describe her as inconsiderate because she woke me up after midnight without a thought for me. All because she hadn’t been bothered to read or listen. Clueless, entitled and neurotic as well, but mainly inconsiderate and therefore ill mannered.

1 Like

It’s not a dresser in the US. Look at google images of “dresser” and you will see the item we refer to as a dresser.

So crucially, what would you call a dresser? As you can see, in England a dresser would not be found in a bedroom.

Is this reply to me? I’m in the US and I think we are on the same page as to what we call a dresser, lol, and it’s not what @Jess1 photo shows.
:slight_smile:

Yes…

Hmmm maybe I was not clear somewhere earlier. @jess1 and @KKC , I’m in the U.S. and this is what I call a dresser. It goes in the bedroom and frequently has a mirror centered and mounted above it, or attached to the dresser itself.

EDIT: Why is there a weird window over my screen shot? Oh well, you get the idea.
34%20PM

Let me know where I made made myself so confusing and I’ll edit!

So the UK images bring up images similar to the one I posted. The US images are of wide drawer units which we would call a sideboard probably. You would most likely not put one of those in a bedroom either.

1 Like

The internet (probably) brings up images associated with IP address. My the world wide web is so smart.

1 Like

Yep of course but then I got the .com ones which look like your image. Another case of divided by a common language.

1 Like

It’s like if you say here “I wore some new pants to work today and everyone complimented me on them.” In Britain you’d get looked at sideways because pants are underwear, skivvies, etc.

Different words for different birds.

3 Likes

There are lots of words like that. My friend went to the UK for exchange in high school. She told her host family that she needed to buy new thongs. They looked at her peculiarly. I think you call them flip flops over there. She was a bit embarrassed when she found out what it means in other parts of the world.

1 Like

st-ives-natural-oak-and-light-grey-painted-2%203-drawer-chest-57c9296090001_3ef4e423a78c2087d1c74ce0da9040af_420x420_1_245_245_245
A chest of drawers.

I would also call that a dresser. Anything that has drawers and goes into a bedroom is called a dresser in the US. I know that the taller kind can be called a chest of drawers, but I’ve never actually heard anyone use that term. I’ve only heard of them being called dressers- both the wide kind and the tall kind. And the ONLY place dressers go (in the US) is in the bedroom. :wink:

I would call that a large, elaborate nightstand, unless I’m mis-judging the scale. But I’m wrong a lot. I consider a chest of drawers to be much taller and larger, capacity wise. Similar to the capacity of a US “dresser”. Chest of drawers have same-ish capacity, but are much taller and more narrow than a dresser.

Tomato/Tomaaahto. Duvet/??? You get my meaning.
:zipper_mouth_face::grimacing:

That’s useful. So the guest might have been correct to call the chest of drawers a dresser in American English!
In England a tall, slim chest of drawers is called a ‘tallboy’. Nice name I think.
A nightstand is usually called a bedside cabinet (with a cupboard), bedside drawers (drawers) or bedside table (legs).