Calling homestay hosts - how to review this guest

Apparently this applies if you’re in the UK. In the US, a chest of drawers would be relatively tall piece of furniture with drawers stacked one on top of the other, usually there are 5 drawers. A dresser would be a shorter and wider piece, with usually 6 to 8 drawers, with 3 or 4 being stacked on one side and the other 3 or 4 next to them. Sometimes there’s a combination of drawers and doors. Both of these pieces of furniture go in the bedroom.

If you put something similar to a dresser in the dining room, it is called a side board. And sometimes there is a separate piece that can be placed on top of the side board (a hutch) where you’d put dishes and such on display.

4 Likes

In that case the piece of furniture in my guest room is a small chest of drawers both sides of the pond!

1 Like

Oh and then there’s a ‘dressing table’ which has drawers either side of a stool and a mirror on top, used for doing hair and makeup.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted one of those.

1 Like

Not sure if this is any consolation @Jess1, but I have to respectfully disagree with them that felt you were “getting worked up”. I didn’t see that at all. I saw concise answers to questions, without benefit of body language, facial expression of vocal tones. No need for anyone to take it so personally, in my opinion. I hope things work out for you. My husband was raised English so I understood everything you mentioned. ;o) Have a Wicked Awesome Day!

1 Like

Let me be the odd pea in the pod and bring Jess’s wrath on, but I think Jess1, you could have handled it better.

You intruded on the guest’s space and went into her room. You then proceeded to retrieve your set of keys - all the while knowing that your guest is already of the ‘paranoid’ type as you had the discussion about the bedroom lock.

She freaked when she returned to the room and finding out that her privacy was intruded upon. There is a line of thought of …‘With payment for a space comes an expectation of privacy’ and I am sure that Airbnb CS would side with her if she would claim a refund for the night.

Her subsequent texting …well you brought it on so you cannot really blame her for that. She was probably too scared to sleep in your house after seeing that the room was disturbed and it got her worked up.

2 Likes

Yes I think a dressing table is very romantic.

That’s interesting. However she had technically stolen my set of keys. I went in the room to retrieve a set of keys as she had undermined the safety and convenience of the whole family by taking something she was not entitled to. Actually I am very pleased there’s no lock on the bedroom door otherwise I would not have been able to retrieve my property. Normally I do not go into bedrooms. I think Airbnb would understand.
Locks on bedrooms doesn’t work for me in my context. She should categorically have checked she was getting a locked room before she booked - her feelings her responsibility. Her mentality is way too rough and clueless for me.

1 Like

Is there anything positive you can say about her?

1 Like

She is not dirty or noisy. However I am spoilt for guests like that, and the vast majority are also not clueless.

That will at least help soften the review.

I think for reasons of: disrespecting my time by not letting me know she was going to be late when she knew I had made special arrangements for her, and waking me up after midnight for a matter which had already been discussed at 5pm I would give her a thumbs down. She needs a hotel with a 24 hour front desk. She also needs a hotel because she wants a lock on her door. Not suitable for a homestay. Communication very poor.

2 Likes

Okay, but don’t you think you should balance the review to give people a more complete picture? I don’t mean give her a thumbs up. I’m just talking about the written aspect.

I can put at the end of the review she was quiet and tidy. Then she can be quiet and tidy in a hotel. I really don’t want her to waste other hosts time or wake them in the night.
A small matter she even texted me whilst I was in a restaurant with friends. She couldn’t work the shower. One knob for water, a second knob for temperature is all, go figure as they say across the pond. The lady needs staff and I am not paid nearly enough for the likes of her.

1 Like

I think the main problem with this guest is that from Jess’ description, she sounds entitled. I bet we cannot really get the whole picture of her behaviour from Jess’ description. You seem to be imagining a nice, although clueless, person, while Jess seem to describe her as neurotic and needy. I tend to side with host’s assessment usually. You cannot really say how irksome someone’s behaviour is without experiencing it first hand.

That being said, that is also important to remember when writing a review. I would go for a more balanced review because otherwise you could come off as a nitpicky host, @Jess1

2 Likes

It must be frustrating.

1 Like

This is funny! Obviously the link below are the US definitions of
EDIT: what you call
‘dresser’, of which there are clearly too many. I think they forgot “China Cabinet” in their list of synonyms.

In all seriousness @jess1 I would be thoroughly annoyed, as a homestay host (and I’m only 35 stays in, give or take):
Very poor communication IMO! 1-star! EDIT2 (one star on comm. not overall)
• Late check in for EARLY check in. Early check-ins seems to never pay off. (how hard is it so text/call/message “I’ll be late”)
• Booked a place that does not provide locking bedroom (if this is a priority for you, find a place that offers this! It’s very clear in Air listing…)
• Waking up host after midnight b/c you’re an idiot that can’t listen OR read, apparently.
Classic.

https://www.thekitchn.com/do-you-know-the-difference-between-a-buffet-sideboard-server-or-credenza-201394

1 Like

Thanks for the link, @yecatsr - for all these years I’ve thought that ‘credenza’ was American for ‘sideboard’.

1 Like

This is a dresser.

1 Like

If you say so, ha ha. I learn several things every day on this forum. Not in a million years would I call this a dresser! Maybe I will start! I would call this a hutch b/c china cabinets are more formal. I would not call it a credenza either…I need to read my own link that I posted.
:sunglasses:

3 Likes