But I Paid The Dog Fee

That’s the answer we usually get when we get dog owners who allows their dog ANYWHERE in the house. The last one had dog hairs on the table, inside the refrigerator, inside cupboards, and of course… dog was no the couch & slept in bed. Massive amount of hair everywhere.

We’re ok with animals but just because on paid an additional fee it doesn’t mean they can allow their pets to do as they wish.

How do you go about this when they tell you “but I paid the dog fee, what it’s for if not that?”.

Do you feel it right to charge someone and be quiet and let them do as they wish (assuming no breakage was done)?

How do you answer this? We’ve never charged a dog fee and still find that there’s very little extra work when we’ve had guests with pets. That’s because I wouldn’t know how to justify the pet fee. I’d be interested to know how you justify it?

1 Like

I don’t. I just say no pets.

3 Likes

I love animals and have five cats and a dog. However, on the rental property pets are not allowed. Being a pet owner I know how destructive pets can be. Perhaps you might want to change your house rules to no pets allowed.

1 Like

I don’t know the answer to your question, but this is what I do to avoid problems. I charge a flat, one time fee of $25 which is simply to place something of value on the situation. Some people take the idea of a “free ride” too far. Most people are very grateful for the reduced fee. I also send them a one page Pet Addendum that they must agree to, which details what I require prior to & during the visit, i.e. vaccinations required, must be on-leash when outdoors, no excessive hair or fluids on furniture, no excessive noise, etc. all of which I gleaned from comments on this forum. I provide comforters to put on the couches, and I provide a cleanup kit. I actually have a whole different set of comforters that I put on the beds if pets are coming. I talk with the guest about their plans, and warn them that they must be realistic about leaving their pet during their visit, taking the animal out regularly and cleaning up promptly. Communication has been the key. If people sound like they object to the items on the Pet Addendum, or sound as if they won’t be able to adhere, we tell them we won’t be able to accommodate them with their pet. I also state, in the Pet Addendum, that I will walk through the property, prior to checkout, to check for damage. When we actually meet the people and the pets, they are usually a little concerned that we are uptight about the pets. When they see that we love their pets and are looking to protect their experience as well as our property, everybody’s happy. [My answer as to how I justify the fee, besides the comment about people taking the idea of a “free ride” too far: Of course you have to deal with extra hair and, potentially, extra fluids of some sort or another. No, it isn’t dealt with in the regular routine. Yes, it does take extra time. Sometimes with a tweezers. We have one of the only places in the area that is large and pet friendly, near a pet friendly beach, so it is a huge draw. People are so grateful. We’ll see if it lasts.]

5 Likes

I tell them it’s the same with humans. Just because you paid the cleaning fee it doesn’t mean it’s OK to take sumps in the backyard and leave it there. It takes more time for us to clean after pets. Having our home 1,400 SF of open floor plan it takes more time and 80% of time time guest’s dogs shad like crazy.

I tried. It cost many bookings. For some reason, at least 30% of our guests ask to stay with pets.

Too many ask for pets. Saying no, sending them away.

This is a great idea. Setting up expectations. Do you feel that the Pet Addendum 'causing friction or some sort or actually helpful? Do they actually respect and follow it?

Its not worth the money. When you take the pets, you lose some other guests who might be allergic to pets.

No one has ever objected to the Pet Addendum at all. It has never caused even a blip. I got all of the ideas for the content from this forum. Everyone has respected it completely. It has almost made people a little bit worried that we would be super strict and they get a little paranoid, which is fine. It keeps them on their toes. I don’t know how to show it to you, or I would be happy to do that. I can share it if someone could tell me the best way, or I could send it to you and you could tailor it to your needs. Re: allergies, I thought of the allergy question, but the people who were allergic were so rare, and the pet people were constant, so I went with the pet people.

4 Likes

Thank you! That could help. I have no problem filtering the problematic ones who doesn’t want to take responsibility. Same here as far as allergies and pet owners. Everyone now own at least 1 or 2.

If you can’t copy / paste it here I can DM you. LMK what works best?

PET ADDENDUM

It is hereby agreed by and between _______(Hosts) and ____________(Guest) that host will allow guest to have the following described pet(s) and no others in the vacation home subject to the terms and conditions of the rental agreement and this addendum.

The permission granted herein shall be limited to certain pet(s) as described:

Type of Pet: Name:
Color: Weight:

Guest hereby agrees to comply the following:

1. Guest to pay additional pet fee in the amount of $25.00__ per pet. Pet fee will be charged separately through an external program.

2. All pets must be up-to-date on rabies vaccinations and all other vaccinations. Heartworm preventive is highly recommended.

3. All pets must be leashed at all times when outdoors. Guest acknowledges that as we abut a nature preserve there are wild animals roaming freely on the property, such as foxes, coyotes, raccoons, possums or deer that could tempt your animals to partake in the chase. Eagles and owls are known to soar above, as well, looking for smaller prey.

4. Guest is responsible for cleaning up any/all pet refuse promptly.

5. Pets are allowed on furniture with specific use of provided comforters. Any evidence of pets on furniture without comforters may incur extra cleaning fees (i.e. excessive fur, drool, body fluids, odor).

6. All pets are to be treated with a topical flea and tick repellent three (3) days prior to arrival. .

7. Pet must not cause damage to premises or furnishings. If damages are caused, the cost of the damage may be deducted from security deposit. Clean-up kit is provided. A final walkthrough of the apartment will be made prior to checkout.

8. Guest should prevent pets from producing excessive noise at a level that disturbs neighbors.

9. Please make arrangements to crate, feed and potty your pet as needed. Unattended pets must be crated/gated or secured in a room. Gates are provided. The safety and well-being of your pet is important to us. Please communicate with host about your plans if you will be away for an extended period!

10. Host assumes no responsibility for illness or injury that may incur to pets or humans while on the premises.
    The Guest shall be solely responsible for the pet while on the property.

Sign by initial: Date:

5 Likes

Tank you!! The one thing I’d change for sure is the payment outside Airbnb’s platform…

As you can see, it sounds official, but of course has no real legal backing. It is a lot of huffing and puffing without much actual clout, but they don’t know that.

2 Likes

Right. I keep trying to use that to collect it, but have not had success with it. I input it, but the guests cannot get it to work on their end, when they try to make the payment. That is what I have been trying to use. Update the itinerary, what do you mean? You mean add the charge to their total cost after they have paid?

1 Like

Why not using AB’s resolution center for this or just update the itinerary?

I have accepted pets my entire time on Airbnb, 600+ guests over 5 years. I have a pet fee which they pay either by using the resolution center or I submit a change request to the reservation. It’s more work but I’ve always eventually gotten the fee. The two times people questioned the fee they ended up not staying. It’s a small sample but I’d have to say people who question the fee might be best avoided/declined/canceled.

Pet owners know how their pets are and responsible owners won’t question reasonable fees. My fee is $15 per day per dog but I get mostly one night guests and I have a small room. If I had an entire house it would be at least $25 per day. I’d want to get enough to compensate for the extra cleaning. I might even say it’s $xxx deposit in advance in addition to the fee, refundable after check out. As an owner of two wonderful, non destructive but shedding dogs I’d gladly pay a $100 per dog refundable deposit in addition to $25 a day to take my dogs with me.

I don’t know how many total people have had dogs with them, probably over 100. Of those, two dogs have peed or pooped on the carpet. If they did so on the tile the owner could clean it and I’d never know. It has been absolutely worth it to allow people with dogs (or cats or bunnies).

3 Likes

That’s good!! Do you also ask your guests if it’s a service / disability dog?

No, they have to tell me and then of course I don’t charge them. I only had one couple who claimed they were “therapy dogs” or some such and I just said “okay, no charge.” That is not a fight worth having for me.

2 Likes