But I Paid The Dog Fee

Of course. I have many young people who say it’s emotional support dog. I’m pretty sure 50% it’s not the truth but I’m not going to ask for proof of any kind for that…

Thank you!

1 Like

@KKC I wonder what I am doing wrong, that my guests cannot seem to pay using the resolution center? I have tried to use it several times. The guests get frustrated. I have looked through the help section on Airbnb and called Airbnb about it. Did you ever have any problems when you started using it? I am in Virginia, United States.

1 Like

It’s really straight forward. I did have a few people though who didn’t get the requests in the resolution center. That’s why I do it only as an updated itinerary. A few dollars less but worth the hassle free process.

I see. So a “change request to the reservation” is what is meant by “updated itinerary”. I apologize for being obtuse. You submit an increased rate to Airbnb after the fact? I think I am just going to do a search in the forums for “change reservation request” and educate myself on this and maybe I can figure it out. I would like to be compliant. Thanks so much!

I mentioned in the House Rules pet fee is additional $ so it should be compliant.

Yes. It seems the only way to find it is to click on the link that is in the email Airbnb sends. There is no notice on link on the reservation, message thread etc. So I will send a message that says something like “I’ve sent the request for the pet fee via the resolution center. The easiest way to find it is to check your email. Airbnb will send a message with the link. Once you accept we are all set.” It made a huge difference once I started automatically telling them how to find it.

Some people accept right away and some don’t. I “require” it to be accepted before check in; that is, I tell them that’s what they have to do but in the few cases where they don’t Airbnb has always gotten the money or paid it to me.

The other thing that makes the resolution center annoying is that when people just pay half the bill at booking time you can’t use the resolution center so then I use “change reservation.” The downside is that charges fees on the pet fee part but that’s not my problem.

1 Like

KKC, I just initiated this with my next guest who says he doesn’t mind being my “guinea pig”. I went to reservations>change or cancel> and there is a place to change the price. I also rolled in my request for state and local taxes with the pet fee, as I usually ask for all of it together, anyway. I gave him the breakdown of what he was paying for and told him Air would probably take out their usual fees. When he got the message, the amount that he was give as the final total was $25 higher than my total. For example, the total of the fees I was going to end up charging (pet fees plus taxes) came to $200. I expected air to take their percentage out of that, so I expected to get less on my end, which is the case. However, I did not expect to learn that his message would say that he would be charged $225! Why do you supposed, if I increase the price by $200 to cover extra charges, Air increases it to the guest to $225. What am I missing? I told him to wait to approve it until I got clarification.

1 Like

The downside is that charges fees on the pet fee part but that’s not my problem.

Actually a small portion is being paid by you, you don’t get the full additional fee.

Because Air bumps the price for whatever you ask for. They charge more due to their “Service Fee” which is percentage based of what you ask for, not flat price.

1 Like

Yes but their fees are far more so it’s hurting them more than me. In my case, we are talking about literally a few cents because it’s usually a one night stay for one dog.

1 Like

Phooey. I can’t stand that Air charges them another $25 fee because of a rate adjustment. I’m having him reject that reservation change request and I’m trying out the resolution center. I usually don’t request the Pet Fee until the week before they come, anyway (when they’ve already “paid in full”), because people sometimes change their minds about bringing their pets or, such as in this case, one of the dogs passed away! GREAT, the Resolution Center request worked! This guest hung in there with me. Super! I got my taxes and my pet fee all taken care of and I’m compliant…woo hoo!!

2 Likes

I have some separate dog rules I send to guests. #6 says “if your dog sheds there is a dyson vacuum cleaner under the stair cupboard. Please use it to clean it up”. I don’t charge a pet fee but I do charge a $30 cleaning fee but it doesn’t cover dog hair. I also tell guests dogs are not allowed into the backyard where my chickens are.

1 Like

My pet fee is $65 per pet, but I usually give them a break on multiples. I split the fee with my cleaner and there is indeed more to clean with a pet, but my cleaner says, frankly, cleaning up after young kids is worse.

1 Like

Just side mentioning: I have a separate listing that is pet friendly, so I don’t have to turn down guests with dogs. I have rules and everyone seems happy to abide by them.

Instead of directing the guest to the link in the email from Airbnb I just send them the link and then they get it right in the message center. They click on it it and it takes them to the Resolution Center and they can accept it there. Done.

Http://Airbnb.com/Resolutions

I generally only do this day before or day if check-in also, in case of changes, and because if they haven’t fully paid I can’t submit it anyways. Of course I also prefer cash at check-in unless I won’t be able to be there or I think I may have a difficult or obnoxious guest that I want to have some kind of paper trail for. Then I prefer Zelle, ApplePay, Ca$hApp, or Venmo, in that order. I always let the guest choose and when they say they don’t care I ask for cash. Just did tonight as a matter of fact and it went super well.

Well, duh! Why didn’t I think of this? Perfect! This is why I remain active on the forum. I can always learn something else.

Spot on again. I’ve had good support from Airbnb on getting the money for pet fees and the single accident on the carpet last week. So there’s that. But cash is king. Just a few days ago I had guests who asked me about watching their dog while they were out for long days. (SGT Major Academy graduation and celebration). Given the back and forth and the fact that they are fellow hosts gave me a good feeling about saying (let’s just work it out when you get here.) So each of the two days I had their dog in my part of the house. He was zero trouble/work. Then around 9pm I’d put him in their room. The second night they messaged me about the payment and gave me $40 instead of the $30 I told them it would be. Effusive 5 star review within hours of their departure. Win-win.

1 Like

Definite helps guest pet parents being an on-site (or nearby) professional petcare provider in addition to Airbnb Host, doesn’t it?

I dont allow pets, period. If you do you’ll get into situations like this. What if they actually destroy something, like scratch your door, floor, or chew it, literally. Or pee on hardwood floor. No pet fee can replace a door and a few planks or pee stain.
This actually happened at my house, with a regular tenant. Hence… no pets. That’s why dog kennels were invented.
The problem here it’s not the pets, it’s their entitled owners!

1 Like

If damage would occur, a resolution ticket will be open same as “human” damage. I’m not worried about that. From the 100 dogs we had so far, never such damage - this special talent is kept for humans only :wink:

2 Likes

It’s probably best to make sure it’s covered under your STR insurance. Pet damage isn’t covered by the host guarantee.

https://www.airbnb.com/guarantee

2 Likes