Business seems to have fell after summer

@JJD
@muddy

…and, technically, “individuals whom that affects” ?

Wrong. Who is correct in that sentence. I hear whom used incorrectly all the time as well.

2 Likes

I found the listing yesterday but didn’t mention it. Now I’m wondering why a professionally decorated condo has an abundance of nude statues & a stripper pole in pic 74. Oh well to each his own

7 Likes

As an English person, I’m not going to comment.

:rofl:

2 Likes

Did you see the “dancer pole” in the Brooklyn listing?:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

When I saw the listing I thought it appeals mostly to men wanting bachelor parties, not family friendly at all. To be honest, I don’t think it would appeal to couples wishing a romantic getaway either.

4 Likes

Men with poor taste.

6 Likes

Finally got round to having a wee peek at your STR empire.

I agree with you, not many folks will have seen what you are offering, although it’s probably not for the reasons you think.

Fella, you have managed to out tacky an Istanbul house of ill repute (see what I did there :wink:), and that is no mean feat.

I was wondering, do you have those little bowls of condoms strategically placed, and do you list them as an amenity?

Anyway, it’s fairly obvious folks vote with their feet, so to speak, the last time I came across calenders with so much availability across multiple units was when first opened our doors.

That, along with your review count, suggests you may not have been quite as busy you suggested :joy: as I don’t see you on BDC or VRBO.

Just as I was reminiscing about the various Istanbul pleasure palaces I had visited (for work purposes!), we picked up another direct returner for October.

My Oloroso supply is now guaranteed until at least February.

@RiverRock :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

JF

7 Likes

65%? I see much less. As he says, business seems to ‘have fell’…

1 Like

No, we are 65% for October!

JF

2 Likes

OMG. I haven’t seen lights like those since 1973. OMG.

Shared home listings especially have dropped. Entire homes are still booked solid. I spoke to an entire home host last night and they’re very happy.

Yup. Yuppity Yup.

Plus, the listing looks dirty. The outside deck needs to be power washed and the drapes sweeping the floor made me cringe. Ugh. Ugh. >wanders off to wash out eyes<

2 Likes

Yes, I agree that summer season ending & folks getting back to work and school has a big impact on STRs. I see it every year. Then come the wise folks who want to avoid the crowds & enjoy the sights, sans loud kids & obnoxious parents. This is my favorite time of year to host. Btw, thought I was the only grammar cop left in the world! :joy:

1 Like

Thank you for setting the record straight on what is welcome on this board! The lack of anti-vax BS is why i return, & respect the information I gain from other hosts.

5 Likes

I had to google the listing myself, after seeing how badly they were slammed by other hosts. I was MORTIFIED to see an ash tray prominently shown in a few of the pics- it was like I was watching an episode of Mad Men!
That said, I was not surprised to see that smoking is allowed. But the icing on the cake was the response to the scathing review that mentioned the smoke smell permeating everything in the place. I suppose it’s ok that “most guests smoke marijuana” :joy::joy::joy:
This host should be banned by Air!

I am also in Florida and have not seen a drop in business. However we do get lots of cancellations due to Covid, but then are lucky enough to rebook.

My rentals tend to attract older couples or families with kids, so I don’t think we are at all looking at the same type of guests. Maybe the younger singles and new couples crowd aren’t looking at Florida right now?

Also I noticed your reviews mention smoking, but your listing says it’s non-smoking. You might consider just going for the smoking crowd, since your listing looks like it might be a better fit.

2 Likes

Just as there are listings which allow pets or children, there are listings that allow smoking. Isn’t this good thing, that smokers can find listings that work for them so they don’t book non-smoking listings and smoke anyway?

And if a guest books a listing which allows smoking, they have no right to complain about it smelling like smoke, anymore than a guest has a right to complain that the host lives upstairs if it is advertised as such.

I allow outdoor smoking and none of my guests have smoked inside. There is a table and chair out in the balcony with an ashtray and while I don’t have that in my photos now, I may very well do so in the future when I update my listing.

Ditto for the patio at my rental. The door to the patio has a sign “Smoking on Patio allowed”

The refrigerator has a “No smoking inside” sign.

2 Likes

This is what I thought of when I read that. :joy: I don’t want guests smoking inside my refrigerator either.

We allow smoking outside too, we have a large yard with tables and chairs and leave an ashtray out there. We haven’t had any issue with anyone smoking inside. A few times we have run into someone smoking out by the trash bins and had to encourage them to go sit comfortably in the yard. I guess smokers are used to be pushed into alleys or something.

@muddy and @Annet3176 and anyone else who allows smoking outside, do you have the “smoking allowed” box ticked off for your listing?

We list as “no smoking allowed” but put in the house rules that “There’s no smoking of any type in the building but you are welcome to smoke outside in the yard”. I have always feared that saying "smoking allowed"might be an excuse for someone to smoke inside or something. But I have a neighbor who allows smoking on her listing’s balconies only and says “smoking allowed”. I believe she is the only one in the area and it doesn’t seem that she has had any issues. Just curious what others who allow smoking outside only are listing as.

2 Likes

No. The apartments are smoke free but I explain to guests who smoke that they are welcome to smoke outside.

To me, saying that smoking is allowed implies inside the rental and it is somewhat of a falsehood to say that smoking is permitted when it clearly isn’t.

I am an ex-smoker and would expect to see ‘no smoking’ restrictions inside rentals, hotels, friends’ homes, workplaces, restaurants, stores etc. Most smokers have been aware for years that smoking is not tolerated in places other than their own home. (When I was a smoker, I didn’t do so in my own - or anyone else’s home).

Also, when I did smoke, I wouldn’t have been attracted to a rental that advertised that smoking was allowed. I was more than accustomed to smoking outside and would expect a smoking allowed place to be a bit smelly, with the odd cigarette burn here and there - not a professional place at all.

1 Like

I have never checked that box one way or the other. When I first set up my listing, I thought it over and my thinking was that if I said no smoking, smokers wouldn’t book (now after reading hosting forums, I know they do anyway :wink:), plus I’m an outdoor smoker myself, and if I said smoking allowed, the non-smokers wouldn’t book, assuming it smelled like a smoking allowed Motel 6 room.
That box has remained unchecked.

2 Likes