Business idea: selling local items

Hello everyone! We were approached with a proposal to sell items in our airbnb to guests via a technology platform. The idea is we source local items (local art, etc) and make them available for a price we set, the app makes the transaction happen if guests express interest. Wondering if anyone has encountered this? Thank you

I think somebody pitched an idea like that on this forum a while back.

2 Likes

If I was having to source the items myself then I would just sell them at my listing and say FB page.

Why would I need an app? @Justchris318

Been quite a few posts over the years with people suggesting apps and websites for local goods, art, food and drink etc

What company is it and how did they approach you?

1 Like

So I’m doing all the work of sourcing local art and pricing.
Cool.

Would my guest prefer to:

Download an app, create an account, trust their payment info to this unknown app
So they can finally pay

ORRRR.

I just put my PayPal or Venmo address on the art.
Guest pays using an App they already have on their phone.

File this under business ideas that create more problems than they solve.

1 Like

Most of us don’t see the value because there isn’t any value for us. However, to be fair, I think almost all of the ideas/services/apps/etc. that people come here to peddle are targeted at professional property managers with many listings. I can imagine that a host with 20 listings where local items are offered for sale would want a way to efficiently manage sales, restocking, and re-ordering of those items. The real question is whether forums like this are a good way to reach those hosts. I would guess not, but maybe there are more here than I realize.