Broken toilet while guest is here

My Trans Handy Man - Woman would take care of something like this in 10 minutes for $25.

3 Likes

(So would my wonder-woman of a housecleaner!)

(My go to guy - gal!)

Yā€™all, it doesnā€™t matter that much, but Iā€™m a woman, not a he. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We have sometimes had such issues and what we do is just turn on the water when needing to flush, then turn it back off. Are you able to do that?

And sorry for your pain - but toilets do break - it may have just been ready to go. Hope it works out - glad that she didnā€™t complain!

P.S. @southernbuckeye ā€¦ Yep, I knew 'dat from the get-go. (Guys donā€™t usually shy away from doing the fix-it stuff ā€“ we gals often do and thatā€™s why I am in awe of my housecleaner and all the stuff she can do.)

Southern, me too and believe me it was empowering as a single woman after my divorce to do all these things myself. I can now run a chainsaw, weedwhacker, run a drill, assemble furniture, paint decks, clean gutters and repair holes on my roof. Trap rats. Just to name a few. Oh yeah, and fix toilets. :wink:

I used to always wait for my ex husband to do all these things. That is why things never got done.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the opposite place. I was single until almost 40 and owned a home. My husband, when just a friend, was very impressed by my collection of power tools. Now Iā€™m a wimp, lol - the type of woman I would have been totally confused by in my single yearsā€¦

1 Like

Lol @dcmooney. Yeah it happensā€¦ I wouldnā€™t begrudge you the pleasure that comes from knowing your bloke will fix it though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am also divorced! I am pretty handy with all things but plumbing (or what according to this thread is a ā€œsimple toilet fixā€). I mean yesterday afternoon with snow in the forecast for today, I salted all my sidewalks and steps. I did most of it with a seed spreader. Awesome life hack. I know thatā€™s not the same thing as fixing a toilet but it took 15 minutes at most to do it that way, as opposed to spreading salt with a shovel.

(itā€™s a cheap plastic spreader that wonā€™t corrode that isnā€™t shared with the fertilizer one, as I know salt is bad for grass)

Iā€™m also really good with electricalā€¦my dad was an electrician until he retired so I grew up around it, and he and I installed several extra outlets in my house. He actually renovated every home we lived in when I was growing up with most of the work done himself. He also loved working in the yard, so I learned a lot about that too. The only repairs he didnā€™t know how to do was, you guessed it, plumbing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dang girlā€¦ just think how GREAT you will feel to be able to do that loo fix on your own! Soo satisfying!

Sounds like my gardener Patricia. I just love her. 6+ feet tall, khakis, safari hat, and wears red lip stick.

I suggested a new toilet so that the new one would be easy ER for OP to fix.

Welp, time to replace the tank innards.

I had the same problem and that was the only solution. It only keeps running if thereā€™s a problem with the tank innards. Itā€™s cheap and not very messy at all. I did it myself in about an hour. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They did not go into vast detail with the issue but it was something with the flapper? It was not expensive for them to do it for me. All is well with my toilet again. Iā€™m thankful I had no reservations last night or tonight.

1 Like

Oh dearā€¦ Forgive me for saying this, but the flapper is literally the easiest thing of all to do yourself. You can even buy replacement flappers without having to do the whole fluid master thing.

1 Like

Yep. She pulled the flapper off. I knew it. Thatā€™s why the water kept running and the tank wouldnā€™t fill.

2 Likes

I had a flapper once in my old toilet that wouldnā€™t seal all the way and it leaked. They just wear out. Such an easy fix! But letā€™s not rub it in on poor Buckeye. :wink:

sorry about that @southernbuckeye ; itā€™s exactly the problem I mentioned earlier about replacing the ā€˜plugā€™ bit. Itā€™s not even a situation of fixing it itā€™s just question of putting it back in place. I hope they showed you how so you can do it yourself next time. And Iā€™m glad you had an honest plumber who didnā€™t try to pretend it was something more complicatedā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s not a bad idea to have a spare flapper on hand. Go down to ace and you will see what I mean. Replacement ones aRe a couple bucks. Even if you donā€™t want to do it yourself, just have it on hand so you can ask a friend or neighbor if this happens again.