Broken toilet while guest is here

Instead of fixing, maybe get a new toilet.

You can also google how to install it and play a You Tube video that shows you step by step. J is right, this was an easy fix. A 50 percent refund was overly generous.

Whaaaaaa no! Donā€™t buy new when something can be fixed, thereā€™s finite resources on this earth as it is !

Especially since the cow broke it :o

1 Like

Toooooo funny :____ Been there done that. If I were a ā€œtold you soā€ person Iā€™d say I told you so. Hey, itā€™s all part of the charm.

1 Like

I was thinking of you when I made that comment actually ! Haha!! Because you did tell me so!

Iā€™d be annoyed as heck to stay somewhere with a broken toilet. I donā€™t know why itā€™s the guestā€™s fault. She reached inside the tank and broke the fluidmaster apparatus? Thatā€™s ridiculous.

I agree with @Helsi that having an operating toilet is essential. Yes, of course things happen but saying you canā€™t afford to fix it is not an option. If there is a storm and you canā€™t get a plumber to come out then offering a refund is the right thing to do. Youā€™re lucky you have a gracious guest.

I had the internet go out with a guest and I offered a partial refund. They also had trouble getting in the house when they first arrived and I wasnā€™t home. They gave me my only 3 star rating.

1 Like

A toilet is actually a very simple mechanism. If I can install the fluid master by myself anyone can!!!

Iā€™ve noticed that people donā€™t read. Itā€™s especially amusing when hosts complain that guests donā€™t read their rules/listings and then come here and demonstrate plainly how difficult a task that is.

1 Like

No, but she was the last to use it before it started running/stopped flushing. I was thinking maybe she pushed the handle too hard or something but in any event, I did refund her partially.

I can afford a plumber, just not at weekend/snowstorm rates though now that this happened I will certainly create a fund for it if it happens again. I already stated I have a plumber coming tomorrow. I also already stated no plumber considered the only toilet in my home being offline as enough of an emergency for a weekend call. No reservations tonight or tomorrow night. And otherwise I live by myself so I can manage on public restrooms til then.

Iā€™ve done all I can save for fixing it myself and I attempted that already.

I am done posting in this thread til I find out whatā€™s wrong with it tomorrow. I cannot believe the amount of insistence I can repair this myself.

Donā€™t get mad at us, we are only trying to help. I donā€™t see why you have to hire a plumber to install a fluid master. A plumber for clogged lines or pipes, or toilet replacement itself, yes.

But if it is the flushing mechanism, itā€™s an easy replacement. Any repair from the tank top itself you can do without a plumber or with a simple handyman.

But whatever. Not sure why you are taking your toilet frustrations out on us.

2 Likes

Not all people are confident to replace parts themselves. Iā€™m one of them. Itā€™s annoying that people keep insisting I should when Iā€™ve tried and repeatedly have said that I need help fixing it. Iā€™m frustrated because people arenā€™t reading what I keep saying and keep telling me to keep trying to do it myself.

ā€¦one of the potential issues when you post something on a public forum. If DIY-lovers have successfully tackled the issue before then hopefully it will be helpful to someone else who is experiencing something similar in the future. I have fixed toilets (a small badge of honor) and had to restrain myself from offering advice. :wink:

While youā€™re ā€œgoing through itā€ it sounds like the unwanted advice feels like a big deal, but people are really just sharing the love and trying to help you. After this is all resolved hopefully youā€™ll see that.

Fortunately, you always have the option to ignore what everyone says.

3 Likes

Canā€™t help with this toilet thing, but if you oven goes on the fritz, then I have plenty of advice. ::tongue in cheek::

1 Like

My point is that I donā€™t think you need a plumber for this simple fix. Just get a handyman.

What I donā€™t get is that you say the handle wonā€™t flush. Well there has to be water in the tank for it to flush. If you turned off the valve then the tank will empty out. If you turn it back on, it will fill then you can turn it off again so it doesnā€™t overflow and you can try to plunge it.

If there is water in the upper tank and it wonā€™t flush then it is the mechanism. Itā€™s easy to do yourself but if you donā€™t want to a handyman can easily do it. A plumber coming out will be at least a hundred.

But what do I know.

1 Like

Why would I plunge the toilet if itā€™s not clogged? As Iā€™ve already statedā€¦a clog isnā€™t the issue and plunging wonā€™t do anything.

Iā€™m fine with paying $100 for a service call. Or even $300 if itā€™s that. Just as long as I donā€™t have to do it myself, and risk messing it up even more.

What happens when you throw a bucket of water down it? Doesnā€™t that have the same effect as flushing?

1 Like

The entire mechanism is around $15 at Home Depot. All you need is a pair of pliers.

1 Like

Hehe this thread is making me smile. Chaps @southernbuckeye has made it clear heā€™s fine with a plumber! Letā€™s just wait and see whatā€™s reported back ehā€¦

2 Likes

He loves keeping plumbers employed!!!

2 Likes