Broken Dishwasher Discount?

2 Likes

In the old days, students took Home Economics in school and they learned basic stuff like keeping a clean and sanitary kitchen. Those days are long gone. I agree with the poster that said most people don’t know how to properly wash dishes.

1 Like

I was saying I am surprised you see guests washing up properly when I don’t!
All in the context of people saying handwashing is clean and fine/dishwashers are wasteful.

Anyway in answer to my question above, what percentage of your guests wash up as I describe?

My cat couldn’t manage that. The only thing my hapless old boy has managed is to knock something off the worktop for the dog to get.

@Ritz3

I hadn’t thought about that. A few weeks ago, I ran into a time crunch getting my whole condo rental ready for the person checking in that afternoon. The cleaner & I worked together to meet the deadline. While she was helping me fold sheets, she tells me she doesn’t know how to fold a fitted sheet. she always pulls the linens out of the dryer, rolls all into a ball, and places it in the linen closet.

I noticed my prior cleaner did the same thing.

At the hospital, one of the younger nurses wore scrubs that dragged on the floor. We chatted about germs having weight and being very plentiful on the floor. She stated she will not wear her “hospital” shoes into her home. I asked her what she did about her pants dragging germs in. She said that was the length they came and she didn’t know how to hem a pair of pants.

All of them were too young to have taken Home Ec.

1 Like

Annett3176, I’m in my 50’s and I remember learning to sew, hem, bake, cook, set a table, etc. Even creating a budget and writing a check. Not sure why it’s not taught anymore. I’m laughing over here by picturing a linen closet filled with balls of sheets! LOL

1 Like

Yeah I am amazed when I see nurses in uniform on buses. Also nurses are now allowed to wash their uniforms at home. They don’t know how to launder hygenically any more than they know how to wash up or stack a dishwasher. No wonder the hospitals are full of MRSA.

2 Likes

Use Wonderweb tape and an iron lol

1 Like

The world is full of MRSA. I personally think it is everywhere–it has to be. Nurses on buses didn’t cause the problem; neither did washing our uniforms at home. So many people are colonized with MRSA on their skin, it can be everywhere on any surface that can be touched.

@Bunny Tell us–were you successful in fixing the dishwasher?

Yes and it’s fine with germs being all around. Just not in hospitals! Hospitals are hot, closed, crowded environments where germs can multiply. The patients have reduced immunity, injuries or operations. I would bring back hospital laundries and cleaners in a flash.

@jess1 You’ve officially worn me out. I’m not enjoying our banter.

2 Likes

Just leave the problem unsolved then, no need to think about lack of hospital hygiene.

At my younger son’s middle school they brought back cooking classes, but they are calling it food science, and tying it in with the school garden and science curriculum. They have very fancy equipment, including sous-vide machines.

I wish they would focus a bit more on the basics of cooking and add more general life skills like budgeting, basic sewing, cleaning, laundry, financial literacy.

I do try to teach the kids these things, but there seem to be a whole lot of young people who don’t know much about “adulting,” as they call it.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem to have so much science as home economics O level used to. I can remember doing the chemistry of food preservation etc. now it seems very product led, as you say the sous vide machine rather than principles and practical applications.

Unfortunately no. :disappointed:

@Bunny
If you think it is the drain out clogged, Is there a way to suck it out with a wet/dry vac?

I’m asking because my front load wasn’t draining completely after clearing the drain filter. A wet/dry vac was able to fit in the outlet (just barely) and I was able to suck out some clogging material. OK this is dishwasher to clothes washer but the drain concept is the same.

Indeed I daresay the outlet is clogged because guests have not scraped the dishes! Wet vac/carpet shampooer with attachment might work.

That was the first thing I checked as it was the easiest to access. Used a shop vac.

1 Like