Brand new and looking for any advice please!

Hi
I’m Suzie and hoping to list my 1 bedroom ensuite next week when it’s finally finished!
Always wanted a little B&B and now I’ve made it happen!
Nervous about all the Policies and fees on airB&B …. Any advice gratefully received :grinning:

2 Likes

First thing is to contact your homeowners and make sure they cover short term stays. Second thing is to make sure you have a first aid kit in the suite. Also nice to have is a guest book with things to do in the area and a local map. If you have a kitchenette in the suite, it’s a good idea to also have a fire extinguisher. Most importantly, have fun. Happy Hosting!

1 Like
  • Is there a specific area in which you are nervous and/or looking for advice?
  • Where are you located (state)? Is this a home share or a separate property?
  • Do you live nearby?
  • Will you be doing the cleaning or hiring out?
  • Do you offer contactless check-in? {If so, are you also available to do face-to-face orientation: Best Practice
  • Who are you trying to attract as a guest?
  • Is your home appropriate for pets? Children? Infants?
    So you might want to edit your post to provide this information for more tailored responses.

Meanwhile, here’s some general information I’ve gleaned in the few months that I’ve been here:

Underpromise and overdeliver

• If there’s a potential drawback/negative to your listing, point it out
  • Make your listing’s words and pictures accurate
  • Spend a night in your new listing yourself to make sure you understand what you’re offering
  • Ask a friend to stay there overnight and give you the good, the bad, and the ugly

House Rules
What are your rules?
Show them here and you’ll get feedback

Safety and Insurance

• Is your property up to code? [e.g., Rails on steps]
  • Trip hazards?
  • Do you have commercial insurance like Prosper?
  • Are combustibles 3’+ away from cooktop?

Basics

• Do you have a spare set of sheets in closet?
  • What basic amenities do you provide?
  • Starter pack of toilet paper and paper towels
  • Salt and pepper
  • How many towels and hand towels?
  • Bath soaps: hand, body wash, shampoo, conditioner
  • Is this also a work space?
  • Do you use unscented products to clean laundry?
  • Is a guidebook appropriate for your area?
  • Is your listing super clean?
  • Have you compared your photos, listing content and amenities with your competitors?

I wouldn’t worry about Airbnb policies and fees. Just make sure you understand your responsibilities as Host, make your listing 100% accurate.

The list above is a start. We’ll chime in more, with more specifics from you as are cue.

Good luck!

2 Likes

There is a new host assistance program:
https://www.airbnb.com/askasuperhost?from=hlp

I wouldnt just use that link though, because you will get a random host. The best is to research other Airbnb’s in your neighborhood. Look at the hosts and look for a Superhost with the kind of reviews you want to receive (5 star obviously). The, reach out to them and ask if they participate in the program (Airbnb pays them to help you).

And, consider getting them to co-host for a percentage to help get everything set up. Its always a good plan to have backup close by anyway.

1 Like

I’m thinking of signing up for that new host helper program:) … askasuperhost?..The op might also have a host friend that can be referred by them as the person who got them to start up on Airbnbn. Is this called the host referral program?

Its called the Ambassadors program. This is the link to sign up: https://www.airbnb.com/ambassadors

And, to the OP, if you contact a superhost and ask for help and they are not familiar with the program, give them that link as well.

2 Likes

I think our own @Annet3176 participates in this and seems like a great mentor to a new Host.

5 Likes

if you read the forums, here and over on Airbnb, you’ll hear all the tales (good and bad, mostly bad) that will open your eyes to what could happen, and how to be prepared. I’ve had mostly great guests, and i’m sure thanks to the advice here and elsewhere i’ve fortified my listing with wording, policies and rules that deter shonky guests. (not always, just had a terrible guest checkout this morning!)

2 Likes

However, I would say that dealing with terrible guests isn’t nearly as terrible if you know that other hosts have had those experiences, too, and the most effective ways to deal with those situations. Which is where reading hosting forums regularly, not just when you have an issue, is invaluable.

So many new hosts end up in bad predicaments that could have been less damaging to either their mental health or their pocketbook had they had the experiences and solutions of other hosts to draw on.

2 Likes

bingo. I’ve seen far worse.
also i know y’all would berate me for letting them getting away with their transgressions, ha. so i didn’t whinge here about it. i chose to let the guest be and get my good review.

1 Like

But that’s the thing- there are many different ways to deal with a situation, and really only the host knows in any given circumstance, depending on those specific guests and the level of transgression, what the best approach might be. Some of us may have good instincts that lead us to choose the best approach, but having an arsenal of knowledge about all the possible approaches is better than feeling at sea.

The first year and a half that I hosted, I wasn’t even aware that hosting forums existed. When I had my first “situation”, on my second booking, I clearly remember standing there thinking “Oh shit, oh shit, how am I supposed to deal with this?”.
As it turned out, the way I handled it worked out fine for both me and the guest, but I would have felt much more relaxed about it had I known that other hosts have had the same thing happen, and all the possible ways it might best be addressed.

2 Likes

Thank you @HostAirbnbVRBO

I do participate in the Ambassador program.

I truly enjoy helping new hosts.

I do recommend before clicking any superhost or ambassador link, the new host chat with the ambassador & check their references to make sure it is a good fit.

I gladly do “no obligation” phone calls with anyone thinking about partnering with a host ambassador.

Also there is an international Facebook group for new Airbnb hosts. Join it. The questions & responses are new host type. The moderators post Airbnb “how to” articles frequently.

When they ask me about cross marketing & Branding, I suggest they Google “Tiny tiki retro hideaway” to see an excellent example. @gypsy could teach a master’s class

Since March I’ve assisted 12 new hosts. A couple already have multiple properties.

We have a little immediate help each other messenger group.

7 of the 12 are in the Myrtle Beach area so we share cleaner & maintenance info too.

The others are in GA blue ridge mountains, Goodyear AZ, NY mountains, NC mountains, &FL.

4 Likes

Have you had a look at the Airbnb Community @Suzie they have tutorials and guides for new hosts.

Thank you….
I can tick most of that thank you, but what do you mean by homeowners please?

Your homeowner’s insurance policy must include short term rental. God forbid your guestd were to get injured and sue you, your policy would not cover them. Contact your insurance company and have them to update your policy to cover short term rentals. It just takes a phone call. My insurance agent did it over the phone in a few minutes and days later I received the updated policy in the mail.

Great advice here, but don’t let it overwhelm you. When we started we developed a little questionnaire specific to our unit that asked things that Airbnb doesn’t. Questions like:

• Were you expecting anything that wasn’t here?
  • Were directions clear?
  • Is there anything that would have made your stay more comfortable?

Consequently we added a luggage rack, more reading lights, a few utensils, a couple of small signs, a sound absorbing pad under the small fridge, etc. If it is a homeshare you can always ask these things verbally but yours sounds separate. If someone suggests something expensive we ignore it if it seems too guest specific and budget for it in the future if it is reasonable. We did that for our first 10 guests or so. Also be prepared to adjust your price if you are not getting bookings (maybe lower) or if you are booked straight out (maybe raise it). Try to keep your messaging with guests on the Airbnb thread or keep screen shots of any texts or emails that might be important resolving questions and issues. In our experience our good guests far outweigh the challenging ones. Good luck!

2 Likes

@Suzie Suzie, if your listing is in a condo, the first thing you need to do is to determine if you are allowed to rent your unit to third parties. Also, even if you are in a condo, you need to find out if the city the listing is located allows you to have a property for short term guests.
Also, in my opinion, do not allow bookings for 1-2 days; set a minimum of 3+ days.
Wishing you success in your new endeavor!

2 Likes

Thank you Annet for your kind reference!!! I think we are successful mainly because I tried so hard to make our rental very unique and very welcoming:) Tiny tiki retro Hideaway"“”

1 Like

I apologize for taking this off topic. But, on the Tiny tiki retro hideaway facebook page you push Houfy. Im not familiar with that one. Would you mind giving a quick rundown on how it works, costs, and why you push it?

I think thesubjectofhoufy has been banned on this site. Feel free to contact me privately!