Brand new and looking for any advice please!

It’s not banned but leveraging the success of this forum (and Airbnb) to promote a brand that feels more like MLM than a booking site isn’t something we’re going to let happen again.

5 Likes

Thanks for validating my thoughts on Houfy. I was interested for awhile, but after doing much research, I felt the same about the MLM. I did like that someone was doing something new to market STRs, but that’s not the way I’m going. Guess I’ll ride the Airbnb light til it fizzles out!:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Let me make it clear: I’m biased against Houfy. Don’t discount it due to me.

2 Likes

Sorry, im relatively new. I genuinely had never heard of it. Please accept my appologies for bringing up a controvertial subject. Admins, please feel free to remove my post.

No need to apologize. Houfy has it’s (tiny) space in the discussion. It’s not forbidden to mention and the risk of putting your listing there is low. Just don’t drink the kool-aid.

3 Likes

My two cents, but until you start hosting a bit it may not even make sense: Try to avoid chasing good reviews. Of course you want/need those first couple of reviews to be good to get you off to a great start. After a while people become review/star focused. It is much less stressful to just do your very best, have a clear conscience about what is best for your guests (how would you like it done unto you?) and apply good, solid business principles. Good reviews should follow, but if you get dinged, you won’t fall apart.

2 Likes

I listed on Houfy- have had 1 booking

2 Likes

@Suzie Hosting is a wide subject. What particular questions do you, at this time? Reason why I ask is because everything under the sun has already been discussed on this board and the Community one, but we have no clue what you already know thus far.

we have had 21 houfydirect bookings
not including friends, family or returning guests

Use common sense and don’t take anyone’s BS. This is your home and remember that ONLY you have the power to make this experience everything you want it to be!

Hosting can be very gratifying & frustrating at the same time. For me, it’s more gratifying than not. I love making things lovely and special, because I do that, some people take advantage of that, so be careful. Always be kind and firm at the same time. People will always appreciate and respect you if you lead by example. Remember… it’s your horns that keep your halo up :wink:

3 Likes

possibly some of the worst advice I’ve read on here. many new hosts who use Airbnb get into trouble precisely because the don’t familiarise themselves with how Airbnb works.

1 Like

These are the OP’s words. My point was simply that the OP need not ‘worry’ about Airbnb policies and fees, that the OP could make money from listing its property with Airbnb as we all do. The intention was not, of course, to disregard them or not become familiar with them. In fact the next sentence states:

Context.

3 Likes