Blown away, 2 bookings last night

We had a few bookings cancel and then we cancelled one. Have blocked ours out until the end of May. I have Type 1 Diabetes so am not putting myself at risk. Hubby has me under house arrest but luckily I can work from home.

2 Likes

I decided to stay open but on the off chance I get any bookings, leave a few days between. If you wait a couple of days to clean, most potential virus should die off on it own, especially as I understand, on porous surfaces like bedding. That limits your exposure as well as next guest. Hard surfaces are easier to deal with using dilute bleach solution. My concern was changing bedding which is difficult to do without it getting all over you. My other concern for guests is pillows and duvets whether anything would penetrate covers and cases.
Best practice would be to check cleaning recommendations from health departments.

Be cautious. My history has shown that lower prices bring lower quality guests.

Late last week I had two bookings one for Saturday and one for Monday (yesterday.) One canceled 24 hours before check in so was fully refunded because I have a flexible policy. Yesterdays guest canceled at 3:07 pm (with 4 pm ) check in , so last minute and not in the flexible window. She gets back nothing according to my record on Airbnb although I havenā€™t yet gotten notification the payment has been sent.

Iā€™ll certain let everyone know if she is refunded.

I had one that was in may I think cancel and got a 50% refund per my policy. Guest never contacted me about getting the other half.

RR

My guest couldnā€™t be bothered to message me either. Maybe she figured she wasnā€™t entitled to a refund and why bother?

Probably the case.

RR

I hope those guests didnā€™t get sick.

1 Like

The Saturday booking did not but yesterdays I donā€™t know. She was supposed to be moving so maybe that just didnā€™t happen.

Hi, speaking as a Brit, now resident in Spain. Just querying some of your statements ā€¦ there is currently NO payment system in the UK for the self employed. They are looking at it, but a long way from implementation, but I strongly suspect it will be nowhere near Ā£10,000. There is a plan for salaried employees to receive 80% of their normal salary, but this is not yet in operation.

Here in Spain, no one is getting a penny. We are in day 12 of full lockdown. My husband is a teacher, schools closed the Friday before last .no money coming in. We do Airbnb from our own home, and I also manage a couple of other properties. Everything closed down, no travel outside your own town unless essential and provable. You go out of your house alone, without your partner, ONLY for food shopping, pharmacy or important medical appointments. No walking, no popping round to see your family, nada! Two people together are stopped by the Guardia. This happened to us last week ā€¦ I was having a post cancer treatment follow up test at a hospital so this was allowable. Nobody is getting financial support, but right now, weā€™re just concentrating on staying safe, staying alive and stopping the spread. Watching live footage of police and army convoys ferrying the dead out of hospitals in Madrid as they have nowhere to put the bodies keeps your mind somewhat focussed. Itā€™s not for me to lecture, all Iā€™ll say is think very very carefully about what you are doing.

Stay well

1 Like

@bevandian Thanks for sharing your experience and best wishes for you in Spain.

There is to be Ā£10k grant to those in receipt of small business rate relief in England and Wales, and a grant of Ā£25k to hospitality businesses with a rateable value up to Ā£51k. This is separate to any measures to support the self employed that might be announced.

Has your husband not had an ERTE form?

Hereā€™s a couple of links that are worth a read.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faq/coronavirus-workers-rights/

http://sepe.es/HomeSepe/COVID-19.html

JF

2 Likes

Thanks John, unfortunately he doesnt qualify for payment :disappointed_relieved:, but very useful info.

Thatā€™s a pity, unfortunately my OH is in a similar position. She only does the odd couple of days, here and there, to provide sickness cover and is given a contract only for when she actually works. Sheā€™s started the online classes for two days a week, so thatā€™s keeping her occupied just now.

All the school admin staff got their ERTEā€™s last Friday :frowning_face:

JF

Just checking before I reply. Are we speaking email or posting on the thread here?

Posting on the public thread. Feel free to send me a Private Message though.

JF

The Spring Breakers are not Millennials - Iā€™m not sure what they are, but Milennials are a bit old for that. Theyā€™re usually defined as being ages 25-39. Somehow Milennials got tagged with being Spring Break partiers and itā€™s stuck. IDK, are they Gen Z?

I hope that Generation Alpha doesnā€™t get changed to Generation Omega. In any case it is going to get a different name due to covid Iā€™m sure.