Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

Best sheets that resist hair clinging and stains

Please can anyone recommend? We are throwing away sheets weekly due to stains and our current sheets still have hair clinging after wash and dry. Thank you from Minneapolis

Microfiber sheets seem to hold onto hair,

I have moved to 100% cotton white sheets and I use a lint roller before stripping the bed and when making it.

No stains so far that could not be dealt with.

RR

5 Likes

Same with us. All white, 100% cotton, and lint roller. We haven’t lost a sheet yet.

3 Likes

Any chance you need a new washer and dryer or detergent - or a different wash cycle? Throwing sheets out weekly is astonishing.

Be sure to read up on how to get stains out:

1. Don’t apply heat to a stain - it will set it. Don’t use hot water, and don’t put into the dryer before the stain is out.
  2. Hydrogen peroxide works well on blood
  3. White Brite (get it at WalMart) works well on lots of stains IF your sheets are white.
  4. Some hosts swear by OxyClean
  5. Bleach is possible, but preferably only as a last resort.

Buy white Charisma 100% cotton sheets from Costco. Reasonably-priced and decent feel.

4 Likes

I agree with above advice. If you are using sheets with polyester in them, either cotton poly or microfiber you will have more issues. I’m currently using a 100% Peru Pima Percale (available on Amazon or on the Peru Pima site) but they are more expensive than some. I’ve also used the Kirkland sheets from Costco if you are in the US. There are some other brands I got at Costco in the past that were sold as 300 TC cotton and they have light patterns but they were the worst about being clingy and also not generously sized.

3 Likes

I also mostly line dry everything, that way you can see anything that needs extra attention before it is dry. If I have days between bookings I will line dry even in the winter under a covered porch. This month everything is going in the dryer, no days off!

RR

3 Likes

FYI Costcos are located outside of the US as well. There are Costcos in Canada and in Mexico, and I would assume in other countries as well. One cool thing is that the membership fee is less in Mexico than Canada, but a Costco card can be used at any Costco anywhere, so I use my Mexican card when shopping at Costco in Canada.

7 Likes

A touch of fabric softener seems to help. Also, when drying, let sheets move around freely.

Cotton is expensive here, but it is the Queen of bedsheets. A distant cousin is bamboo.

1 Like

Yes. Some people here in El Paso drive over to the one in Juarez. And even state to state in the US what is available can vary quite a bit.

1 Like

That is bonkers. I’ve only ever thrown away sheets when they’ve worn out, never because of stains. I wash everything in cold water and if anything has marks, it gets soaked in Oxyclean first (sometimes more than one soaking).

I’ve never needed to use it in the rentals but at home I’ve soaked things in a mild hydrogen peroxide solution (red wine stains on napkins).

P.S. Never throw stuff like that out. Cut it up for cleaning rags or donate to the local animal shelter or vet office. Animals don’t care about stains.

4 Likes

If you go to the Costco in Bellingham, Washington, about 10 miles south of the border, it’s full of folks from Vancouver who visit every week to gas up their cars. Fuel taxes add 20% to the cost in BC.

3 Likes

They do sell the Kirkland sheets here in Mexico Costco, but they don’t have them in twin size, which is what I need for the guest room. In fact, decent sheets are one thing that are almost impossible to come by here, so I buy them when I go to Canada in the summer and bring them down. Are they available in twin in the US?

No twin. Even double/full isn’t available in the Kirkland brand which is how I ended up with some other brand of sheets I didn’t like. I used to have a double size mattress.

1 Like

Thank you to l who helped us with this topic. We are grateful. Will try the Costco sheets we are located in Minneapolis so one in every corner almost

3 Likes

They have them on reduced price periodically; I think maybe in January when they feature home goods and furniture.

1 Like

Thank you so much KKC!

1 Like

One more suggestion: I have noted, in my checkout instructions, that guests please do NOT strip beds as we have a “process”. (Usually, when they still do strip the beds, it’s an indicator that there is something wrong.) This way stains are easier to spot & pretreat. If due to lotions and hair “grease” I must pre-soak in detergent & vinegar. I always wash in hot after pre-treating or soaking stained items. I also depend on Oxyclean. I’m still on my original microfiber sheets which I bought due to low price. They actually have held up pretty well & have stayed bright white. I can’t handle cotton wrinkles & shrinking, so always look for a blend when buying sheets, now.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the tip Linda

1 Like

I love this forum where you will get advice from all parts of the spectrum. Our discussions of microfiber sheets have been quite spirited. I would advise Grace to consider climate when choosing sheets. I live in a hot climate most the year (El Paso TX) and for whatever reason I just can’t stand microfiber sheets. I stayed with a friend in IN in Oct and her guest bed has microfiber and could tell. It really disrupted my sleep. Also the clingyness and static seems so much worse with mf, but maybe that’s due to the low humidity here. So I’d advise carefully considering your market and climate before using microfiber.

1 Like

I agree- I hate microfiber sheets- aside from the feel I don’t wish to be sleeping on and breathing what is essentially plastic. I can’t imagine why they’re so popular. My preference, and what I use for my guests is 100% cotton, sometimes a small percentage of poly mixed in.

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!