Best list I have seen for any new host starting out - this is the reality!

shared from Facebook

· Airbnb does not collect a security deposit nor does it allow the host to collect a security deposit, in or outside of their platform.

· Airbnb collects payments, often months in advance, but does not remit them to the host until 24 hours after the guest arrives.

· Airbnb can override the host’s chosen cancellation policy. The host confirms a reservation for a busy holiday week and a member of the guest’s party becomes ill. The booking is cancelled for an “emergency” at the discretion of Airbnb and without recourse or compensation for the host. No need to buy traveler’s insurance, Airbnb has the guests’ back.

· Airbnb routinely fails to enforce “extra-guest” fees even with photographic evidence or an admission from the traveler.

· Airbnb makes no distinction between a service animal and an emotional support animal.

· Airbnb routinely denies claims for in-house smoking and pet violations by the guest.

· Airbnb $1 million host guarantee is NOT insurance and funds are issued solely at the discretion of Airbnb and not a third party.

· When a host ejects a guest for a violation of rules (large party, smoking, neighborhood disturbance, vandalism, etc.) by default Airbnb automatically and instantly refunds the guest their balance without consideration of damages, lost revenue or other claims. The balance is refunded directly from the host’s bank account if payment has been disbursed by Airbnb.

· Airbnb often “pauses” or suspends hosts’ accounts for reasons unspecified. Airbnb will often refuse any correspondence and will cancel all future incoming guests, regardless of their numbers if this happens.

· When you are suspended or banned from the platform, often without a stated cause, Airbnb will notify your (previously) future guests of your violation of their terms of service determined by their “trust and safety” department and encourage them to find alternate lodging on their platform.

· Airbnb demands relevant communication only take place on their platform and when a conflict arises they will often remove all conversations with the conflicted guest from the host dashboard.

· Airbnb allows guests to rent anonymously. Airbnb allows guests to use pseudonyms instead of real names. Airbnb recently eliminated guest pictures during the booking process.

· Airbnb forbids the collection of a signed rental agreement, occupant list, photo identification or any personal information by the host.

· The arbitration agreement agreed to in the Terms of Service indicates hosts agree to an “informal” resolution by Airbnb’s “customer service team” before binding arbitration takes place. Hosts waive their right to a trial by jury, as well as their right to become a plaintiff in “any purported class action lawsuit, class-wide arbitration, private attorney general action, or any other representative proceeding.”

· For the purposes of dispute resolution, Airbnb will not consider any communication outside of their platform. This includes phone calls, texting, face-to-face conversations and private email to private email communications.

· Airbnb will often punish a host for offenses by blocking calendar dates, disabling a listing, removing “Super Host” status, levying a fine in the form of a lien on the host’s next booking, or removing the host from the platform temporarily or permanently. This typically occurs with accompanying correspondence indicating the decision is final, the matter is closed, and no recourse exists.

· Airbnb has a history of ejecting hosts from their platform, suddenly, without warning and without explanation. There is no recourse for the ejected hosts.

· Airbnb will not release guest information to a host. Any release of information about a guest will require a court order.

· Airbnb is beholden to the guest. The guest is the source of revenue for the Airbnb platform. If the guest is the customer, the host is the commodity. Hosts are both plentiful and expendable. Nearly everything the platform does in regards to host/guest interaction is designed to compel the host to accept all possible bookings.

· It is to the benefit of Airbnb to side with the guest when a dispute arises.

18 Likes

Superb work! You have got my vote for Pinned Post!

3 Likes

Good information but these parts are not entirely accurate.

For stays over 28 nights, Airbnb recommends an additional lease from the host that complies with local residency requirements.

Airbnb does not prohibit the host from requesting and reviewing guest IDs to confirm guest is who registered. Encourages this for home sharing.

Yes Airbnb screens out emails & phone numbers prior to a confirmed reservation BUT doesn’t prevent the host from the full name & phone number of the guest after the reservation is made.

After the reservation is over, yes Airbnb sanitizes the contact information and will not supply it. (Updated: see additional postings-go to details for completed visits. Guest phone number available)

5 Likes

I have not found Airbnb to be “sanitizing” information on past guests. I can click on any guest who stayed with me and still access their profile.

2 Likes

@DozerPug. Yes you can see profile but not phone numbers

I can see phone numbers all the way back to the first guest. If I go in the message thread and click on “details” all the info is still right there.

1 Like

I agree this is a good list for anyone starting out. There are tons of “get rich like I did” youtube channels and blogs out there encouraging people to get on board with Airbnb.

However, it’s a list for a certain kind of rental and a certain kind of host. In 6 years and over 800 guests I have NOT found most of these things to be a problem.

Deposit or not I’ve always gotten my payment requests for damage or pet fees. I’ve always gotten my payment. I think a couple have been late or I had to contact them but I got them. The float is really irrelevant. And other services do just the same. With Rover.com (dog boarding site) I don’t get paid until the day after the stay ends. I’ve never had my account suspended or my calendar mysteriously blocked. I’ve never had conversations with a guest removed unless the guest was removed after I reported them.

3 Likes

@DozerPug. Just checked. Yep you are correct. I haven’t checked for the phone number on a completed reservation in a long time.

Based on you comments after, Did you mean “ not to be a problem”?

1 Like

This really worries me. I am being blackmailed at the moment, and the person has threatened to tell Air BnB that my listing is structurally compromised and is a risk to life. As far as I know this is untrue. He ( the blackmailer) says I must pay £5000 for a gro physical survey and this is the only way I can prove he is wrong.

I have two listings- it is only one he says is unsafe. He says if I pay him £4000 he will not phone Air BnB.

From what I have read it seems Air BnB would just suspend my listing and cancel my bookings?

I have just moved to this new area for a new life and these listings ( both in my garden) are my only income.

I am going to go to the police about this but it doesn’t help with my loss of income.

Does anyone have any advice please?

The reason I am being blackmailed is that this guy did some very poor work on my property which I have asked him to put right before I pay the final.payment to him

Oh - you should right away copy the contact info for all your bookings, past and future.

If something does go down, you can then directly book the guests.

You need to speak with a legal expert in your country. Also … maybe time to get a recording? Blackmail is a serious crime.
https://www.google.com/search?q=UK+is+it+legal+to+record+conversations&oq=UK+is+it+legal+to+record+conversations&aqs=chrome..69i57.15778j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 Like

Yes, I am.calling the police tomorrow- the threat is in writing.

I have recorded guest phone numbers. My worry is that Air BnB will yell them their booking has been cancelled due to a safety issue so they won’t book direct.

1 Like

I guess it never occurs to Airbnb that experienced hosts generally make a note of the guests’ phone numbers off-site as soon as a reservation is confirmed?

1 Like

@muddy
I posted a bit later that I checked and yes you can get phone numbers from past trip details.

I was wrong about Airbnb removing phone numbers. The last time I checked which was several years ago, phone numbers were removed.

1 Like

You’re right about Airbnb removing past guests’ phone numbers from the “message” pages. But we can still see their phone number on the “detail” pages,

This is not blackmail – it is criminal extortion. He has no legitimate reason in the normal course of his business to be reporting anything to Airbnb, and would only do so as an “act of malice” because you failed to meet his demands for money. Pretty clear cut.
Document everything in a well-organized dossier, and report this to your local police.
In the meantime – I would suggest going on the record and reporting to Airbnb that someone is attempting to extort several thousand £ in the form of an unrequested and unnecessary contract for professional services to your Airbnb-listed dwelling and that you are reporting this criminal activity to the local police.
Keep Airbnb posted – that way – if he ever does contact them you are on record at Airbnb (with a police case number) before they even hear from him, and you are not left playing defence after the fact.
One other thing – I do not see how someone who has never been a guest at your property even gets a platform or gets any standing on the Airbnb platform to deliver comments about your property to Airbnb.

6 Likes

Thanks, yes it is pretty unpleasant.

I have called the police now and wish I had done it earlier. I have a case number and also my solicitor is writing to him on Monday just repeating what I said in my letter.

I am going to contact Air BnB with the police case number.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

3 Likes

Airbnb’s neighborhood support/reporting section is accessible by anyone with a concern regardless of ever being a guest.

2 Likes

Yep, as soon as anyone mentions “safety issue”, Airbnb’s antennae and knee-jerk reactions go up. Same with the words “discrimination” and “extortion”.

So I agree that getting ahead of a possible “safety issue” report with a “criminal extortion” report is wise.

2 Likes

One other thing, Hut. Aside from worries about your Airbnb (which others have addressed nicely) you should consult a lawyer and if possible cut this guy off and hire someone else to fix whatever problems remain. Do this even it it ends up costing you more. I would NOT trust him… not only to do any more work but to even come onto my property. This guy is bad mojo, and you don’t want him anywhere near you or your stuff. More than once I’ve Kissed A$$ with a recalcitrant contractor, and no matter how rational/nice/insistent I am, it never really ends well. And THIS GUY HAS THREATENED YOU. Again, consult a lawyer, but I’d tell him he’s out and he’s got as much from me as he’s gonna get.

3 Likes